any fighters on here?

mizanation

Yeah, purple belt. Getting my arse kicked so badly this week though that it doesn't feel worth it...

The 2 blackbelts in the photo are my instructor, Felipe Souza (3rd degree blackbelt) and his instructor, José Henrique Leão Teixeira, 6th degree blackbelt and vice president of the CBJJ.

Hell yes! Congratulations man! Now that i've got a somewhat normal schedule at my job i'm hoping to get back in the gym at least twice a week. It's been months since i've trained due to my recent unemployment/lack of funds.

I'm so looking forward to getting back on the mat.

I've had a bad week this week, got choked OUT on monday by a whitebelt, yesterday was open mat and everyone wanted to go 100% the whole time, got bruises across my cheek and ears from a whitebelt/judo brownbelt with a persistant head scissors fetish and then had to berate the inhouse bluebelt competition monster for agreeing to go light then trying to take my arm/head/leg home with him whenever he saw an opening.

Shoulda taken 6 months off to let everyone forget i'd been promoted!

I took 10 months out before my blue when I broke my arm and leg and then 3 years out for uni and I'm so glad to be back training, you'll love/hate being back!

3 minutes. Technique is good but needs alot of stamina to really last the rounds.

ya tell me about it, the strikes and kicks aren't too bad but its the clinching that wears me the fuck out.

schools getting in the way of me training for the time being but i started taking yoga classes, digging it a lot and hopefully will get me limber enough to jump back into muay thai soon enough without too much of a handicap.

• 1 month later...

been working 12hrs a day, 6 days a week for the past few months. i finally have my weekends off and i'm looking forward to 2 days of weekend bjj soon.

hopefully i can get my game back soon and compete in the near future.

• 1 month later...

Thought i'd ressurect this thread...

Had some good advice last week from one of our brown belts about my passivity and mental game. Made a real attempt this week to follow his advice and it really helped. Trying to get quite a bit stronger as I feel my below average strength is holding me back, my game is pretty technical but I often have difficulty with people I should dominate because they're stronger and more explosive.

Did you manage to start training again, Lendo?

Ha, I missed this thread.

Anyways – Had some free time open up at the beginning of the month, so I decided to sign up for jiu-jitsu at the gym where I've been training muay thai, and it's really incredible to finally be learning in a structured, friendly atmosphere.

I'm pretty much getting my ass kicked 24/7, but it's a lot of fun. :)

RIP Helio... :(

I just read his Wikipedia article and came across this, an anecdote from when Masahiko Kimura (yes that's where the move came from) was battling Hélio Gracie.

. As soon as Helio fell, I pinned him by Kuzure-kami-shiho-gatame. I held still for 2 or 3 minutes, and then tried to smother him by belly. Helio shook his head trying to breathe. He could not take it any longer, and tried to push up my body extending his left arm.

That moment, I grabbed his left wrist with my right hand, and twisted up his arm. I applied Ude-garami. I thought he would surrender immediately. But Helio would not tap the mat. I had no choice but keep on twisting the arm. The stadium became quiet. The bone of his arm was coming close to the breaking point. Finally, the sound of bone breaking echoed throughout the stadium. Helio still did not surrender. His left arm was already powerless. Under this rule, I had no choice but twist the arm again. There was plenty of time left. I twisted the left arm again. Another bone was broken. Helio still did not tap.

That guy was a hero. :)

A quote from an old Playboy interview with Helio...

"Helio declared without mincing words that less intelligent students learn the techniques of jiu-jitsu better and more quickly. "Intelligent people think too much before executing"."

ive been lucky enough to help with the kids classes at my school. ive noticed that girls always pick the the techniques way faster/better than the boys.

does that mean boys are smarter? no, girls just pay more attention to details. :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

competed in my first blue belt tournament over the weekend.

first match-- i got a really clean osotogari straight to side control > instantly got full mount > tapped him out with gi choke.

second match (finals)-- guy pulled guard. wasnt able to pass > reversal ended up in my guard > wasnt able to sweep > no pts. then there was 2min overtime. then another 1min overtime. then an unlimited overtime. he got a double leg on me the 3rd overtime (i was dead after ~10mins).

oh well, good experience in preparation for the pan-ams.

that is all....

bump.

WAYWT:

25748_860874777941_6004692_47455075_32533_n.jpg

Sitting at work watching Mundials 2009, so inspired to get back to class after a week off, got a new guard pass I wanna try out and a new omoplata sweep too. Also had me rethinking my response to people standing in my gwuard and choking people when I have their back. Lumberjack choke and cradle choke FTW!!

Lost 10kg since January and it's got me moving much better and being more aggressive too.

Gonna get the sickest/geekiest purple RVDDW gi with lightening bolts on it too when I get paid!

rvgear0033-jacket-purple-white.jpg

hmm i dont have a black gi yet.. maybe i should get the black with yellow lightening bolts..

but purple is MIGHTY tempting. sizing seems a bit weird.. but apparently a 5 is an A2.

upon perusing the site, cross post into the varsity jacket thread?

rv09aw003a_s.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...