any fighters on here?

mizanation

really...hmmm, I was there around that time too, from 2000-2002, then I took a break for B school and started up at AMA again like a year and a half ago. I'm lucky to make 1 or 2 classes a week now.

I don't roll very much, take more muy thai, street fighting and the phase classes.

We might have sparred a few times..small world.

yeah, MT classes back then were pretty nuts with Yeydy, Gerald, little Japanese guy name Shin I think it was...and a big tall English guy, I think he went with Christian from what I heard. Old classes were pretty intense...still gets pretty crazy once in a while. You ever go to those Friday Night Fights (used to be Church street)..pretty fun, at least the MT fights.

yeah, the MT "class" was pretty hardcore back in the day. n00bs would get fucked up!

classes would start with 500 jumping jacks or thai kicks, then sparring, then drills, then PT, then more sparring. newcomers were ritualistically brutalized and weeded out so only the strong would survive!!! ah. the good old days. and we were sparring with bag gloves, without headgear. boy, that was stupid.

To the Anderson's guys — anybody know where Shin Horikawa is these days? I know I asked miz once about him, but then this thread popped up, and I thought I should ask again. He's a really cool guy, and slightly off, too.

To the Anderson's guys — anybody know where Shin Horikawa is these days? I know I asked miz once about him, but then this thread popped up, and I thought I should ask again. He's a really cool guy, and slightly off, too.

ang, yeah i mentioned him above....he was a freaking animal...little dude but legs were like bats....dan said he got married and is doing computer graphics or something...I didnt know him well but I was schooled by him a few times.....

yeah, the MT "class" was pretty hardcore back in the day. n00bs would get fucked up!

classes would start with 500 jumping jacks or thai kicks, then sparring, then drills, then PT, then more sparring. newcomers were ritualistically brutalized and weeded out so only the strong would survive!!! ah. the good old days. and we were sparring with bag gloves, without headgear. boy, that was stupid.

yep, they cooled down a bit though...i remember 2 different people getting knocked out and 1 guy ran to the window and puked from the conditioning....AWESOME!! haha

hard enough to get some people to come to MT...few times this summer there were only 2 or 3 guys in class...I still hate toyotas and all those damn crawls....i'm such a pussy in my older age.....

yep, they cooled down a bit though...i remember 2 different people getting knocked out and 1 guy ran to the window and puked from the conditioning....AWESOME!! haha

hard enough to get some people to come to MT...few times this summer there were only 2 or 3 guys in class...I still hate toyotas and all those damn crawls....i'm such a pussy in my older age.....

yeah, new people would come in who did kungfu or some crap and get the living shit beat out of them. we were actively encouraged to destroy the weaklings mercilessly. not really my thing anymore, but it's fun to reminisce.

Ah. Fighting.

It's a real shame to see traditional shaolin kung fu and the older Chinese martial arts looked down upon in most areas of America. There's so many watered down establishments that market their mix of knowledge as kung fu, and it gives us a bad image. The sort of conditioning shaolin practitioners went through puts the "500 jumping jacks" and other mediocre trainings to shame. Holding a stance for an hour, pulling nails out of a tree to increase finger grip and strength, doing stances and sparring on top of plum stakes to perfect balance... it's all very real.

Despite the training style, if you possess the skills of Iron Palm (This is what's being used when people can break a stack of bricks with a slap of the palm, or back hand, or chop; they can also choose which brick to break in a stack) and Iron Body, as was popular at the Shaolin Temple. Look it up (Wing Lam has good stuff for beginners, if interested); it's fascinating stuff. Internal power has always captivated me. All you need is one blow. But that's not very entertaining for audiences, I suppose.

Ah. Fighting.

It's a real shame to see traditional shaolin kung fu and the older Chinese martial arts looked down upon in most areas of America. There's so many watered down establishments that market their mix of knowledge as kung fu, and it gives us a bad image. The sort of conditioning shaolin practitioners went through puts the "500 jumping jacks" and other mediocre trainings to shame. Holding a stance for an hour, pulling nails out of a tree to increase finger grip and strength, doing stances and sparring on top of plum stakes to perfect balance... it's all very real.

Despite the training style, if you possess the skills of Iron Palm (This is what's being used when people can break a stack of bricks with a slap of the palm, or back hand, or chop; they can also choose which brick to break in a stack) and Iron Body, as was popular at the Shaolin Temple. Look it up (Wing Lam has good stuff for beginners, if interested); it's fascinating stuff. Internal power has always captivated me. All you need is one blow. But that's not very entertaining for audiences, I suppose.

Its not just Chinese Martial Arts thats been watered down... MARTIAL ARTS as a whole has been watered down.

You will hardly see any truly traditional studios anymore. And even if they are "traditional," they will of course be somewat eclectic.

Doing stances for a certain amount of time, is probably the best way to condition your body.

Eventho I dont train anymore, I used to practice holding certain stances for say 5 mins a time, switch stance, etc etc...

Its more mental than physical, much more.

• 3 months later...
cool, i'm glad you're still training. do you have cauliflower ears? luckily, i haven't screwed my ears up yet--and i don't wear ear guards. my ears have gotten "chunkier" but haven't had a serious blow up (knock on wood).

Don't mean to bump this from the dead but I've started to notice that my ears are getting sorta chunky. If I just take a break, is it possible that it will just go down on its own? Does icing help? Most people can't tell right now but once I point it out, they can see it.

What makes more people prone to getting cauliflower ear? Is it more likely to develop from rolling with continuos mild impact, or a sudden strike (ala boxing)?

I would consider myself to have small ears and I thought that would help. I've only just started BJJ since July of '07 and thats with a a 2 month break.

Don't mean to bump this from the dead but I've started to notice that my ears are getting sorta chunky. If I just take a break, is it possible that it will just go down on its own? Does icing help? Most people can't tell right now but once I point it out, they can see it.

What makes more people prone to getting cauliflower ear? Is it more likely to develop from rolling with continuos mild impact, or a sudden strike (ala boxing)?

I would consider myself to have small ears and I thought that would help. I've only just started BJJ since July of '07 and thats with a a 2 month break.

Icing might help but once the swelling has hardened, surgery is the only way to clear it up. You'll get cauliflower mostly from people grabbing your head and squeezing (headlocks and such like). Only way to stop it is to wear ear guards or stop letting people grab your head!

• 3 weeks later...
i had Muay Thai for a year and that was like 4 years ago so basically im back to square one hahaha

anyone know amy cheap good gyms in nyc/nj that offers Muay Thai?

theres a pretty good guy at crunch on lafayette street, hes expensive but good. he does both private and group sessions.

I've been doing jujutsu and budo taijutsu for a couple of years, and I'm starting judo again soon, just for the randori really because we don't do enough of it in jujutsu.