8 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse

Jesse

bored

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • joined 19 march 04

Posted 19 March 2004 - 06:05 AM

I am looking for meccas of design, fashion, food, music and cocktail for a 10 day fly through.

You fav place in Tokyo for any of the above?

And outside Tokyo places to visits?

xx

#2 titus

titus

semibored

• Pip
  • 84 posts
  • joined 08 december 03

Posted 19 March 2004 - 10:19 AM

Just been there once but dying to go back.
So it's not an insider's guide, just humble opinions.
Best shops: Prada on Ometesando (stunning - architects: Herzog & de Meuron)
Seibu in Shibuya: very convenient - many in-store shop (I like Cabane de Zucca and Final Home)
Tokyu Hands in Shibuya or in Shinjuku next to Takashimaya: amazing, you name it they have it.

Don't miss Mori Museum in Roppongi Hills (great shops too)

Restaurants:
Kozue in the Park Hyatt Hotel: excellent japanese food, gorgeous views, beautiful room... expensive (have a cocktail in the New York bar and feel like Bil Murray)
If you want a break from japanese food, try l'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Roppongi Hills: top french cuisine but tapas-style.

#3 b

b

bored

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • joined 22 march 04

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:44 PM

for a day( or two) take a train out towards Kamakura. Get a glimpse of life outside mega Tokyo. Take a wander around the temples that dot the landscape and the the Diabutsu. I was in Tokyo for 2 weeks. Glad I took that little break from it...

#4 wandaframe

wandaframe

bored

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • joined 01 april 04

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:05 PM

Harajuku is the place to find fun, indie shops and cafes. People stand in line for hours to get into some of the best places. Check out the alleys and lower levels, some of the trendiest places are practically hidden.

#5 dead_poets66

dead_poets66

bored

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • joined 26 april 04

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:15 AM

Check out Daikanyama - a feast for the eyes, cool shopping hunts and cafes.

Also at the back lanes of Aoyama and Harajuku, there are lots of funky stores scattered here.

Not forgetting Odaiba - I went last April and attended the Design Festa, an eye-opening experience! ;P
seize the day images/icon_smile_evil.gif

#6 QUINLANDO

QUINLANDO

bored

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • joined 31 may 04

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:23 AM

Asakusa, Ueno, Daikyama, Nakameguro are my personal favs....
Harajuku is dope to if you like shopping & low blood sugar (mad visual stimuli)

#7 bettine

bettine

bored

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • joined 31 may 04

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:29 AM

the best restaurant i went to in tokyo is part of the chanto chain, its called daikayama. the design of the restaurant is amazing, and it features in some art books. amazing. this is why the japanese have it down.

#8 minirobot

minirobot

bored

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • joined 06 june 04

Posted 06 June 2004 - 04:45 AM

there is a beautiful buddhist temple called Houkokuji in kamakura famous for its bamboo forest. this is a feast for the eyes if there ever was one. i was just there, and it was breathtaking.

the tokyo forum is beautiful also.

if you need a break from the fast pace of shibuya/harajuku, i suggest you visit shitamachi (nezu station on the chiyoda line) to check out old old shopfronts that specialize in traditional japanese candy, crackers, there's an old man who sells birds, an old lady i bought tatami thongs from (...so sweet and great souvenirs), and just wandering around you will find great places to eat. close to ueno park, this area is good to just stroll. also, go to MIHOSHI for the best shirotama cream anmitsu in the world. ameyoko near ueno station is great for cheap sneakers and tons of people hawking their wares market-style.

i miss japan already....i hope you have fun.

#9 sugarboots

sugarboots

semibored

• Pip
  • 169 posts
  • joined 04 december 03

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:22 PM

there is a flea market and a weird outdoor rave thing going on weekly in Yoyogi Park. I'll be going back to japan for hopefully 2 - 3 weeks in september. went last year at the same time . . . cheap flights.