football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

• 2 weeks later...

capello singled him out for praise, but surely it must make him feel a little daft, given how long he left him out of the team?

lamps and gerrard never worked because they're both attack-minded, but parker has no qualms staying behind - which is why he's brought out the best in modric, and he can do the same for whoever he's partnered with for england.

lamps and gerrard never worked because they're both attack-minded, but parker has no qualms staying behind - which is why he's brought out the best in modric, and he can do the same for whoever he's partnered with for england.

lampard is so one-dimensional he makes darren bent look like wayne rooney

but do you guys think football's noticeably more popular now? say, more than it was 5 years ago?

a little late on this but the US team is absolutely more popular now - as demonstrated by the movable frat party that is the american outlaws.

i would say that MLS isn't necessarily bigger on the whole but it's definitely more on the radar of proper footie supporters and the hardcore away-type support has grown. you have to remember that 8 years ago, US Soccer (the american FA) begged fifa to tie a portion of the MLS TV rights with the world cup 2006/2010 (which they did). this time around it's separate so whatever happens may speak volumes as to where the MLS truly sits.

i should also note that paul barber left spurs to run the vancouver whitecaps so that should tell its own story

i posted on twitter, but it seemed so trite that i deleted it.

but honestly man, i'm never really concerned when any celebrity dies but I was genuinely shocked by Gary Speed's death, the apparent fact that it's a suicide makes it all the more worse.

the guy has to be one of the premier league greats so far, he's been in the game since I first really began following football around 94/95 (i remember because of the merlin stickerbooks, heh - spent so much on those bastards) and still to this day was a focal point in everyday footballing matters.

very, very sad.

i posted on twitter, but it seemed so trite that i deleted it. but honestly man, i'm never really concerned when any celebrity dies but I was genuinely shocked by Gary Speed's death, the apparent fact that it's a suicide makes it all the more worse.

apparently news around wales is that the whole thing was caused by the daily star about to run a story outing him... if true absolutely shocking in addition to being devastating