comics/graphic novels you've been reading

jubei

Not a true classic, I suppose, but I rather enjoyed the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" series by DC.

Yup. Liked that too. Down to the George Perez artwork.

Recently DC did the Infinite Crisis, a sequel sort of. That turned out to be a pale comparison to Crisis on Infinite Earths.

the john constantine series

as for graphic novels id reallyyyyy recommend watchmen, v for vendetta, from hell, (i like alan miller books cause of the distinct character traits each of them have) and maybe black orchid.

ull like the house of m series by vertigo if ur looking for a monumental story with more action and less character development.

Constantine was good but gets predictable ie. the gambler who gambles his and his mates' souls with the devil/demons.

You mean Alan Moore.

Black Orchid wasnt Gaiman's best work. Even Marvel 1602 was much better.

House of M was Marvel not Vertigo. Monumental yes but disappointing. The House of M series turned out to be one of those alternative realities series. And reminds me of Jim Shooter's Secret Wars in terms of offshoots from a mini-series. Have not read Civil War but should be better.

oops ya i meant alan moore. black orchid was..... different.

others i like would be neverwhere, blankets and Top 10.

black orchid actually had a 'green theme' way before many other comics.

Top 10 is interesting. Alan Moore had an everybody on earth has super-powers theme going on. I dont know who started it or came up with it first but Alex Ross did it for Earth X for Marvel, and Grant Morrison did it in one of his comics for his run on JLA.

Yup. Liked that too. Down to the George Perez artwork.

Recently DC did the Infinite Crisis, a sequel sort of. That turned out to be a pale comparison to Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I agree; Infinite Crisis was not that good. I did enjoy Superboy-Prime's transition into a villain though. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

I agree; Infinite Crisis was not that good. I did enjoy Superboy-Prime's transition into a villain though. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

Hmm Superboy-Prime became so powerful he can even kick the asses of Superman Earth 2 and the present Superman in DC continuity? Weird. I understand about Superboy-Prime being immune to kryptonite but that still does not account for his super-duper powers. Unless staying in the Flash's warp speed thingy actually boosted his powers.

But I did notice a gradual undoing of major DC storylines after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

The whole idea of Crisis is to do away with all those multiple earths which was a cop out in terms of continuity. But Grant Morrison did the same thing in his JLA Earth 2 graphic novel.

Superman is also back to his dad wearing that 70s headband and cape and having a Super-dog. Contrary to John Byrne's remaking of him.

Jason Todd is revived. Hal Jordan is revived as well. Green Lantern Corp is revived. Green Arrow is revived (although he died before Crisis). Would Barry Allen be next?

Hmm Superboy-Prime became so powerful he can even kick the asses of Superman Earth 2 and the present Superman in DC continuity? Weird. I understand about Superboy-Prime being immune to kryptonite but that still does not account for his super-duper powers. Unless staying in the Flash's warp speed thingy actually boosted his powers.

But I did notice a gradual undoing of major DC storylines after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

The whole idea of Crisis is to do away with all those multiple earths which was a cop out in terms of continuity. But Grant Morrison did the same thing in his JLA Earth 2 graphic novel.

Superman is also back to his dad wearing that 70s headband and cape and having a Super-dog. Contrary to John Byrne's remaking of him.

Jason Todd is revived. Hal Jordan is revived as well. Green Lantern Corp is revived. Green Arrow is revived (although he died before Crisis). Would Barry Allen be next?

Well, Superboy-Prime is supposed to retain powers that are similar to Pre-Crisis Superman, so it's understandable that he'd be more powerful than the two (he could push planets easily after all). Plus, he had that Anti-Monitor armor that boosted the energy he received from the Yellow Sun, so I guess that'd account for his superior power.

And yea.. haha, Crisis on Infinite Earths is pretty much useless, since a lot of the elements that it sought to remove were reinstated later. Another Supergirl is back after all, and Powergirl somehow managed to survive the whole incident -- wtf? Doesn't make sense. Same thing with the Anti-Monitor -- why the hell is he back?!

Well .. at least the return of Anti-Monitor brought about the return of Parallax. :) lol I expect another Multiverse-clean up in another decade or so. Named simply "Crisis" to sound epic.

Well, Superboy-Prime is supposed to retain powers that are similar to Pre-Crisis Superman, so it's understandable that he'd be more powerful than the two (he could push planets easily after all). Plus, he had that Anti-Monitor armor that boosted the energy he received from the Yellow Sun, so I guess that'd account for his superior power.

And yea.. haha, Crisis on Infinite Earths is pretty much useless, since a lot of the elements that it sought to remove were reinstated later. Another Supergirl is back after all, and Powergirl somehow managed to survive the whole incident -- wtf? Doesn't make sense. Same thing with the Anti-Monitor -- why the hell is he back?!

Well .. at least the return of Anti-Monitor brought about the return of Parallax. :) lol I expect another Multiverse-clean up in another decade or so. Named simply "Crisis" to sound epic.

Still not convinced why Superboy Prime is so powerful. Forgot about the armour that harness yellow sun but was pre-crisis Superman much more powerful than present Superman? In fact he kicked Titans/Outsider's asses and even 2 Supermen. Hmm. Does that make him the most powerful in DC Universe?

Powergirl is hot. With those super big breasts and lesbian like look. Dont know how Superman 2 can bear not to bonk her. Psycho Pirate obviously knew a good thing when he saw it.

True about Supergirl. Forgot about that. At least, the first returned Supergirl is an alien shapeshifter. The present one is actually Clark's cousin which negates the original idea that Superman is the only surviving Kryptonian compared to the tons of Kryptonians running around. But considering Kandor and General Zod was brought back, I guess Kara-El wouldnt be far behind.

Haha. Parallax. Still reading that run by Geoff Johns. Fell asleep reading it.

Forgot to mention Brad Meltzer's Identity Crisis is so much better. Much better than the crap Kevin Smith dishes out. J Michael Stryzinski's Supreme and Spider-man are excellent as well. Joss Whedon's X-men is not as good as Stryzinski but better than Smith.

Still not convinced why Superboy Prime is so powerful. Forgot about the armour that harness yellow sun but was pre-crisis Superman much more powerful than present Superman? In fact he kicked Titans/Outsider's asses and even 2 Supermen. Hmm. Does that make him the most powerful in DC Universe?

Powergirl is hot. With those super big breasts and lesbian like look. Dont know how Superman 2 can bear not to bonk her. Psycho Pirate obviously knew a good thing when he saw it.

True about Supergirl. Forgot about that. At least, the first returned Supergirl is an alien shapeshifter. The present one is actually Clark's cousin which negates the original idea that Superman is the only surviving Kryptonian compared to the tons of Kryptonians running around. But considering Kandor and General Zod was brought back, I guess Kara-El wouldnt be far behind.

Haha. Parallax. Still reading that run by Geoff Johns. Fell asleep reading it.

Forgot to mention Brad Meltzer's Identity Crisis is so much better. Much better than the crap Kevin Smith dishes out. J Michael Stryzinski's Supreme and Spider-man are excellent as well. Joss Whedon's X-men is not as good as Stryzinski but better than Smith.

Well, Pre-Crisis Superman was able to juggle planets and extinguish stars with his super breath. He also had a plethora of other abilities that post-Crisis Superman lost. I think the 3 most powerful, existing DC characters are:

1) God

2) Mr. Mxyztplk

3) Superman-Prime from DC Million or The Spectre (my fav superhero haha.)

But I think Superboy-Prime is the strongest Superman if you exclude Superman-Prime and possibly Superman M*.

Yeah, damn .. Powergirl could seriously give a super tittyfuck. And Psycho Pirate.. poor guy. LOL at getting his face owned.

I have read Identity Crisis as well. Doctor Light was seriously fucked before he got that lobotomy (fuck that rapist! He deserved it.) But I enjoyed it; it had an extremely interesting plot.

Oh, and I really enjoyed Emperor Joker; I highly recommend it if you like seeing a godly Joker.

Well, Pre-Crisis Superman was able to juggle planets and extinguish stars with his super breath. He also had a plethora of other abilities that post-Crisis Superman lost. I think the 3 most powerful, existing DC characters are:

1) God

2) Mr. Mxyztplk

3) Superman-Prime from DC Million or The Spectre (my fav superhero haha.)

But I think Superboy-Prime is the strongest Superman if you exclude Superman-Prime and possibly Superman M*.

Yeah, damn .. Powergirl could seriously give a super tittyfuck. And Psycho Pirate.. poor guy. LOL at getting his face owned.

I have read Identity Crisis as well. Doctor Light was seriously fucked before he got that lobotomy (fuck that rapist! He deserved it.) But I enjoyed it; it had an extremely interesting plot.

Oh, and I really enjoyed Emperor Joker; I highly recommend it if you like seeing a godly Joker.

1. God? I thought Mike Carey replaced him with Michael's daughter whats her name in Lucifer?

2. Spectre was eventually beaten by most of earth's magic based super heroes so he couldnt be that powerful.

3. Who is Superman*? Nope. Missed Emperor Joker. Cant think of any recent must read DC comics of late other than what I mentioned.

4. Mxyztplk is just one of the many 6th dimension midgets around isn't it? So he cant be that powerful as well.

1. God? I thought Mike Carey replaced him with Michael's daughter whats her name in Lucifer?

2. Spectre was eventually beaten by most of earth's magic based super heroes so he couldnt be that powerful.

3. Who is Superman*? Nope. Missed Emperor Joker. Cant think of any recent must read DC comics of late other than what I mentioned.

4. Mxyztplk is just one of the many 6th dimension midgets around isn't it? So he cant be that powerful as well.

I haven't finished reading Lucifer yet, so I didn't know. :(

Well, if you're referring to Day of Vengeance, it still took thousands of the magic based heroes to beat Spectre. He also wasn't himself, since he had no host, so I don't think he could've used his full potential, although I could be wrong. Plus, he was being corrupted by Eclipso.

Superman M* is the 835th century descendant of the original Superman and has augmented powers given by Superman-Prime (the "final" form of the original Superman who chooses to lay dormant in the Yellow Sun for centuries in order to feed off energy to his descendants.) Superman M* can actually punch through the time barrier to get from the 20th century to the 835th century

Mxyztplk is extremely powerful IMO, since he's able to greatly alter and destroy reality if he wishes to do so. Emperor Joker tricked Mxyztplk into receiving 99% of his power, and he was still able to reduce The Spectre into nothing but a caged parrot. He also kept resetting time over and over in order to kill Batman multiple times and had the power to recreate the world however he wanted

I haven't finished reading Lucifer yet, so I didn't know. :(

Superman M* is the 835th century descendant of the original Superman and has augmented powers given by Superman-Prime (the "final" form of the original Superman who chooses to lay dormant in the Yellow Sun for centuries in order to feed off energy to his descendants.) Superman M* can actually punch through the time barrier to get from the 20th century to the 835th century/

Which comic was this from?

• 4 weeks later...

I read The Filth, I think. Covers by Carlos Segura, and story by Morrison.

I have a compilation of Slainê, or however it's written, that's got art by Simon Bisley.

Read Mage, when it was stil the hero discovered. Tried reading the hero defined, but I never got into it.

Got a lot of Tom Strongs. But only the ones by Alan Moore. Also have Top Ten and some other ABCs, from back when Alan Moore wrote it.

Berkley Breathed is a genius. Does he have Outland in a collected volume yet?

Craig Thompson, Paul Pope and Corey Lewis are my favourites, alot of solid titles from each of them.

Chris Ware's work is incredible but so dense it's hard to read alot of it.

Sam Hiti's brushwork is my favourite style but he needs to improve his story telling.

the Optic Nerve series is pretty much the only comic i read. can anyone recommend stuff in a similar vein?

There's a whole bunch of indie-romance books out there, but the only one I'm really familiar with is Blankets by Craig Thompson. I'd love to read more stuff in the genre, but only the well-written stuff... after a while, some of it starts to get a little too emo for my tastes...

I think Love & Rockets is another popular one. And many people have enjoyed Strangers in Paradise, which just ended recently.

Just bought the trades to Morrison's Animal Man. What a mindtrip. The guy is definitely one of the top 3 writers in the business right now. Also picked up Warren Ellis's Crecy.

Has Vertigo come out with any good titles recently? The only one that I still consistently pick up is Fables.

I used to work at a comic book store part-time to pay for my weekly pick-ups. I quit in October, though. Haven't read anything new since. I did purchase The Long Halloween and Dark Victory...great early Batman stories. Love the Loeb/Sale combo.

...but anyway..

You ever seen Clerks? Remember the Milk Maids? Well, every week, a bunch of kids - the same damn ones - would come in and browse the 25cent bins looking for 90s Spidey or X-men issues. They'd spend 20 minutes on the floor, in everyone's way, suckin on McDonalds milkshakes, picking at their scabs, and going through every single issue of every box.

it's the fucking 25cent bin, y'know. We put the shitty shit, there....like West Coast Avengers and Sleepwalker. -_-

They never bought anything, either.

EDIT: the_state: I reccomend Yoshihiro Tatsumi's The Push Man, which, like Optic Nerve, is also published by Drawn & Quarterly. At SDCC 2006, Adrian Tomine (Optic Nerve creator) spoke about Tatsumi's influence on his own work. Meeting Tatsumi and Tomine was like...the highlight of my trip to SD. xD

EDIT2: Figured I'd just show y'all what I read (pix are a bit too big to post)

My Main Collection (mostly consists of silver age DC): http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/Laborpsus/IMG_0098.jpg

My Essentials: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/Laborpsus/IMG_0103.jpg

"Sunday Comics": http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/Laborpsus/IMG_0104.jpg

i love animal man; i had the original run, but sold them all for a song

anything grant morrison does is worth looking into

what has he written lately?

DC is working him pretty hard. Did you read 7 Soldiers of Victory? The first half was great but the end kind of petered out. Maybe because I just don't give a crap about Mr. Miracle. He's currently writing both Batman and All Star Superman. Both are good but All Star Superman is just amazing.

DC is working him pretty hard. Did you read 7 Soldiers of Victory? The first half was great but the end kind of petered out. Maybe because I just don't give a crap about Mr. Miracle. He's currently writing both Batman and All Star Superman. Both are good but All Star Superman is just amazing.

To add to this: DDML, have you read his X-Men run? it's pretty out there... and like a lot of other stuff he does, it starts out with this huge, great ideas and then sort of falls apart at the end. It was recently collected in an omnibus volume (which means that you might be able to snag a bunch of the trades on eBay for a good price)