Hair Products

Anton

Not sure which supertalk this would go under, but I am sure it has a place somewhere. I recently started caring more about what my hair does and how it performs and was wondering if anyone knew product that will keep your hair looking wet for the whole day/night without being too oily. I've once put grapeseed oil in, and that did the trick but looked a bit too greasy. My hair is a bit textured so when it's wet it seperates nicely, however it tries fast for the same reason and gets super frizzy.

Also I would prefer a product with a more masculine scent, but really if there is only one option and it smells like lavender or rosehips I think I could manage. A product available in Canada (western) would be helpful too. Thanks in advance and please migrate this post if there is a more appropriate Supertalk for it to be under.

not sure if this applies to you at all but i'll share what hair product i use :D

I use a japanese Gatsby hair clay. thickest shit ever and since i'm asian the thickest wax that i find at local grocery stores dont cut it. I've also used Sebastian clay but its spendy. Gives it a nice matte finish (dont want that gell'ed hair look). so it looks like i just crawled out of bed and somehow managed to make it look good.

but why not using like...gell? makes it look super wet @_@

Hmmm, I also have some questions about hair products. Anyone here know how to pull off hair like the Japanese? Or is it just a genetic thing, Japanese their straight hair and really soft hair? I have used this Lucido-L hair wax from Japan and works nice, makes my hair look dry and wet or something I think.

Anyone know of any online shop that sells Japanese hair products or something similar?

Thanks.

Hmmm, I also have some questions about hair products. Anyone here know how to pull off hair like the Japanese? Or is it just a genetic thing, Japanese their straight hair and really soft hair? I have used this Lucido-L hair wax from Japan and works nice, makes my hair look dry and wet or something I think.

Anyone know of any online shop that sells Japanese hair products or something similar?

Thanks.

If you have a Uwajimaya somewhere near, they ususally carry a whole line of Gatsby products.

Well I woke up today with the grapeseed Oil still in it and I'd like to say it still had the look it did yesterday. I just had a shower and most of it atleast felt like it came out with two goes of shampoo, but it still more seperated than most days. I don't really want the asian spiked look, but I like the wet, seperated, relaxed and shiney look (if that makes any sense :P) I'll maybe take a pic or two to show you guys what I mean.

garnier fructis surf hair. cheap. cheap cheap. haha

Cosign. Sallys' Beauty Supply has a line of knockoff versions of TIGI and Paul Mitchell, etc. Their version of Surf Wax smells like coconut.

Thanks.

It also helps if you get your hair cut by someone familiar with "Japanese" hairstyles. They do a lot of razoring and texturizing, which thins out the hair and adds dimension. Most hairdressers here have assumptions about hair that don't translate into getting that Japanese look. There's also a lot of perming going on, which I won't try. But that certainly does bring hair sculpting to a whole different level.

do not shampoo everyday, just wash your hair with cold water and scrub your scalp...then use dr brohnners ( i use peppermint) once or twice a week....It will keep your natural oils in your hair so after you shower, you should be able to just slick your hair back and it will dry in whatever style u want. I stopped using shampoo and any styling products months ago and would never use them again

do not shampoo everyday, just wash your hair with cold water and scrub your scalp...then use dr brohnners ( i use peppermint) once or twice a week....It will keep your natural oils in your hair so after you shower, you should be able to just slick your hair back and it will dry in whatever style u want. I stopped using shampoo and any styling products months ago and would never use them again

This post strikes my interests, is Brohnners an oil type thing? Cold water showers!?? More info would be appreciated

Dr brohnners is vegan all natural castille soap. Its basically a "wash anything and everything cleanser" alot of people use it to wash their jeans on this board, or used to for that matter. You can also use it to wash your entire body (its 100000% safe). The peppermint is very invigorating. You can buy it for very cheap at health food stores and comes in a few fragrances. I guess Im paranoid, but I dont trust styling products at all, so I go the all natural route. And I always get the impression that gels and pomades etc are just trying to emulate what a perfect balance of natural oils in your hair should look like to begin with. I mean, have you ever washed your hair and then took a nap or went to sleep? and when you wake up its just the perfect texture where u can style it? well those are your natural oils, why use styling products?> Some people eqaute natural oils with smelly grease and dead skin buildup on your scalp, thats where "cool" water washing comes in. Take a normal shower and when it comes time to wash your scalp turn the cold water up and push your body out of the way. then thoroughly scrub your scalp with nothing but your hands and the cooler water. This will stimulate the scalp, wash away any dead skin, and wash away any odors associated with oils etc. leaving you with clean, natural, hair. Then after a few days of this, you throw in the brohnners for a thorough cleansing. brohnners costs like 7 bucks at whole foods....try it out for 2 weeks...what do u have to lose?....after a few days you should be able to towel dry your hair into whatever style you want.

Thanks.

a curling iron or a perm is the easiest route, or you can spend alot of time using your fingers

Matrix dirtytrix is really good if you like something that can hold pretty much anything. It doesn't wash off easily (takes about two washes to get most of it off) and might be too strong for most people (i'm asian so its perfect for me). It has a waxy texture and gives out moderate shine depending on how much you apply. I'm interested in seeing whether there are any japanese hair products like that, so i'll probably go look around for some after i finish my current tub.

Also alot of the hairstyles you see in those japanese hairstyle mags/websites have alot of work done to it. They don't just wack on hair products and bang out comes the final result. Theres alot of blow drying, curling, straighting etc involved. However you can achieve most of the looks in those magazine if you goto a decent asian hair stylist (not trying to be racist here). Asian hair is alot different and from my experience you end up with a better cut if you goto asian hair stylists. If they are good, and styled it the way you wanted, you can achieve those magazine looks quite easily with pretty much any hair product.

• 2 weeks later...

However you can achieve most of the looks in those magazine if you goto a decent asian hair stylist (not trying to be racist here). Asian hair is alot different and from my experience you end up with a better cut if you goto asian hair stylists. If they are good, and styled it the way you wanted, you can achieve those magazine looks quite easily with pretty much any hair product.

definately. the local hairstylists near me just don't know how to cut asian hair. finally went into the city to hairmates after years of terrible haircuts, got the best haircut i've ever had. for styling, i use real puala dry wax, it gives your hair hold and a nice, textured but natural look.

Redken, American Grew, and BB have masculine smells. But trust me, the smell hardly matters when you wear product all day. All the ones I've listed above are enjoyable. Personally, if you're on the more fruity side (scent-wise :D ), Bed Head is good stuff.

definately. the local hairstylists near me just don't know how to cut asian hair. finally went into the city to hairmates after years of terrible haircuts, got the best haircut i've ever had. for styling, i use real puala dry wax, it gives your hair hold and a nice, textured but natural look.

did aim cut your hair? that guy is hilarious as hell

I use a combination of Schwarzkopf products, hair wax, fiber cream and gel. And also American Crew when I run out of other fiber.

My hair stays moist, but not too wet and not too dry. Here are some examples of when I style it.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5343/butcheredif2.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2318/butchered2bs2.jpg

And when I grow it a bit longer

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5313/espritpantsrlworkshirtc3lt.jpg

Best tips I can give you is to experiment with all products out there and shop around for a good stylist. It took my ages to find my most favourite stylists in Sydney.