Up and In in Paris and London

Hola muchachos y muchachas!

Client work is taking me to Paris and London in a few weeks, and I need your recommendations as to lodgings in both cities. The Metropolitan and the Hempel look like my kind of places, but may be too rich for my client's blood by about 15%. Any clever ideas?

I shall, of course, report back. (This will be my first time on Eurostar, too. Always late to the game, sigh.)

LONDON:

Sanderson and St Martins Lane (both Ian Schrager's hotels) are very nice (Sanderson is posher - the Purple Bar is fabulous - St Martins Lane is closer to the nightlife)

PARIS:

Hotel Costes is still a classic of the hip parisian scene (best kept secret: their gorgeous pool) and located in a very good shopping area (Colette, Gucci, H. Lang...)

Hotel de la Tremoille (close to champs Elysées with the hip restaurant Senso)

L'Hotel (on the Rive Gauche - in the art galleries and antique shops area)

In London:

The Halkin - it's close to Hyde Park Corner and a short walk to Harrods and Harvey Nicks

The Blakes - in South Kensington. Has a great restaurant - good place to take a date

No.1 Aldwych - back end of Covent Garden

The Stafford - just off Piccadilly. Quiet given the location

The Four Seasons - great service if money is no object

The Chelsea Hotel - on Sloane St in Knightsbridge

The Cadogan - across the street from the above

In Paris:

Pershing Hall - a stone's throw from the Champs Elysees. Very nice place

Bel-Ami - in St. Germain. Expensive though

Montalembert - set back from the river on the Left Bank. Nice hotel and good location if you want to be close to the Latin Quarter

Georges V (now a Four Seasons hotel) - you can't go wrong here. I just hope Bill Gates is picking up the tab

Le Lavoisier - 10 mins walk from the big department stores. Check the super-review for details

pharis,

I would recommend the Melita House Hotel in 35, Charlwood Street SW1, this is a Georgian House (1830) which was renovated about 18 months ago, it is near Victoria Station, there are some good restaurants nearby. The rooms are simple, modern, clean and cheap by London standards about £85, inc breakfast.

This is not a posh hotel but very good value in a central location near bus, tube and mainline connections.

enjoy London.

Paris is more difficult, I like The Meurice on 228, Rue de Rivoli but that is expensive.

Barriebrdc

for london, ianschrager.com has last-minute offers for st martins lane and saunderson's. i'm not a very big fan of his and i prefer to stay at either one aldwych (also host one of the best health clubs in london) good for covent gd + fleet st area, hotel portabello (cosier, stay in catherine deneuve's favourite room) in notting hill, maddox st apartments (only four, five rooms all suites) which is excellent for soho, bond st. shopping and mayfair or charlotte street hotel (excellent service, club room excellent for presentations) in fitzrovia, off-charing cross rd + oxford st. all above mentioned are around 190-220 pounds per night.

i would stay out of knightsbridge and chelsea -- nothing much happening there these days. hotel hempel has declined beyond belief (although i used to be a regular at both hotel and restaurant, i-thai) and located middle of nowhere. also, great eastern is great if you're working first year analyst hours in i-banking in the city but sucks pretty much for everything else.

Paris is more difficult with higher rates for lesser quality due to high demand. i stay at bel-ami for work which offer great location near blvd st germain (250 euros) but pershing hall if i'm going there for pleasure (400 euros)