Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

I purchased a pair of the Japan Blue - JB0412-ML "military monster denim" in a size 36 from Okayama Denim during their Black Friday sale.  I paid $157.25.  The shipping turn around was 4 to 5 days.  The denim has a tight weave but with a lot of character.  This denim is very stiff.  Even though they are sanforized, I gave them a quick 40 minute soak which lead to some shrinkage.  They feel very crunchy for the first hour or so and then start to soften a little.  The denim felt lighter than what I was expecting for a 16.5 oz fabric.  The rise on these jeans at 10.5 post soak is a little shorter than what I usually wear but is working okay.  I normally wear Iron Heart 555-01's, Oni Denim 527ZR and Samurai S710BK in a size 36.  The fit is a little loose in the waist and then fairly snug the rest of the way down.  Leg opening post soak was around 7.8.  Which is on the tighter side for me.  I would say the fit is somewhat similar to The Stevenson Overalls La Jolla denim I have in size 34 but with a shorter rise and a much stiffer feel.   The color of the dark green weft is really nice but is not really visible from the warp side of the denim.  This is the first pair of Japan Blue denim I've purchased and I would say I'm impressed on the details and finish.  Sorry for the poor photos.

Four more observations for this denim.

#1 - The front pockets are very tight.

#2 - Post soak this denim is bleeding and turning my hands a little blue.  The tightness of the pocket is probably playing a part in this. 

#3 - Post soak - After 4 days of straight wear the denim still feels pretty rigid.  You can feel it behind your knees.

#4 - Still loving the deep blue color and the military green weft.  The color of the weft actual matches really nicely to my Red Wing 8180 Kangatan Portage Green 6 inch Moc's

Hi guys, need some help with Japan Blue sizing. 

I'm going with the JB0206 in either 30 or 31. Just wondering how much these jeans will stretch, as the size 31 waist fits me better, whereas the measurements of the size 30 in thigh and legs etc are what i'm looking for. 

Also, Denimio and blue owl have different measurements on their website. which one should i go with?

They look great.

They can't be 0702. Since that model has black weft and therefore a much darker color. Also, the 0702 doesn't feature the white tab.

IMO, my guess is that these are a pair of 0201's because of the fairly strong taper. The 0701 is more of a straight leg, with minimal taper and a lot tighter fitting. Might be off regarding the cut, but fabric is 100% sure xx01.

Edited by M1stral

Hello guys, I want to get the raw 0201. I am not sure about the size since I dont have any experience with raw unsanforized jeans. I am afraid they can become very small after first soak, plus Mono vintage label is well know for being difficult to strecth, and I dont want to to dedicate months to add pressure in my jeans.

As a reference, I own the Grand Indigo in size 31. It was a bit tight at the beginning, but after some stretching, now is a nice fit.

What size should I get in the 0201, 31 or 32?

Happy new year

I'd go for the same size (31) if they look comparable on the charts, otherwise just find the size with corresponding measurements to your Grand Indigo. My vintage label 0901s haven't shrunk that much with a soak and a 40C wash.

Sweet eBay pick-up over the holidays!

Momotaro x Blue Owl "Midnight Warrior" Skinny Straight 15.7oz Raw - Model BOM001 from 2012.

Only 40 pairs made of this first collaboration between Blue Owl and Momotaro. Super dark indigo with black stitching and "Going to Battle" stripes in black. The fabric on the BOM001 is the same as the Momotaro Vintage Label 0701 and 0201 models.

The original owner purchased them when they were first released, wore them around the house a few times and then they sat for 2 years in his closet.

Since these are so rare there are virtually no evo pics with the exception of the pair below which were worn by Kevin from Blue Owl for 2 years.

Pretty fantastic if you ask me. I'm less than a month in on mine but so far they are one of the best fitting and quality pair of jeans I've ever owned.

Anyone else have a pair of these original collabs?

Here's Kevin's pair at 2 years compared to new:

29n6jdj.jpg 24wrm91.jpg

Edited by Wörn75

Compare the size charts mate.

Momotaro Deep Indigo 15oz "Slim Straight" Raw - Model 0202 (sanforized)

Studio D'Artisan - 103 Mid/Low Rise 15oz (comes in raw & one-wash)

The biggest difference I can see between the cut of the Momotaro and the SDA-103 is that the Momotaro 0202 has a slightly higher front rise by about an inch giving you more room in the top block, but they are more narrow and straight from the thigh down to the leg opening than the SDA's. That's why the Momotaro 0202 description says; "Slim Straight". The SDA-103 is a more traditional cut whereas the Momotaro would be considered a more modern cut.

There's 2 different models:

Momotaro Model 0202 - Indigo X Black 15.7OZ Selvedge Slim Fit Straight 

Momotaro Model 0202 SP - Indigo X Black 15.7OZ Selvedge Slim Fit Straight

They're the exact same jean except one has the "Battle Stripes" and one doesn't. Same denim, same cut.

0202 - No stripes

0202 SP - has white Battle Stripes

:ph34r:

Edited by Wörn75

Some quick close-ups today of the, super dark 15.7oz denim used on my Blue Owl x Momotaro BOM001-Midnight Warriors.

Only 1 month in and already incredible indigo variations, vertical falling and bursts of sparkling electric blue when the sun hits the denim!

These are by far the best pair of jeans I've owned x Stoked !  ~  B) ~ No filters used. True color in direct sunlight. 

mhr0c7.jpg

Direct sunlight + No Filters Used

2rfa96t.jpg

Edited by Wörn75

Blue Owl X Momotaro BOM001 "Midnight Warriors"

15.7oz unsanforized. Super dark, deep pure indigo denim

Black "Going to Battle" stripes (rare)

Black deer skin patch

Black stitching

1st generation collab, only 40 pairs made in 2012

42 days of wear

0 washes

1 soak (remove shrinkage)

**This denim is a trip...so many variations popping off all over the jeans and it just keeps getting better with each passing day as the extra dark indigo starts to leave. 

2192ba1.jpg

* Color is accurate - No flash - No filters

b4jin4.jpg

*Color is accurate - No flash - No filters

30ue04w.jpg

99ge1f.jpg

*Color is accurate - No flash - No filters

o0dkdl.jpg

Edited by Wörn75

I'm working from home today and wearing my 0901s with a mega-cuff! I'm really looking forward to getting these hemmed and bringing them into my rotation in the autumn. They are amazing jeans in terms of denim, construction and details and a great cut for me.