Shopping in Beunos Aires

SuperCassette

second the malbec, i actually am not a huge wine guy but i remembered chicken recomended it and it was lovely. yeah also dont let the decree of high quality cattle industry let you confuse good steaks with good leather goods, i did buy a leather jacket against the recomendations of the future and yeah its not that great, but god teh meals i had were amazing. but then again i didnt do much shopping more sightseeing and food tasting.

• 1 month later...

just got back from 6 days in BA, what a fucking awesome city, i totally recommend it as a travel destination. safe, easy to get around, friendly people, amazing food and nightlife.

I followed the SuFu recommendations and was blown away by Felix's store. right now is sales season so lots of stuff was marked down. there was a large variety of clothes there to suit most tastes, from grungy-looking t-shirts to more conservative (but not boring) button-downs to be worn tucked or untucked. the one thing i thought was funny was that i was hoping to pick up a cool pair of sneakers while down there, and the only things they had were old school Nikes in every imaginable color, which wasn't really what i had in mind. maybe it's just because they were picked out of other stuff, though.

i followed Lonely Planet's recommendation and went to Nakua (http://www.nakua.com.ar/) and found lots of stuff too. then i talked to the guy, since this store is sort of out of the way, and he said there were a few more other places on the same street (Perú between Avenida Independencia and Avenida San Juan). found lots of stuff there too (girls and boys).

the area around Felix's Palermo store is chock full of other similar boutiques (including Diesel and Puma stores). that's El Salvador between JL Borges and Malabia.

all in all i was disappointed with the quality of the leather goods. i guess, if you dig deep enough, the cost-benefit ratio is better there than in other places, where the leather has to be imported, but in general i saw a lot of stores on Calle Florida that had coats that were on par design-wise with JC Penney. if you're after leather, i recommend going to fancier Argentine design stores, where the goods made of leather will be trendy and the quality will be amazing (i tried stuff on but didn't buy). you'll have less selection than at other places, but at least it'll be nicer to look at. Example: awesome leather coat which was soft enough to be a pillow at Felix for US$500.

if you need a cheap place to stay that's in a great location (close to subway, walk to various bars and restaurants), i'd recommend Borges Design Hostel http://www.bdhostel.com. We paid ~US$40 per night for a private double room (total price for the room) with a private bathroom.

Restaurants in Palermo that'll knock your socks off:

Miranda (Costa Rica 5602 corner of Fitz Roy)

La Cabrera Norte (JA Cabrera 5127)

La Dorita (Humboldt 1905)

make sure to make a reservation for friday and saturday nights. and if you like your meat the least bit medium rare or rare, order "jugoso" ("rare") because they don't like their shit bloody down there like they do in Europe.

Was in Buenos Aries over New Years - thought the nightlife was a little overrated (or maybe I just couldn't find the better places to go...) but good city apart from that.

Leather goods weren't great quality but there's a few bargains to be had in the low-to-mid range gear - actually saw a nice brown messenger bag at the weekend markets near La Recoletta of all places (regret passing on it now at $100US).

Meal sizes are often enormous - had a plate-sized milanesa in a decent restaurant (for less than four bucks!) that wiped me out for the rest of the afternoon. Lots of good artesenal ice-cream places around too.

• 4 months later...

what are some nice hotels in argentina? (going with fam, dad isn't a huge fan of roughing it).

any thing to see outside the city? Patagonia?

what are some nice hotels in argentina? (going with fam, dad isn't a huge fan of roughing it).

any thing to see outside the city? Patagonia?

i stayed at the four seasons when i was there. it wasn't bad but it kind of smelled like old people. i think you could find cooler places at the price point.

definetely goto bariloche, its like a cooler, cheap aspen. there are some very cool boutique hotels in palermo viejo, do a google search. a friend stayed at the malabia which was very unique, discreet, and hospitable, but its small so vacancy is sometime tough to find.

• 2 weeks later...