THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

Yep, I felt it was a touch more Wrangler/Levi's than Lee, though I want to say Lee did the zig-zag stitching on the front with the Lee Rider jackets before Wrangler did (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think the polyester is OK for the price; it seems to look good compared to most poly faux-sherpa lining that I've seen. Looks much more natural and real on this jacket. 

I like the idea of keeping the jacket going with Kapital-inspired repairs. I'll probably look at Kapital stuff rather than work today...

Yet another boot dilemma, however, this thread has been good to me (thanks hogg! got my first english boot, the C&Js, and loving them).

Tricker's Burford or Viberg 2030 service boot? Both in black. Looking for a boot that can take a bit of a beating and still look good. Both are arguably a bit overpriced but hey I like what I see.

^ Fit aside, it probably depends on how you like your boots to look with some wear on them. The Viberg service boot in black is more often than not chromexcel so you'll need to be ok with seeing a lot of scuffing and scratches. Personally, I'm not sure I'd like that on black leather as much as with brown. The Trickers will take longer to look really worn in but they age very nicely. How close are they in appearance to you C&J though?

Well, the C&Js I got are the Northcotes in dark brown. Like Tricker's, it's another country derby shoe (I think that's what the brits call them). The C&Js still look new aside from the upper creasing a bit, of course.

I also have chromexcel 8 in white's and natural aldens. So I know how it can get with horween's leather but not sure how prominent the marks will look on black though.

I guess I just want to know if Tricker's are worth the $500 or if Viberg is worth saving up a bit (though I'm fully aware of the discussions Viberg's price tag can bring as well). Or if there's some other good alternative besides Red Wings, Whites, Wesco, OSB, and Aldens.

Edited by ALB

Your final question makes it harder to give a This or That answer! Trickers are worth the price tag in my opinion because they are built like tanks and feel like they can go for years and years if properly cared for and resoled when needed. The argument that Vibergs are overpriced is reasonable but they are superb boots all the same. It was a big step for me paying that much for a pair of boots however in my opinion, price can be forgotten over time if you are truly happy with the purchase. For the sake of variety, I would say take the Vibergs.

I wish it is made in Japan

A lot of nice cord/sherpas being made in Japan right now; off the top of my head this season there are ones from Pherrow's, Sugar Cane, Radiall, and Burgus Plus.

After the Pherrow's one, I'm digging the Burgus Plus one:

imgrc0064199625.jpg

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/hinoya/item/bp14910/

Radiall one is also nice:

imgrc0063840148.jpg

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/defjam/item/10001473/

Edited by Iron Horse

Hi guys,

Should I get a Visvim Virgil or Viberg Service Boots?

Also durability wise, which one holds longer? I know for sure that Virgil is more comfortable and easier to settle in than Viberg.

Only 100 quid different in the UK

I'm wearing Viberg Service boots at the moent, so I might be biased....the rubber part on the Visvims' heel kills them for me. The rest looks nice, though I think with the crepe sole they look more modern. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I've been wearing my Vibergs at least 4 times a week since June and they show almost no sign of wear (oil tan leather). They also feel still pretty stiff...so they're stubborn and hold perfectly, but won't give you instant comfort.

Edited by Max Power

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm considering adding a nice (slim) denim shirt to my 'top' pieces. I've ended up selecting these two models:

- the Flat Head 7002W

- Rogue Territory Western Shirt.

Their measures are quite similar it seems (for a size 2 FH and a small RT). And I'm quite surprised both have such a short length (26.5"). Would it be wise sizing up and try to shrink it considering they're both rinsed or sanforized already?

The FH is a bit thicker. Should I pay attention to some specific details construction wise?

Thanks

Hello,

I'm considering adding a nice (slim) denim shirt to my 'top' pieces. I've ended up selecting these two models:

- the Flat Head 7002W

- Rogue Territory Western Shirt.

Their measures are quite similar it seems (for a size 2 FH and a small RT). And I'm quite surprised both have such a short length (26.5"). Would it be wise sizing up and try to shrink it considering they're both rinsed or sanforized already?

The FH is a bit thicker. Should I pay attention to some specific details construction wise?

Thanks

I don't think it's a good idea to try to shrink that FH (not sure about the RT). See the Flat Head thread where one poster bought a 42 when he clearly should have bought a 40, and was in the unenviable position of having to sell the shirt.

Details-wise they seem similar; the FH has selvedge gussets while the RT doesn't; the RT is a nep denim, which may or may not be what you're looking for. The mother of pearl snaps on the FH look better.

Personally I would choose the FH, but I've never worn any of Rogue's shirts.

I would not count on any shrinkage with that shirt if its been washed... 

I don't have any experience with rogue territory, but I can tell you that flat head is probably the best you can get.  Of course it is also the more expensive of the two.

Also, are you planning on getting the size 38 in the fh?  If so, I hope you're really really skinny.  If you've not had flat head westerns, and you're getting a 38, you might be in a for a bad surprise.

ditto to what ben said--5' 8", 145, 38 in flat head was way, way too small. I think they usually measure around 36" in the chest p2p, for the t-shirts at least. Corresponds roughly to a US XS.

ditto to what ben said--5' 8", 145, 38 in flat head was way, way too small. I think they usually measure around 36" in the chest p2p, for the t-shirts at least. Corresponds roughly to a US XS.

Maybe it's just me but this feels so odd; I just got the FH wabash in size 40 and the body fits me perfectly (I'm 5'11", about 165 pounds). The sleeves are a bit big though. I'm surprised that the 38 would be that much smaller.

Hmm. Thanks for the details everyone. Pretty interesting.

I'm 5'9" for 133 pounds. I wear UES flannels in size 1. They are 47 cm large pit to pit meaning a real 37 chest (42cm for shoulders). I usually pay attention to the shoulders width and arms length. And anything wider than 17" (shoulders) and shorter than 24" (arms) looks pretty bad.

So strictly from the measures I'd go with the fh 38 and stretch what needs to be (as its denim).

Does it make sense/sound realistic?

I'd rather try s38 and 40 if I could but Tate and Yoko doesn't carry this model unfortunately.

Maybe it's just me but this feels so odd; I just got the FH wabash in size 40 and the body fits me perfectly (I'm 5'11", about 165 pounds). The sleeves are a bit big though. I'm surprised that the 38 would be that much smaller.

I do know that the shirts tend to measure bigger in each respective size compared to the tees. I was probably just exaggerating because the triple stitched collar gave me the feeling that I was being asphyxiated; I only had to go up one to find a nice fit.

Alright guys, two pairs of chinos I'm considering.  Relevant here due to the brands they are from.

Considering the just released 3Sixteen SL-44X and the Samurai SJ42CP.

Both really match up with the khaki chino I've been looking for as far as color goes and the fact that they have metal buttons.

I bought the ST-44X previously but returned them due to the cut being far too skinny for me.

The waist on the SJ42Cp is a bit slimmer than tagged while the thighs on the SL-44X's seem on the slimmer side.

I guess it just comes down to if I want a 5 pocket pant (3Sixteen) or a slant pocket pant (Samurai).

Hey all, quick question, anyone have experience with Rolling Dub Trios?

Been specifically looking at these

img62211727.jpg?_ex=300x300&s=2&r=1

img62211728.jpg?_ex=300x300&s=2&r=1

But also found another brand called Brother Bridge churning out similar wares at a lower price point (although slightly chunkier than the former)

bbb-a003-nv.jpg

bbb-a003-nv-1.jpg

Thoughts on either?

I was leaning towards RDT, been drooling at em for a while now but couldn't really justify the expenditure. Also really digging that sole and toe box shape, as I've been after something chunkier recently.

Still throwing up ideas. Another contender are locking shoes, what I presume to be footmonkey's house brand if I'm correct.

ls-1015-nv.jpg?_ex=300x300&s=2&r=1

Had the pleasure to visit their Ueno shop mid last year, but time was limited so couldn't really browse much.

Get the 3sixteens broark. You've been crushing on those for awhile and now they finally made 'em :)

Valid point Jackle, but I've been crushing on the Samurais for quite some time too!

Only thing that concerns me on the Samurais is the rise, seems rather low.

I think that Foxy has a pair, would appreciate his two cents too!