usa :: los angeles :: general

Omnivore

You sound like a hipster.

Cinespace on Tuesdays is also a good bet.

Check out the echo park area too.

But ONLY if you have a funky haircut, wear chucks and at least one item on your person is vintage. Otherwise, you may get beaten/mugged/harrassed.

But ONLY if you have a funky haircut, wear chucks and at least one item on your person is vintage. Otherwise, you may get beaten/mugged/harrassed.

Not very likely as most of the guys that go don't weight more than a buck and a quarter.

I must admit, there are some nice lookin' birds that go to Cinespace on tuesdays (high-waisted jeans, fucked up hair and all...)

You sound like a hipster.

Cinespace on Tuesdays is also a good bet.

Check out the echo park area too.

haha I am a hipster :(. but more in terms of interests than in how I actually fit the "style" or image, but yeah I do read the Wire and Thomas Pynchon.

Coincidentally, Cinespace is like 5 minutes from where I live. What's so special about Tuesdays?

Looks more like a place to go show off rather than actually meet people. But you're right about the fine looking girls.

Don't you guys have any real insider tips, like your own experiences meeting people in LA? Not just the f.a.q on who goes where on what night.

I guess this isn't really about me, I'm just curious about LA life.

New ones:

Bordello Bar

and the Edison Bar...

if you can manage to find where the "private" pirate bar is call me up and I'll go buy you a drink or a round of garlic fries there.

that place sucks...everytime i go there it's packed with out of control 18 year old asian twinks and their nasty caucasian daddies...

I think the guy who mentioned RAGE was being sarcastic...last time I heard it was the Gayest bar/club this side of the Mississippi. Not that I've been there, of course.

haha bordello is at the border of seediness in dtla.

;) ;) right, jansuerte?

It's the classiest of the seediesst places. At least it ain't RAGE-seedy.

Don't you guys have any real insider tips, like your own experiences meeting people in LA? Not just the f.a.q on who goes where on what night.

I guess this isn't really about me, I'm just curious about LA life.

I do most of my meeting of people on the Metrolink Union Station, I hang there alot due to the fact that I commute to my parents house every weekend to do laundry. ^_^ If you foot-and-bus-travel around L.A. you'd be able to meet alot of people on the streets.

Other places I like to hang out is a tthe Getty, Little Tokyo and Santa Monica beach. Little tokyo area has alot of great bars and hangouts, just go walk up and dow (WAY DOWN) 1st street and you'll encounter something. Mostly I go around trying to candidly take pictures of people, lately (with some sucess) I've started going up to people and asking them straight-up if I can photograph them... haven't gotten any phone numbers but with frequency I hope I will.

The super-best place to really meet people though is through activist groups (in my experience). There are alot of very open and fun people there, and there's always a rally or something to be angry about (in a fun way) down here. I haven't had much time for that lately, but I used to do it all the time and when I did I got to become close to a variety of very awesome folks.

That's it for now.

i'm into obscure music and film, art, poetry, fashion i guess. i like trendy stuff i suppose. not huge into clubs, but i like it occasionally. i dunno, is that enough to help?

the people who have been replying don't seem to go out much.

cinespace on tuesdays is steve aoki's famous cobrasnake picture party. unless you like waiting in line (unless you're on the list) or dancing on carpet i think you shouldn't go there.

clubs on cahuenga used to be cool sometimes (beauty bar c. 2001) but now that area is completely retarded. the entire westside seems to work at CAA.

little joy in echo park is pretty much the staple bar for hipsters (bjork, chloe sevigny, that dickwad from fuct). downtown bar 107 on tuesdays for dub, wednesdays for hipsters, and la cita on thursdays for even more hipsters.

mondays are good at akbar in silverlake, low key with a great reggae dj.

i'm going to the mandrake in culver city tonight.

I think the guy who mentioned RAGE was being sarcastic...last time I heard it was the Gayest bar/club this side of the Mississippi. Not that I've been there, of course.

dude are you for real it's okay to be gay now it's not 1994 anymore

New ones:

Bordello Bar

and the Edison Bar...

if you can manage to find where the "private" pirate bar is call me up and I'll go buy you a drink or a round of garlic fries there.

3331 w 8th st

I was being completely sarcastic. You can check it out if that floats your boat so to speak.

MOCA jazz on friday night summers before you hit the clubs for excellent free music and a less superficical scene. I almost invariably meet someone interesting, have a few drinks with them, and then head out to enjoy my friday night. I highly recommend showing up if you like jazz at all.

I didn't check how old you are but if you want to be seen with young hollywood take my advice.

don't go to those places unless you like standing in line to try to "party" with firecrotch for $600 table service bottles of absolut.

I didn't check how old you are but if you want to be seen with young hollywood take my advice.

Les Deux on Friday's

Teddy's on Saturday

Area on Fridays

Hyde anytime, but you won't get in.

Privelage on Saturdays or Fridays,

Sugar on Thursdays

It all depends what event is going on also. The deal with LA and certain places being good on specific days has to do with the crowds that show on those days, its like a gravity, it just works like that haha.

Also if I may reccomend some dinning options:

Katsuya in Brentwood

The Cut in Beverly Hills

Koi, Mr. Chow, Katana, Asia De Cuba, Boa, all in Hollywood.

If you want to chill out after a long walk on Rodeo drive check out the cafe at the Luxe hotel (its on rodeo) or make your way to Beverly Drive and hit up Urth Cafe.

There are alot more options, I just came up with this info off the top of my head. Follow this info, and you will meet people and hear about the other hip places. Hope I helped.

Chris

you are a fucking douche. people like you ruin los angeles.

Toot: There are a lot of clubs already mentioned in this thread and others.

I have a new question: where can I go to listen to good Jazz? I heard MOCA (maybe it was the Getty, I don't quite remember) has Jazz performances every Friday night, but I couldn't find any info on that.

Like a lounge with a bar, maybe dancing. Any recommendations there?

Toot: There are a lot of clubs already mentioned in this thread and others.

I have a new question: where can I go to listen to good Jazz? I heard MOCA (maybe it was the Getty, I don't quite remember) has Jazz performances every Friday night, but I couldn't find any info on that.

Like a lounge with a bar, maybe dancing. Any recommendations there?

Dude, go to yelp.

And also I already mentioned the Bordello Bar, here's more: http://www.yelp.com/biz/6IlfaUL2hKcEjXlE3YDoYw

I would personally go check out Fridays at Getty as well.

Dude, go to yelp.

And also I already mentioned the Bordello Bar, here's more: http://www.yelp.com/biz/6IlfaUL2hKcEjXlE3YDoYw

I would personally go check out Fridays at Getty as well.

Is the Getty (is it called "on the 405"?) every Friday?

1 MORE question!

What are the best coffee shops.... OR just a cute spot to bring a girl and hang out?

Only place I know of is Urth, also Sabor y Cultura that is in hollywood and near me.