SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

You can always treat your leather patch, too, whatever you use on your boots should be fine. I just put some beeswax based stuff on mine once in a while, once they've tried after a wash.

Also, 40°C shouldn't be hot enough to fry leather.

Edited by Cucoo

Exactly, it rejuvenates the leather. I also used to treat my patches when they've dried after a wash.

I often wash my pair twice just to be sure. There will still be some minor shrinkage left but most of it should be out after the first one.

To those people who wash their jeans inside-out, do you get a crease along the line of the fold when you put it in? It seems like it receives less contact with the water because of the way that it's folded, leaving a line that's darker than the surrounding area.

Not sure when this pops into my head....o well..

Are there really any difference between cold & hot wash in terms of cleanliness, etc?

Kept remembering that some of the detergent company keep touting cold wash have benefits of energy saving but then somehow I thought that the temperature difference (hotter) will make the detegents more effective in trapping dirt, grime, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gents,

In a few weeks I'm moving to a rather rainy and windy city and need to get a jacket that's up for the task. I've thought about the N-1 but I was hoping you lot have other good options for me to consider before taking the plunge.

What sort of look are you going for? And what sort of temperatures are you talking? I've got a friend with an old wool-lined, waxed canvas Filson jacket that he says takes him through cold and rainy Canadian winters no problem... though we're right on the coast, so it rarely drops below freezing.

Personally I like layering—usually a sweater, denim jacket (or wool, depending on the temperature), and a light raincoat over top.

I've had luck finding more modern jackets—white mountaineering or EG, that kind of thing—on Yahoo auctions. It seems like you are more into repros, though. Maybe an M51? If you can find one with a liner you should be set..

Edited by chicote

Yeah I like the repro game but it would also be nice to be able to wear it going to the office. I won't be wearing suits but I still think the N-1 might be a bit too rugged. 

Not sure about temperatures but I guess it often is around zero since this is also at the coast so I guess we have the same kind of weather.

Unfortunately I don't really fancy the look of M51's. Thanks for the tips mate!

a peacoat might be a good piece for you, it's versatile, can work in a business casual kind of environment, and looks absolutely great with a denim jacket underneath.

I also love gloverall duffle coats (have two!) but those might be a little too British gentleman for your kind of style.

Who is Babby? If you're looking for quality black selvage denim, here are a couple of options from Ande Whall. I have the solid blacks and can highly recommend them:

http://andewhall.bigcartel.com

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I'm in the UK and I'd pay out the ass to get them imported.

Any Euro-centric denim I could go for?

Yeah I like the repro game but it would also be nice to be able to wear it going to the office. I won't be wearing suits but I still think the N-1 might be a bit too rugged. 

Not sure about temperatures but I guess it often is around zero since this is also at the coast so I guess we have the same kind of weather.

Unfortunately I don't really fancy the look of M51's. Thanks for the tips mate!

The standard Buzz N-1 should suite your needs down to around freezing.  With just a flannel shirt, cotton button down, or light sweatshirt, it's best suited to the 35 to 45 degree range in damp weather. You can wear it in colder weather (and much colder drier weather) with a wool sweater on underneath.    Don't expect protection from the rain though.  Light drizzle will bead up, but heavy rain drops immediately soak into the cotton shell.     

A friend of mine served in the USN in the early 60s. He has nothing but bad things to say about pea coats and the level of warmth they provide.  I know they are classic fashion, but I don't think I'd ever invest in one for serious winter wear.    

A friend of mine served in the USN in the early 60s. He has nothing but bad things to say about pea coats and the level of warmth they provide.  I know they are classic fashion, but I don't think I'd ever invest in one for serious winter wear.

This makes complete sense. Even when buttoned up a fair bit of chest is exposed right?

Eastman make some pretty sweet sheepskin Air Force repros.

I have a Schott peacoat with the quilted (nylon) lining. It's incredibly warm and buttons to the neck to ensure no chest is exposed. It is wind and water resistant as far as I can tell. I've had it for about 8 years and had another one prior to that. I will need to replace it at some stage as it's getting a little worn. I tried on a RMC but the fit was wrong for me so I may try on a BR. My only concern with these is that they both have a rayon lining, which I don't think will offer the same warmth as a quilted one. The other option is an Iron Heart model, which has quilted lining plus storm cuffs. If not, I may just get another Schott for half the price!

I've always liked the look of the Schott pea coat and wondered how they compare to the IH,RMC, BR versions. I think you've answer my question Maynard!

Other than the schott I've only handled the IH, it's a serious piece of kit.

I have a Edwin peacoat, well it's a bastardized version of a peacoat as it has a shawl collar rather than the original collar. as the Schott it has a quilted nylon lining. it's super toasty, when it's cold I just wear it layered with a denim jacket and a thin wool jumper and works great.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic