SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I want to try on lots of cuts from lots of brands before I drop ~$200 on some new denim and I live in central NJ. Brands I particularly like are Rogue Territory, Left Field, Railcar . . . But the more the merrier. I assume I'll have to head into NYC to try them on. Anyone know the best way to make use of my time if I'm coming in via Penn Station? Meaning I want to be able to try on a bunch of different brands, and in don't want to take a subway all the way out to he edge of the city.

left field has their own space you can make an appointment and try on stuff. there's gentry in brooklyn if you want to try on rogue territory. I'd definitely stop by Self Edge. There's also blue in green too. 

Long time lurker, first time questioner.

I'm looking for beater hoodies, price has to be $150 maximum and nothing too heavy or I would just get a Jelado or Iron Heart. Minimal to no branding, black, dark grey or navy preferable.

Help appreciated gents  :)

Mega, I just ran across these Reighning Champs sweats. They seem petty good at this price point. 

http://shop.reigningchamp.com/collections/tops

Shit, now I am considering the grey for summer.

Edited by Al6ert

I'll post this here as well as in the Lee thread, does anybody have direct experience of the Lee Japan 101B Jeans Cinch Back 1934 - Dry? They seem to be very much oversize for something that is supposed to be Sanforized and shrink no more than 3%? Thanks.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=120

Looking for a budget pair of denim, sub-$100, ideally around $70/pair. Looking to supplement my APC NS's that I've had for years with a couple pairs of something comfortable that aren't too costly. Raw is okay, but I really wouldn't mind washed as long as there are no obnoxious fades. Needs a button fly and no gaudy stitching, etc. Love the fit of my APC's, so something similar in fit would be ideal.

I checked out Uniqlo, but the zipper fly is a bit of a turn-off. But that's basically the quality I'm looking for (something like the MIJ Uniqlo's would be perfect it sounds). Purchasable online and shippable to the US, preferably.

Thanks for any help.

Any tips on choosing thread and needle sizes for a first-time go at darning on the home sewing machine?  I'll be working on some crappy old 12.5oz N&Fs so I'm ready for some trial and error. Thanks. 

In general, you'll want to get a denim needle. Its very sharp compared to the universal needle found on most machines. As far as thread, most ppl here will tell you to get poly core thread. That is, the thread is a blend of polyester (for strength) and cotton. You might want to match the color if you are darning??

Truth be told, you can "get away" with a lot. Stylistically, repairs are cool. They symbolize a personalized maturity to your denim. Also, 12oz denim is rather easy to sew. Don't sweat it && if you get a chance, post pics in the denim repair thread.

Looking for a budget pair of denim, sub-$100, ideally around $70/pair. Looking to supplement my APC NS's that I've had for years with a couple pairs of something comfortable that aren't too costly. Raw is okay, but I really wouldn't mind washed as long as there are no obnoxious fades. Needs a button fly and no gaudy stitching, etc. Love the fit of my APC's, so something similar in fit would be ideal.

I checked out Uniqlo, but the zipper fly is a bit of a turn-off. But that's basically the quality I'm looking for (something like the MIJ Uniqlo's would be perfect it sounds). Purchasable online and shippable to the US, preferably.

Thanks for any help.

Dude, APC's aren't even THAT cheap. @$150 - $185 we all know that APC's aren't what they used to be. Don't fall for the current version. Measure your NS like this, and use that as a baseline for your next pair.

Get on the Superfuture\Supermarket. Get on it every morning. Check the most recent 5 pages. Do that every day. Find someone desperate to sell something that didn't work out && is sympathetic to your budget (but don't insult them). If you can stomach it, get something used. IMHO, it will be okay. Better yet...find someone that got their sales pair hemmed to your length. If ANYWHERE in the title it says "Visvim," don't bother looking. Also, do this modulo EBay, Styleforum, whatever. 

Edited by Al6ert

Dude, APC's aren't even THAT cheap. @$150 - $185 we all know that APC's aren't what they used to be. Don't fall for the current version. Measure your NS like this, and use that as a baseline for your next pair.

Get on the Superfuture\Supermarket. Get on it every morning. Check the most recent 5 pages. Do that every day. Find someone desperate to sell something that didn't work out && is sympathetic to your budget (but don't insult them). If you can stomach it, get something used. IMHO, it will be okay. Better yet...find someone that got their sales pair hemmed to your length. If ANYWHERE in the title it says "Visvim," don't bother looking. Also, do this modulo EBay, Styleforum, whatever. 

Sorry I wasn't clear. I have some APC NS's from ~5 years ago that I've grown out of. I've also grown out of paying that much for denim (just not in my budget anymore, was TOTALLY worth it when I got the APC's), so I'm looking for something in the Unbranded price-range that has a similar fit.

Good to know that APC has fallen off though. Would love to cop a pair of N&F but they're hard to come by in the sub-$100 range. A few have popped up in my local Nordstrom Rack, but in the wrong sizes and cuts.

Thanks for any help.

Gap has a decent pair/cut of raws. The slim isn't as skinny as you think. Sanforized/japan redline, Mid-high rise, Full top block, tapered to hell and button fly. If you can deal with the exposed coin pocket selvedge you can cop a pair on sale up to almost half off. The cut though is aimed at the masses.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I have some APC NS's from ~5 years ago that I've grown out of. I've also grown out of paying that much for denim (just not in my budget anymore, was TOTALLY worth it when I got the APC's), so I'm looking for something in the Unbranded price-range that has a similar fit.

Good to know that APC has fallen off though. Would love to cop a pair of N&F but they're hard to come by in the sub-$100 range. A few have popped up in my local Nordstrom Rack, but in the wrong sizes and cuts.

Sorry, I was not clear. I think the best way to get a decent pair on a budget, is to get on these forum marketplaces. Case and point, I picked up a pair of non-worn Samurai 710xx's for $200. That's over 40% off retail. The previous owner had soaked them and therefore eliminated all the guess work.

I am sure that you'd be able to cop a decent pair of UES, 3sixteen, N&F, etc IF you spend a little time looking there and doing some research on cuts and fits that are compatible.

If you are uncomfortable with buying site-unseen, I think that the other suggestions are your best options.

My last washer was a top-loader and I didn't have any problems.  Just be sure to wash them inside out, and some people recommend taking them out before the spin cycle begins (hasn't been necessary for me, but it's common advice).

Want to buy some raw denim for a friend but need some help with sizing. My friend is about ~180ish lb and stands around 5'10. If anyone is near the same height/weight, can you guys share what size jeans and the jeans you are wearing? thanks

That's hard to say. Easiest way is to measure a pair of his old jeans and compare with the sizes on the new pair. I have a pair of Samurai 710xx and they are really nice!

^ I agree with tigerstorm. height and weight don't really tell us anything about your friends' body type. We need some baseline from what he/she is currently wearing. Also, if they are unhappy with the fit from their baseline pair, then it would be helpful to know which of those dimensions they'd like changed in their next pair (e.g. if their current pair is tight in the thigh then note that).

Do the Naked & Famous Midnight Power Stretches fade similarly to the 3Sixteen ST-120x Shadow Selvedge? I'm looking for a pair of denim that fades to a nice electric blue, but the 3Sixteen denim are a bit out of my price range. 

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic