Real McCoy's / Joe McCoy's Jeans

jubei

Ye, I've seen those numbers. The only other hoodie I can possibly measure on is an old h&m rag, with weird shape. I'm usually on the bigger side of medium when it comes to other brands.

I saw max power bought the same some pages back, and he thought it was too big at xl. Max, if you're reading this, may I ask for your opinion? How tall are you and what's your weight?

Ye, I've seen those numbers. The only other hoodie I can possibly measure on is an old h&m rag, with weird shape. I'm usually on the bigger side of medium when it comes to other brands.

I saw max power bought the same some pages back, and he thought it was too big at xl. Max, if you're reading this, may I ask for your opinion? How tall are you and what's your weight?

Johan,

I bought the Real McCoy's heavyweight 12 oz. crew neck sweatshirts in sizes L and XL.  Trying to decide which one to keep.  The L is the better fit by far on a pre-wash basis, though the XL could be better if there is significant shrinkage -- anyone know how much these shrink?

Again, I'm 6', 175 pounds.  I realize you're looking at the zip hoodie, which is sized a bit differently but there are probably parallels.  I generally wear a Large in most American clothes, though sometimes a Medium, depending on how things run.  If you generally wear a Medium and don't plan to put the hoodie in the dryer, then I'd go with Large.

John

• 3 weeks later...

X post from the jacket thread..

Got a Joe McCoy’s lot 924 while I was in BKK. Any experience with the shrinkage on this guy's? Between my very limited thai and his little English the guy in the store said to expect a half size of shrinkage? Pre soak pics below fit pics to follow post soak, just phone pictures at the moment  
6eq7wx.jpg
6jq5j8.jpg

Johan,

I bought the Real McCoy's heavyweight 12 oz. crew neck sweatshirts in sizes L and XL.  Trying to decide which one to keep.  The L is the better fit by far on a pre-wash basis, though the XL could be better if there is significant shrinkage -- anyone know how much these shrink?

Again, I'm 6', 175 pounds.  I realize you're looking at the zip hoodie, which is sized a bit differently but there are probably parallels.  I generally wear a Large in most American clothes, though sometimes a Medium, depending on how things run.  If you generally wear a Medium and don't plan to put the hoodie in the dryer, then I'd go with Large.

John

Your Real McCoy sweater is one wash, right? so it's got all the shrink its gonna have.

The thing with sweats is they always always always stretch more than you think. My first few purchases (Strike Gold, Real McCoy) fit well at first but stretched into potato sacks over time. You really want a pretty snug initial fit...

I'm 5'6" 175 lbs when im eating well (and 185 lbs when im not)...My Real McCoy crewneck was XL and became too big. Have a Large now that fit me like a sausage skin at first but turned out just right.

Your Real McCoy sweater is one wash, right? so it's got all the shrink its gonna have.

The thing with sweats is they always always always stretch more than you think. My first few purchases (Strike Gold, Real McCoy) fit well at first but stretched into potato sacks over time. You really want a pretty snug initial fit...

I'm 5'6" 175 lbs when im eating well (and 185 lbs when im not)...My Real McCoy crewneck was XL and became too big. Have a Large now that fit me like a sausage skin at first but turned out just right.

I'm 6'0", 175 lbs. and ended up keeping the XL and returning the L (12 oz. crew neck heavyweight sweat shirt).  Just washed it for the first time today (warm water, 10 minutes in dryer, then line dry).  I thought I'd get quite a bit of shrinkage, and it really didn't shrink much at all.  I was surprised and have to say now that I should have kept the L -- it was really the better fit.

Bottom line with these is they don't shrink that much (and really not at all with a cold wash and line dry) and they do stretch back.  So get the one that fits best when you first tried on and don't attempt to 'shrink to fit', as you might with jeans.

John

Got a Joe McCoy’s lot 924 while I was in BKK. Any experience with the shrinkage on this guy's? Between my very limited thai and his little English the guy in the store said to expect a half size of shrinkage?

Sooo.... Post soak I lost just under a half inch on the sleeve (perfect) and 0.75 inch length on the body (little more than I wanted) overall fits pretty good. Fit pics soon as I get chance. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all

New to this forum, this thread, and to raw.

My first pair were ONI 512's purchased form BIG two months ago - 1 wash.

I just stepped up to the plate and purchased a pair of Real McCoy's Lot 004 this past week week (BIG).  An amazing fit and even more amazing fabric.  I think that once someone starts with Lot 004's it will be difficult to try any other pair - they truly seem to be the Rolls Royce of jeans when it comes to fabric/material.

Here is my question - I decided (as per the recommendation of my salesman at BIG (Hiro - absolutely STELLAR customer service) to do a 1 hour hot soak before wearing to remove the starch.  As per BIG's website, and the information posted on SuperDenim (UK) , being sanforized the jeans did not shrink at all in the waist and not that much in length.

My question has to do with the length - should I do one very high cuff (4-5") or rather a double folded cuff?  The reason I ask has to do with fading and the lines which will come from the cuff - a single line or double line - or will I not even see any difference regardless of how many folds the cuff will have?  I am not sure if I will even bother to have the length adjusted and stitched - thus the question of a single or double cuff and if it will even mean anything  months from now.

Thanks

Welcome to Sufu Buzzlulu.

I don't think a four inch cuff is going to look very good, especially on a jean that tapers like the 004. A double cuff would look a lot better and if you keep the cuff throughout the life of the jeans, it will not affect their appearance in any negative way. Ultimately it depends on your own preference and style though. You might prefer to get them hemmed properly at BIG.

My question has to do with the length - should I do one very high cuff (4-5") or rather a double folded cuff?  The reason I ask has to do with fading and the lines which will come from the cuff - a single line or double line - or will I not even see any difference regardless of how many folds the cuff will have?  I am not sure if I will even bother to have the length adjusted and stitched - thus the question of a single or double cuff and if it will even mean anything  months from now.

Thanks

Personally I'd get them hemmed to your actual inseam length, slimmer fitting jeans don't look good cuffed imo.

Welcome to Sufu Buzzlulu.

I don't think a four inch cuff is going to look very good, especially on a jean that tapers like the 004. A double cuff would look a lot better and if you keep the cuff throughout the life of the jeans, it will not affect their appearance in any negative way. Ultimately it depends on your own preference and style though. You might prefer to get them hemmed properly at BIG.

Thanks to you and Freezie for the reply.  My thoughts all along were to go with a double cuff - I was just afraid that the double folds of the cuff would become fade lines during the break in procedure.

FWIW I do not consider these to be slim fit jeans in the true sense of the definition.  I also wear Nudie Thin Finn's and Acne Ace jeans - THOSE are slim fit.  With that said I guess in the scheme of things, and considering many of the Japanese fits, Lot 004 would be considered slim when place in comparison to others out there.

How often do the Real McCoy's come out with new models (particularly in the "premium" range)?  Were the "Lot" jeans released sequentially -  and since we are on Lot 004 will there be a Lot 005 some time in the future?  I think I am spoiled by the quality of fabrication and material of the Lot 004's - what other manufacturers/styles in the market place offer a comparable level of fabric and quality?

You're right that these aren't slim fit jeans but they do taper considerably and I think that is what Freezie was getting at. The main thing is that after spending a good amount of money on jeans that you really love, you should take every effort to ensure the fit looks good with a correct inseam length or appropriate cuffing. Then you'll be happy wearing the jeans for years.

In terms of comparable jeans to RMC, my impression of the four 00- models is quite a smooth denim with high quality construction. Each Japanese denim brand has different characteristics and that makes this whole game interesting. However, I reckon Studio D'Artisan and the heavier denim models from Fullcount would be right up your street. Warehouse and Denime (the latter made by RMC) are also excellent.

I will have to investigate some of the other brands you mentioned. Right now I think I might be set with my Raw jean experiment - a pair of ONI's with a rather slubby denim and now the Lot 004's.

I am not a Khaki pant kind of guy (I don't wear "basics") however while at BIG I tried on a pair of RMC Blue Seal Khaki's and I was really taken with the quality of the fabric and, quite actually, the fit (even though I always wear slim cuts in all of my pants). RMC definitely seem to make a detailed and quality product. Any feedback on these Khaki's - are they SS14 or considered year around ie were they just introduced or are they a staple in the RMC lineup?

• 1 month later...

Well - an update one month later.  After only about 5/6 times wearing my Lot 004 I decided to bite the bullet and come to the realization that I purchased the wrong size.  The thigh and knee are perfect however the waist remains tight (when sitting down) and the rise just a touch too short (keep in mind I am not a 25 yr old youngster but have a 54 year old body (although I am in shape)) - 5'10" close to 170lb.  I normally take a size 34 in all of my jeans and I think I made the mistake of sizing down 2 instead of just 1 (even SuperDenim's site recommends sizing down 1).

Back to BIG yesterday and I tried on a size 33 - much better!

So now for some new questions.  I will still do an initial soak to remove starch however this time around I am contemplating doing a COLD water soak instead of the hot water soak I did the last time.  Even though these are sanforized I did find there was some shrinkage (although minimal).  My rationale is that I always wash my jeans in cold water - and always hang dry them.  If a cold water soak will remove the starch and incur the shrinkage then why not opt for that instead of a hot water soak.  Does this make any sense?  Any reason for a HOT water soak?  A WARM water soak?

The salesman at BIG mentioned "managing the shrinkage".  While I realize that this applies to unsanforized jeans it does seem that if I start with a COLD soak and still find them a bit large after stretching I can always soak again using hotter water - and theoretically incur increased or maximum shrinkage.

Finally - if I initially soak in COLD, am happy with the fit and wear them for 6 months - when I finally get around to washing them (either by hand w/ woolite or in the machine) in COLD water again - can I expect that there will be no further shrinkage (remember they are sanforized)?  Or is it that each time they hit any kind of water (even cold water) they continue to shrink???  If that is the case does it mean that jeans are continually shrinking - forever?  I think not - it does not make sense.

Sorry for the newbie questions - this is not an easy business!

PS - I will most likely put my 004 size 32's up for sale (styleforum or ebay) - if anyone is interested give me a shout.

Thanks!

Even though these are sanforized I did find there was some shrinkage (although minimal).

1.5" in the inseam. Do the hot soak, dry in glorious sunshine, hem to correct length, wear. Simple.

Thanks for the reply.

I did the initial soak over the weekend - hot water (however with the size of my bathtub and the temperature I keep my water (kids) at 130 degree F) I would say it was more like an extremely extremely warm/lightly hot soak.  I hung them to dry outside and I am wearing them today for the first time.

While these are not slim by any means I would say that the rise tends a bit towards the lowish side.  The size 33 definitely fits better than the 32 did.  While the 32 was picture perfect in the leg and taper it was the waist which gave me problems (could not sit down without being uncomfortable) and the rise was a touch too short.  Too use to jeans such as Nudie and Acne (both slims) which had stretch in them.

Here is the next question - BIG told me they thought, even though these are sanforized, they would shrink a little more with another soak - and maximum shrinkage would occur in a washing machine with hot water.

I never was my jeans in hot water, always cold, and I always wash in a machine.  I would not mind getting a bit more shrinkage out of these all around (supposedly the waist will not shrink) so: 

should I just continue to wear them for a few months and then do another hot water soak

OR 

should I repeat a hot water soak right now and then really wear them?

OR

Instead of a second hot water soak should I perhaps do a machine wash cold water? (I would not do a machine wash hot water)

Finally what should be the final ultimate washing care after a long period of break in - machine wash cold water or perhaps hand wash/soak in the bathtub with Woolite dark?

Sorry for all of the rookie questions however...I am a rookie!

If you want to get more shrink out of them, give them a hot wash and be done with it.  They're not going to shrink much more after that (although I'm surprised they would at all if they're sanforized), and you're not going to harm the denim.  

If I were you I'd just put them in a machine inside out when they're dirty and wash either hot/cold depending on what you feel like... I've never had problems with this and it's a lot easier and more effective than hand washing them in a bathtub.