Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

i've been looking at that since it came out, haven't had time to check it out..thoughts?

sorry, didnt see this.  Its phenomenal.  The fit is spot on, nowhere does it feel too big or small.  Its perfect.  Flat Head really are particular about their clothing, the details and nuances are such a joy to discover.  It sounds silly gushing about a shirt but I cannot recommend their shirts more.  They are not made, they are executed.  

Edited by garden gnomes in space

This Saturday we’re celebrating our first year at Self Edge Portland with beers, a sale, and a Good Art Trunk Show.   Come by and see our summer collections, enjoy a beer, and take a close look at Good Art’s jewelry and accessories![/size]

sepdxad_7272014.jpg

If you didn't get to make it to this, come see me at SELA, and I'll give you a rundown of Josh Warner's awesome creations. The Good Art people are doing insane things in downtown LA, and we've got some really great pieces from them.

Wow, just watched the video of their Model 10 Bracelet... will definitely try to stop by SELA when I'm down there next week.

Ever since I lost keys in a typhoon, I have been wearing one of Josh's clips--like the one Kiya picked up for SE. It's been a solid three years and the action on it is tight-as-ever. I can't recommend it enough. And ditto for my Model 10. He is making really solid, dangerously good-looking shit.  

The clip is the epitome of functional art.

Now that I've handled 20 or so different clips from Good Art (multiples of the same style, different sizes, etc.) I can say that the function and tactile feedback of all of their products is unlike anything I've encountered that is intended to be worn and used (i don't think it's appropriate to compare towing harnesses to silver jewelry).  Really impressive stuff!

Wow, just watched the video of their Model 10 Bracelet... will definitely try to stop by SELA when I'm down there next week.

got clicky? 

got clicky? 

Edited by tmadd

Thanks for the clicky! 

This is too funny - I met Josh when I was in SELA back in late April. He was in there trying on jeans and jackets and cool stuff along with me. His wife/GF was hanging out w/ my GF while we were being girls and geeking out on all the cool stuff at SE. He walked out with a healthy haul. 

Great guy - wish I had know more about him at the time. Good to always learn more about cool people and what they do. That's why I love this place! 

Alright, this is a small rant, and I don't know where else to put it on this forum, so apologies in advance to Kiya for derailing his thread... this isn't intended to be a knock against any of the brands SE carries... 

What's up with the button down collars coming out on so many [long sleeve button front] shirts from so many different makers lately? I can't stand button down collars! I realize my style is not everyone's style, and each to their own, but seriously, there's so many shirts around now that have button down collars that would be so much better without the buttons. They may have their place on oxfords and some old style stodgy dress shirts to be worn with a tie, but they nerd-down an otherwise decent shirt. 

Take Gustin for example (yeah I know not every one here's cup o tea, and not necessarily mine) but they are getting some really cool fabrics and the over all cut and quality of their shirting look good, but they have ONE style that has a button down collar. Most of the great fabrics they are working with are NOT suited to that style. It's like their making shirts for semi-preppy semi-hipster young guys that want to be edgy and cool, but are too scared to really be adventurous and free thinking. Kinda like Octane on SiriusXM - hard rock/metal that really just corporate crap posing as metal and made for guys who work in cubicles and want to feel like they're metal heads. 

Rant over. Thank you. Please proceed as before... 

Alright, this is a small rant, and I don't know where else to put it on this forum, so apologies in advance to Kiya for derailing his thread... this isn't intended to be a knock against any of the brands SE carries... 

What's up with the button down collars coming out on so many [long sleeve button front] shirts from so many different makers lately? I can't stand button down collars! I realize my style is not everyone's style, and each to their own, but seriously, there's so many shirts around now that have button down collars that would be so much better without the buttons. They may have their place on oxfords and some old style stodgy dress shirts to be worn with a tie, but they nerd-down an otherwise decent shirt. 

Take Gustin for example (yeah I know not every one here's cup o tea, and not necessarily mine) but they are getting some really cool fabrics and the over all cut and quality of their shirting look good, but they have ONE style that has a button down collar. Most of the great fabrics they are working with are NOT suited to that style. It's like their making shirts for semi-preppy semi-hipster young guys that want to be edgy and cool, but are too scared to really be adventurous and free thinking. Kinda like Octane on SiriusXM - hard rock/metal that really just corporate crap posing as metal and made for guys who work in cubicles and want to feel like they're metal heads. 

Rant over. Thank you. Please proceed as before... 

I (mostly) agree with you here.. but i'm a little confused, we don't carry Gustin and from my memory we don't really have many shirts where the collars have buttons.  I can't even think of more than one or two shirts in the past year that we've had with a buttoned collar.

Hey Kiya, like i said at the beginning of my rant, this isn't directed at you or SE or any brands you carry. I've noticed that you only have a couple of shirts w/ button downs. I was only using Gustin as an example of the many makers I've looked at that are putting button on their collars. 

If nothing else I thought this might spark a discussion and I'd either get shot down or enlightened. 

Hey Kiya, like i said at the beginning of my rant, this isn't directed at you or SE or any brands you carry. I've noticed that you only have a couple of shirts w/ button downs. I was only using Gustin as an example of the many makers I've looked at that are putting button on their collars. 

If nothing else I thought this might spark a discussion and I'd either get shot down or enlightened. 

Ah, ok.  We generally won't order a shirt if the collar style doesn't match the rest of the details or fabric.  It's like seeing a dressy boot with workboot construction, it's not pretty.

Is the Wild Child wallet going to be restocked?

Yup, we've been waiting for a restock on this but they're only produced twice a year. Should be within the next four weeks or so.

Paid my first visit to Self Edge at their Portland location, met Tyler and got myself a pair of Stevenson 727! Really enjoyed my experience including the awesome customer service. Hemming was also done super fast as I was coming out of town. Can't say enough good things. Thanks again Tyler!

I love short sleeve shirts and the Sugar Cane is quickly becoming a favorite.

BkzCoWp.png

On a side note, I'm hoping to hit SELA for the first time at the end of this month. My wife and daughters want to hit the Grove which I realized is so close. Daddy needs some free time :)

I love short sleeve shirts and the Sugar Cane is quickly becoming a favorite.

BkzCoWp.png

On a side note, I'm hoping to hit SELA for the first time at the end of this month. My wife and daughters want to hit the Grove which I realized is so close. Daddy needs some free time :)

ive been eyeballing that shirt, might have to pick it up.  I really wish they had my size in the long sleeve version..

Kiya, any word/details you can share when or if Flat Head is dropping a wabash this fall?  

Yes, they're doing it again but we did not order it this year.  A lot of awesome flannels coming instead.