Omnigod denim??

hamham3001

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Curiosity got the best of me and I bought a pair of the Omnigod 50-056a.

The denim on these is fantastic. There's a dark greenish tint to them that really appeals to me, and a lot of character in the denim. The finishing and appointments on them is also top notch.

The 056 is a slim straight cut

r0011345.jpg

r0011346.jpg

5 button fly, hidden back pocket rivets

r0011366.jpg

Orange tab, Shiny leather patch, looks plastic-y (but we've seen how these can age a la Denime).

r0011348.jpg

Iron fly buttons, sure to rust and age beautifully over time.

r0011354p.jpg

Herringbone pocket bags, custom rivets.

r0011357.jpg

Raised belt loops. I had read that some pairs have flat belt loops so this was a pleasant surprise.

r0011351.jpg

Trademark orange selvage

r0011358z.jpg

Nice and tidy felled(?) inseam. Haven't seen this detail on any of my other Japanese denim, usually an overlocked inseam. About the only shortcoming I found was that the chainstitch hem was started/finished on the inseam, rather than the outseam.

r0011359.jpg

Denim closeup. There's a subtle streaky, slubbiness to the denim where the weft yarns show through (maybe characteristic of the loom it was woven on?)

r0011360.jpg

Denim rainbow to show the colour of the denim relative to other denim. (L to R, Eternal 811, Flat Head 1001 raw, Warehouse 700J, Omnigod, Fullcount 1108-15 raw, Blue in Green N-02 raw)

r0011365.jpg

Fit

frontvj.pngsidej.pngbackvei.png

Big thanks to Rob and Nora at Okiya for their help and patience with my annoying questions and requests, and for making this lesser known brand available to the world!

Edited by PeterParker

Nice one pp, did you get them one wash or raw?

Chainstitch starting on the inseam is always a bonus in my opinion as you don't see the join/runoff on the displayed selvage outer seam. When I have jeans chainstitched, I try to remember to ask for that.

one-wash. i don't know if omnigod is available raw.

my preference for the chainstitch detail is strictly as a purist; a skilled worker on the union special can start and finish the chainstitch almost seamlessly. in this case, it shouldn't matter where the stitch starts, but starting on the outseam where it is visible displays the craftsmanship.

i think andrew of selfedge nyc did an interview where he showed how to chainstitch and explained the details.

worth noting: the eternals, flat heads, warehouse, and fullcounts all have chaintstitched hems starting at the outseam. my burgus and big pairs were started on the inseam. it makes sense that the largest and most famous denim houses have the most skilled workers, not that there are any deficiencies in the workmanship of the other jeans mentioned.

also worth noting: take5 hk hemmed two pairs of my jeans starting at the outseam. big hemmed mine starting at the inseam, although i made no specific requests in either case. however, in all cases the starting location was consistent with the location of the factory hem.

/nerding out about chainstitching

Edited by PeterParker

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ah, thanks heaps for this, hoggy. really warms the cockles of my heart to get such detailed response for a sizing question!

i think i'd be a 33 in this, then.

ever since peterparker posted his pair, i've always had this pair in the back of my mind. particularly fond of the felled inseam, orange selvedge, fuzzy look of the denim, and the cut (at least on his svelte physique).

the patch though, omigod! could they be even plainer.

where did you get your pair, somewhere in the uk, i suppose, since you were able to do returns?

thanks again!