Reggae / Dub

cprotch

ok... heres some faves of mine... not gonna categorize them...

sizzla

capleton

burning spear

big youth

charlie chaplain

josey wales

roots radics

michigan and smiley

barrington levy

general echo

johnny osbourne

gregory issacs

jacob miller

culture

luciano

warrior king

jr kelly

king tubby

jackie mittoo

toots and the maytals

abyssinians

and thats just a few....

i got into jamaican music through skinhead music, not the stoner style. still love it just the same.

stuff i will never get sick of (i'll lump ska/rocksteady/reggae together):

alton ellis

symarip

abyssians

barrington levy

any king django projects

crystalites

upsetters / lee perry projects

judge dread

horace andy

phyllis dillon

buju banton (especially the earlier shit)

maan.. i got this reggae shit on lock. An old roommate of mine and I really delved into reggae.. i feel like i have a good handle on most of it now.

if your looking for good roots reggae you have have have to check out bunny wailer. He was part of the wailers (duh) but never really hit it big in the US on his own. Look for the album "blackheart man". sooo classic. Also for more of a modern roots reggae sound check out Burning Spear. "Creation Rebel" is a great starting album for them. They still do shows (at least here in cali) so you can see them live.

But if you really want to get into reggae, and get a whole scope of knowledge.. go pick up the box sets put out by Trojan. They are named based on what they contain: ex: trojan roots, trojan upsetters and so on. I think you can find them on amazon.. like 10 or 20$ for 4 cd's of straight classic stuff. One of those "i cant believe how cheap this is" type things.

spread the knowledge!

maan.. i got this reggae shit on lock. An old roommate of mine and I really delved into reggae.. i feel like i have a good handle on most of it now.

if your looking for good roots reggae you have have have to check out bunny wailer. He was part of the wailers (duh) but never really hit it big in the US on his own. Look for the album "blackheart man". sooo classic. Also for more of a modern roots reggae sound check out Burning Spear. "Creation Rebel" is a great starting album for them. They still do shows (at least here in cali) so you can see them live.

But if you really want to get into reggae, and get a whole scope of knowledge.. go pick up the box sets put out by Trojan. They are named based on what they contain: ex: trojan roots, trojan upsetters and so on. I think you can find them on amazon.. like 10 or 20$ for 4 cd's of straight classic stuff. One of those "i cant believe how cheap this is" type things.

spread the knowledge!

you dont know shit man... spear has been putting out records since the late 60s... wouldnt call him modern. for a starting album id go with marcus garvey or hail H.I.M., both considered classics.

oh, and the trojan records comps are shitty... you only get singles relesed by trojan or ras records. most of the good shit was not put out by them, but either on JA labels in the form of 45s, or later on by greensleeves or VP for albums.

i never claimed spear was a new group, i'm just saying that they are a modern "roots reggae"... roots is by definition an old school sound, but spear incorperates a lot of new instrumentation and shit into their music.

And i've heard the argument that the trojan sets are badly recorded, bsides etc. I still think they capture the real essence of reggae from the time when it was really getting down. It gives you a the whole range of music from the time. And for 15$ you can't beat the value.

I'm not tryin to e-beef man, i'd much rather discuss.

Cheap - Don't underestimate those Trojan comps, Trojan wasn't in Jamaica but they licensed almost all of their tracks from JA labels and their catalog is loaded with much of the best Jamaican music of the 60's and early 70's. Their strength is definitely more in the ska/rock steady era though, so if you are talking about later cultural roots stuff then yeah, there's a lot more out there. But those comps are a good, cheap starting point for someone curious about this music for sure.

jackie mittoo

the og skatalites (don drummond, tommy mccook, rolando alphonse, lloyd knibbs, mitoo, brevitt etc...)

desmond dekker

prince buster

lee perry

toots hibbert

late 60's trojan "skinhead reggae" (symarip, upsetters, "young gifted and black")

abyssinians

melodians

bunny

king tubby

sizzla

anything pre 1975 i love but there is alot after that i really dig too.

yeah... sorry... im an elitist... my reggae introduction was from some rasta djs, so most of it i heard on the original 45s.

no worries, i feel u on the quality of the originals. Have you heard the bob marley sets they have be releasing the last few years where they went back and cleaned everything up? digitized it and shit i guess.. buncha previously unreleased shit from some vault. Real good shit.

side topic.. have you ever been able to find actual reggae vinyl? I swear i've spent hours in ameoba (SanFran) and i can't find anything but dancehall shit.

no worries, i feel u on the quality of the originals. Have you heard the bob marley sets they have be releasing the last few years where they went back and cleaned everything up? digitized it and shit i guess.. buncha previously unreleased shit from some vault. Real good shit.

side topic.. have you ever been able to find actual reggae vinyl? I swear i've spent hours in ameoba (SanFran) and i can't find anything but dancehall shit.

og jamaican vinyl is the holy grail of reggae collecting. good luck.

like i said before, i dont like bob too much. he was a great pop singer, but sub standard reggae singer.

on the topic of records, you gotta dig. i dont know of any spots, but i dont collect records either.

oh def. thats why the US creamed their pants on him, but people like niney and bunny got shit upon.

I have a pile of records.. and i don't even have a record player anymore. Time to stop?.... naaah.

Bunny Lion (!!!!!)

Desmond Dekker

Peter Tosh

I really don't care for roots at all. Here, everyone and their mom has a bob marley hoodie/shirt/tote bag/ect.

I like Dancehall because it's just so fucking chessey and ridiculous... But I just cut it down, so, I guess I don't really like it.

I like Dub though;

Zion Train

The Choice Cuts

Roots Manuva

Jah Shaka

Brain Damage

Reggae is awesome? Spend some time in Brighton and you'll hate the stuff. I dare any of SF to come here for a significant period of time and not want to shoot every single white middle class weed-smoking hippy fuck who can't shut up about it.

Having said that, 1960s Jamaican horn sections rule the roost. Rico Rodriguez ftw (even if he was more on the ska side). Actually, generally I vastly prefer Jamaican ska, but sax is one of my main instruments so I guess I'm somewhat biased.

• 1 month later...

Fantan Mojah!!! Richie Spice!!! Sizzla is always good. Morgan Heritage, Barrington Levy, Anthony B, Jah Cure, Junior Reid. This is just off the top of my head. I used to have a college radio new sounds reggae show.