Reggae / Dub

cprotch

burning spear- marcus garvey album, hail H.I.M.

sizzla- da real ting, any singles from 1996 to 1998

capleton- more fire

jacob miller- tennement yard, tired fi lick weed inna bush

culture- two sevens clash

anything by the following-

king tubby, charlie chaplin, josey wales, yellowman, absynnians, big youth, dr alimantado, anything with roots radics as the backing band, any bobby digital produced tracks, any henry "juno" lawes produced track.

and many many more... this is just off the top of my head,

lee perry arkology is a must have plus the early recordings of the wailers are boss

king tubby he wasn't the king for nothing

some niney stuff observer station is worth it for porti's big man among others

horace andy

bunny wailer amargedeon kills if you want reggae produced for non jamacian audiences...

will think of more later

Great calls cmf and hap...

On the Lee Scratch Perry Arkology that Hap mentions, you can hear a couple of tracks by the Congos. Heart of the Congos is one of the best reggae albums I've ever heard. Lee Scratch at his peak IMO.

King Jammy has some killer tracks I've mostly heard on compilations.

Curious to know if anyone else loves Dub Syndicate/Adrian Sherwood. Their output is uneven IMO, but some of the tracks are brilliant. If you can find Classic Selections Vol. I (I think it's an On-U Sound release), it's awesome. Also Cry Tuff Dub Encounter Chapter I, it's Prince Far I x Dub Syndicate, very nice.

Augustus Pablo.

Katchafire

whoa...weird to see aotearoa reggae here....inot a fan of katchafire myself you like the south pacific take on reggae...i would definately check out herbs...and more recently kora...

nz/aotearoa is reggae mad...and most of the dance music here is reggae influenced...fat freddies drop...the list is endless...

uncle bob is definately revered here...

on a almost reggae tip...

sly and robbie on grace jones compass point sessions...

You want dub? You need anything on Basic Replay, Burial Mix or Bullwackies.

Best album series of recent years is the Rhythm and Sound project of Mark Ernestus and Mauritz Von Oswald.

See Mi Yah (and remixes) particularly but also Versions and With the Artists. Includes vocal talent like Paul St Hilaire, Horace Andy, The Chosen Brothers and Bobbo Shanti amongst others.

The track 'Poor people must work' has to be heard to be believed.

White mice seminal dub album has just been re-released. http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=24142

In fact Boomkat is a good recommendation for finding lots of dub, both roots/reggae and the basic channel stuff.

Pole is fantastic if you want really minimal german dub.

Im really surprised no one has mentioned Richie Spice or Barrington Levy. Or Junior Reed for that matter.

Anyhow, shameless plug... I have a reggae show monday nights at midnight (pacific time) that you can stream on itunes via KOXY.org.

• 2 months later...

i'm planning on compiling a collection of good reggae songs. i was wondering if you guys can recommend some.

i'm looking for something that's not too obvious like bob, ziggy, or peter tosh. more of the dancehall stuff. something in the likes of "what a bam bam" by sister nancy or "more wood for de fire" by iwayne

thank you. much appreciated.

ok...

roots:

toots and the maytals

burning spear

abasynnians

jacob miller

lee perry

dancehall:

sizzla

capleton

buju banton

yellowman

warrior king

jr kelly

jr reid

josey wales

brigadier jerry

big youth

dr alimantado

michigan and smiley

that should get you started...

i once heard a statistic that one in 3 jamacian males have put out a record...