Denime 66xx World Tour

louisbosco

Hahah, yes it is! And same here; I caught myself doing about that speed going down it last night! I work in the Admiral District and it is pretty odd, feels like a small town. The same few people come into my place almost every day, the old movie theater down the street is still running, and so is the arcade game-filled bar around the corner. Did you go to West Seattle High?

whoa Chicote for president! Volvo scout, mullet extraordinaire, and all around denim tour bitch!

really appreciated your very entertaining posts, bravo.

We want you for the next TCB contest, dead or alive (mullet is mandatory though)!!!

Sorry for my long absence, i've been working doubles the whole last week and today's my first day off.

So I spent the morning talking to (really, talking at) a bunch of high school kids! I was invited to a high school in north seattle to extoll the virtues of postponing going to university and working/travelling/generally figuring out what you want to do with your life. Nobody asked any questions, everybody was on their phones the whole time, and three people made fun of my mullet. So these things go...

Anyway, afterwards I went back to work and covered the end of my friend's shift and then went to Alki Beach, which is down the road. On the left side of Alki Road are all these little seaside stores, fish markets and restaurants and the like:

image.jpg

And on the right side, the ocean!

image.jpg

I sat on the stairs and smoked cigarettes like the disaffected businessperson I was this morning, and worked a bit on a poem for the poetry slam I go to on Wednesdays. Here's a quick fit pic (these jeans fit so well!)

image.jpg

A couple of days ago, I slipped into the rails of the new streetcar line and got tossed off my bike. Didn't get scraped up too badly, but the jeans, unfortunately, lost out:

image.jpg

Oh well! About time these lost some color anyways.

On my way back I drove through the city and by this nice mural of Sodo:

image.jpg

And also by the old Filson headquarters!

image.jpg

I'm hoping to follow up this evening with some photos from the poetry slam, and (if I make it in time) some photos from Blue Owl in Fremont and from a show I might go to downtown!

Woohoo! Okay, see y'all later!

Edited by chicote

Hey everyone!

Gosh it's late, but I'll try and get this done so I don't have to worry about it before work tomorrow.

Well, firstly, I made it to Blue Owl!

image.jpg

Kevin, Alex, Logan and Jay were all working, and it was nice to see them all—otherwise, the shop was pretty quiet. Everyone thought the concept of this world tour was pretty funny, and we sat around and talked for a while up until around closing. But first—they let me take some pictures around the store!

The shop was expanded a couple of years ago to take this whole huge back room—when I first came here a few years ago, it was just the front area where Jay works and what's now the storage space behind it.

image.jpg

Along the front walls they've got a bunch of faded denim; lots of Momotaro, since that is Blue Owl's 'flagship' brand, so to speak, but also 3sixteen, PBJ, Japan Blue, etc.

image.jpg

So many shades of indigo on this table! All PBJ and SDA.

image.jpg

Here, actually, is my first pair of Japanese denim, which I bought here almost four years ago—a Japan Blue and Momotaro "collaboration" (though the extent to which it's a collaboration and not just an amalgamation is up for debate, as they're part of the same parent company anyway). Wow, sorry these pictures are all so horrible.

image.jpg

They poured me a glass of local whiskey while I was in, so nice! Whiskey glass pictured empty (I had some of the peated whiskey from the bottle on the right in the background).

image.jpg

Finally, a look at their slightly jerry-rigged Union Special, which has hemmed a probably-uncountable number of jeans (at least five of mine!). The thing on the top is the speed dial, which is reportedly set between 640 and 680 stitches per minute for most hems—that's more than 10 stitches per second, for those of you keeping score at home.

image.jpg

And a clandestine look at their storeroom—ooh:

image.jpg

Edited by chicote

A block or so out of Blue Owl is this statue of Lenin. I don't know why it's here, but people seem to like it a lot.

After some preliminary research, I've found that the statue was originally made in Czechoslovakia in 1988, but removed after the Velvet Revolution, which was the end of communist rule in that country. The statue passed through some apparent period of limbo and then was purchased by an English teacher who came across it in a Czechoslovakian scrapyard. The teacher mortgaged his house to be able to afford the statue and its shipment back to the US ($50,000+ in total) and then was killed in a car accident shortly after the statue arrived at his home. His family placed it here, at this corner, in 1995, apparently as a means of advertising it to potential buyers (current asking price $250,000).

image.jpg

Moving on now, to get some beer!

image.jpg

This is Outlander, which is basically a house that had a home-brewery in the basement, but then the brewery took over the house! They're known for a lot of experimental beers, like a basil ale, a mushroom stout, a number of smoked and barrel-aged things, but they also do straight-up ales, stouts and lagers (mainly) very well.

I had the "que pasilla" amber, which supposedly had some kind of chili in it, although I didn't taste it much.

image.jpg

And after a half-hour there, struggling through this Vollman book, I left to go catch the poetry slam!

But first, a stop at the ~~world famous~~ Fremont Troll!!!

image.jpg

It lives under the bridge and was captured in the process of eating a (real) old car! I'm surprised there weren't a bunch of tourists climbing on it when I came by; usually it's hard to get a clear photo. Enjoy it while you can!

Anyway, then I got to the slam—Alex Dang was the feature, who came up from Portland and kicked ass! This was really one of the best slams I've been to in ages, definitely the best one this year.

image.jpg

Unfortunately, someone stole my bike while I was in there, so I won't be able to adventure quite as much unless it somehow makes its way back to me. We'll see!

Edited by chicote

Hi everyone!

I suppose it's high time that I begin to ask: who else wants to wear these pants?

I think I still have a week or so left, but it's looking as though work will continue to deny me the opportunity to share this wonderful city with you all. I'm planning to go on a hike next Monday but that may be my final contribution to this leg of the tour.

It would be fun to wear and document the jeans in August as it's the most action filled month of my (work) year, but I guess someone can take a turn in between, depending on how long it takes to send them. I'm in Norway by the way.

Any month works for me though!

The waist and entire top block shrinks a lot when they're out of the wash, but the denim gives within a few hours and could end up working for you. If you'd like I could try and drive down to portland some time next week to have you try them out—i have some friends down there i've been meaning to visit anyway. (edit: contingent upon the guidelines we've set out for this world tour—I'd like to at least get flash's approval to pass the jeans along to somebody who wasn't on the original list.)

Edited by chicote

Calling anyone in the order the list if they want the pair next.. if not they can go to hendsch..

The list so far:

1) louisbosco

2) lukenstein

3) Rightyow77

4) chicote

5) Artisandenim

6) Lendo

7) Mandel9000

8) SLAB

Edited by louisbosco

Hi guys, sorry I haven't been posting (anywhere) for a while - there is a reason which I will explain shortly...

I have been following with interest though - well done everyone so far, its been really interesting and enjoyable having a little window into your neighborhoods and lives, thank you!

No problem with them going to Hendsch before me especially as he is so (relatively) local to Chicote. Enjoy  ;)

No problems at all with Hendsch taking June-July, but would you mind trading places with me, @Artisandenim? I have so much fun going on in August and close to nothing in September, just thought it would be more interesting to follow for the rest here. We're both in Europe, so shipping should work out well. 

Edit: Just saw that @Lendo is in-between too, no worries if it's a lot of hassle to change the order. 

Edited by mandel9000

Hi guys, sorry I haven't been posting (anywhere) for a while - there is a reason which I will explain shortly...

I have been following with interest though - well done everyone so far, its been really interesting and enjoyable having a little window into your neighborhoods and lives, thank you!

No problem with them going to Hendsch before me especially as he is so (relatively) local to Chicote. Enjoy  ;)

hope everything is going well with you.. :)

Edited by louisbosco

image.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone pic, but here they are after their third and final wash of my leg, just about to be driven down to portland to pass on to Blake! The denim is puckering at the seams, marbling under the pockets and just beginning to get streaky down the thighs. It's been a wonderful month, thanks everybody for following!