Mid to late 90's emo saved my life

poly800rock

ahh the promise ring, sucked when I heard they broke up after wood/water which is a reaaaallly good mellow album so different from the rest of their stuff.

What to you is good Promise ring? I like pretty much all of it with few exceptions. First promise ring song I heard was in an old skate video.

Piebald was cool too.

This is the shit I love, more than fashion/clothes/denim... its music music music for me.

and I hear you poly, I still enjoy a listen I have the 81:03 and it gets good rotation

pr was good from their first record until very emergency (although a bit spotty). nothing feels good was my jam though. everything afterwards sucked ballsack, but they redeemed themselves by being a pretty good live band.

video taped? sick , would love a copy of it if that would be possible... I can get the VCR out of the attick. My girlfriend bought a bootleg gloria record dvd off of ebay and its terrible quality but you get the idea of what it would have been like to see them... mannnnnn my funeral party

unfortunately, just an audio tape. don't think anyone video taped it.

video taped? sick , would love a copy of it if that would be possible... I can get the VCR out of the attick. My girlfriend bought a bootleg gloria record dvd off of ebay and its terrible quality but you get the idea of what it would have been like to see them... mannnnnn my funeral party

i saw gloria record at the 4040 in philly a few years back and went to see them...but National Skyline blew them away, couldn't even stay for gloria record because NOTHING could top national skyline. Then tried to see gloria record again in boston at TT's and the singer from spoon was playing and he did the same...they should not have picked such good openers...

ya very emergency wasn't fantastic but it had some good ones like jersey shore and all of my everythings, living around... you didn't like wood/water?

and ya nothing feels good was awesome

down the ferry, our eyes eager for indiansssth, down the ferry with wild irish you never know where you are. and you never know our eyes, eager for indians. down the ferry with wild eyes even lately. where you're wearing a dirty coat of sound

all this promise ring talk and I forgot to mention vermont, davey's other band (and the drummer from promise ring was here as well). I don't have any of their releases, they're hard to come by ... I buy mostly used CD's at a local place, I'm sort of a patron.

edit: just found this http://www.emusic.com/album/10774/10774924.html

downloadable vermont

National Skyline was people from hum originally as far as I know.

I must have caught another one of those shows on that tour with the gloria record in cambridge at the middle east.

National Skyline was going wild. the album that was sold on that tour is a must have.

texas reunion? reunion of what/who? or am I just missing something and there is a band?

writing this post I am reminded of Texas is the Reason.

you reminded me of Texas is the Reason!

i was more into get up kids and STD...

do you guys remmember that skate video of Marc Johnson with the promise ring and built to spill song?

I can't check youtube at work, but I believe there were a few hilarious Cap'n Jazz vids on there, you can see Davey bouncing along on guitar off to the left.

Not to get all new emo, but with American Football and Owen, Mike turned out to be the most palatable Kinsella.

The postmarked stamp series comp was also good. Mostly the same people.

Edit: for the record, Promise Ring is the emo-est band name ever.

I'm sorry, saves the day were never cool.

Um, what? As someone who works in the music industry, I have been to my fair share of shitty concerts and heard more than my fair share of shitty bands....needless to say, no one in their right mind can argue that STD are a shitty band and that as a whole were "never cool."

Emo in general is certainly not "cool" at all (unless you are into gay haircuts of course), but musically speaking, there is no band of the 2000's that, in my opinion, has ever been as successful in changing their style on every single album they ever made and doing it well. It is true that their latest efforts (past two albums) were not as great as the others, but they were still good nonetheless....how dare ye blaspheme them you pirate scum.

And whoah, if you think Piebald is a good band then there is no point in even conversing.......this strikes me more as a "I like Piebald because they are more 'hardcore' emo and thus must hate all less 'hardcore' bands" than a statement of educated preference. Piebald eats STD's bum.

Ahh man, through being cool is one of the catchiest albums ever. Can't slow down rules, stay what you are had alot of great, dare I say, pop songs... all three of those albums along with their acoustic [ep] included on their b-sides release , ups and downs. are great.

In reverie I hated the second I put it in and it took a year of nost listening to it for me to enjoy any of it, but I came around and ended up enoying most of it, not to the extent of their first couple though, and I'm hoping the same will be true of their latest, sound the alarm, which iss.... ok.

Awesome live band though

i agree with this

hey dong-man....don't you fucking start.......or I will seek a legion of dudes clad in this:

http://www.bleedingstarclothing.com/

With haircuts like this:

4e0t75c.jpg

on your ass.........they will scratch out your eyes with bloody fingernails and sing a song of your death whilst crying over your candle-lit corpse.

I don't want to get in an internet argument with england, because I'm entirely confident I'll lose (plus, arguing about emo isn't cool), but... Saves the Day were crap. And you're right, I didn't say they outright sucked, I said they were never cool. As someone in the music-listening-to population, I've been to my fair share of shitty concerts, and Saves the Day played at several of them.

Sure, their songs were catchy, but so are, um, cell phone rings. Sure, they were a tight band, but so is Ratdog. I hate them more with my heart than with my head--I hold them partially responsible for the bastardization and mall-ification of an otherwise enjoyable sub-genre of music. If you listen to a few Fallout Boy/My Chemical Romance tunes, then Rites of Spring; you can't make a connection. Listen to that ear-wrenching tripe, then Braid; a passing resemblance. There is a direct line from Saves the Day, through Midtown/Newfound Glory, to the new crop of haircut emo. To completely punch a hole in my argument, I fucking love Lifetime, though that's more for associative reasons than cold hard light of day musical reasons.

I'm not gonna say I don't have some STD songs on my mp3 player, but I also have a half dozen Doobie Brothers songs on there, so that's not saying much. Saves the Day were never cool.

Just in honor of this thread, I came home from work and emo-d out:

emoxi3.jpg

Promise Ring shirt: check

Ratty cords: check

Sauconys: check

Emo-ciated skinniness: lost in 2000

englandmj7, i dont see why you use your position in the music industry to stick up for one band and to show disrespect for another.. in my oppinion if any band has made it far enough for a variety of people have a listen to them and gain a fanbase, then they are deserving of any and everyones respect.

sometimes i wish people would stop throwing around the word hardcore.. screaming and heavily distorted guitar is by no means- hardcore..

as i recall hardcore branched from the punk scene and is therefore more on the minimalist

side of the music spectrum and more focused on conveying a message.

subgenres are a gigantic clusterfuck anyhow. please ignore my directionless rant.