Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I really doubt that better cuts would've made the reaction any different.

And sure maybe the net result of most things is that we don't know much about it, but it's so so different when it's a deliberate move rather than just the nature of it being a japanese company. Completely different!

If not for that denim hounds guy moronic review, i probably wouldn't be so rabidly against  the brand.

^ For games I use the T1 because of its accuracy and spatial abilities. For music, the Fostex cans for EDM, Omni for other stuff. The Fostex x Massdrop cans are good value, check them out!

Witcher 3 is great! Fantastic really!

I also like Fallout 4.

Also, TES Skyrim is having a remastered edition in October.

witcher 3 is one of the best games I have ever played.  I play on Xbox One, cannot imagine how it looks and runs on a bad ass PC.  

Do you think the remastered skyrim will be good? I had a pretty modded skyrim going at one point and it was fantastic, if the modding community can get behind the remastered version it might be pretty amazing! If only they could improve the combat system and make it more challenging it would be perfect

Same here, spent lots of time on it back in the day. AFAIK, most mods remain compatible. Haven't heard anything related to game play mechanism changes, but an update would be welcome.

What are you guys playing on? This thing is a beast for lightroom now and photoshop, i can't believe i was working on a macbook pro for so long, never again 

Always fills my heart with joy when an Apple mac user sees the light

RE Tanuki, and perhaps this may be close to the end of the discussion for better or for worse, but I don't think they look that bad. Nothing out of this world for sure, but not bad.

Kyle mentioned that it's probably rampuya behind it to some extent, which makes sense given blue owl's close relationship with momotaro et al, not to mention the signature colored inseam thread, and the denim kinda resembles momo vintage label. We all know they can make a quality product, and these even have some welcome details like elongated front pockets, which is a plus at least for me.

I think my main point is, Tanuki is trying to establish itself based on secrecy or hidden mastery, which sounds corny or lame, but when it comes to actually getting transparency with our favorite Japanese companies, it's sort of all the same to someone like me. I don't speak Japanese and I'll probably never visit these denim mills and secret sewing houses (ahem, flat head) so all I have to go on about any of these companies is what I learn here and from others, or information from retailers. Any of these Japanese brands might as well be from Mars, but I think that's part of the appeal, for me anyway.

Edit: Just thought I'd add that the fits are terrible, but perhaps if this brand had debuted with a straight 50's or 60's cut, they'd have more of this board's attention, myself included. Maybe that says something about sufu haha :)

the secrecy thing kinda reminds me of the way Gustin markets and sells their jeans as 'from one of the finest mills in Japan.' In and of itself it irks me when they don't reveal which mill they're using, but at the same time, it's more about the denim itself.

With that said, i'm fairly ignorant about the people behind some of Japan's best denim companies, nor do I really care all that much. I know they're all legit so in the end I already know my money is supporting these companies in some way. I actually think Tanuki's stuff looks decent, but at $300+ i'm unlikely to buy a pair.

At this point Tanuki should probably send out a couple of pairs for reviewing. I'm honestly surprised nobody on any of the forums have examined a pair. Are there so few of us left?

Is this the aftermath of peak-selvedge?

Well, the reason no one is buying them is the same reason they have to resort to gimmicks. What is special about them that warrants a purchase?

People here have warehouse, full count, SDA... These are all amazing brands, best case scenario is Tanuki is as good, I doubt it'd be better because at this level it's all subjective criteria. Why buy a brand just because it's new if it doesn't offer anything compelling and unique?

At this point Tanuki should probably send out a couple of pairs for reviewing. I'm honestly surprised nobody on any of the forums have examined a pair. Are there so few of us left?

Is this the aftermath of peak-selvedge?

Aftermath, and experienced buyers knowing what they want.  

Finally looked at their measurements on Blue Owl, sizing is fucky.  10.75" raw front rise on a size 36 RT1.... They're kidding, right?  For being "masters" they haven't figured out anything less than a 11" post wash rise in a jean that size is unwearable.  Waist is pretty big too for the amount of thigh the jean is starting with.  

TCB make 60s jeans, sanforized 505s and orange tab superslims as well as 50s repros, so something for everyone I'd say.

Mikecch, for a definitive answer, I'd contact mr randal at Denimbro but I think a number of Sufu members weren't too happy with the juvenile, flippant and sometimes slightly nasty (more relevant to Supertrash) direction that it could be perceived Sufu was heading in.

It seems that a lot of the forum is moving towards the looser-fitting repro brands... these companies make nice stuff but don't interest me at all. If SuFu turns into Denimbro (a forum I've always found to be completely insufferable) then I have less and less to contribute. Especially since I'm going the opposite direction toward a more contemporary style. I'd be much more likely to wear something from Nudie than TCB or whatever.

I agree... the repro stuff doesn't interest me at all either!

Why do you find denimbro insufferable? Because of the people or the style?

I can't help but laugh when I hear that denimbro was made because they thought superfuture was too nasty, I'm not part of many forums at all, but denimbro has been by far the nastiest to me. I also find it funny when you here snide remarks about superfuture, this place is super super nice and even in 2011 (when i think denimbro was formed?) i can't remember superdenim being anything but helpful.

I feel bad talking crap on denimbro though because i briefly met Mr. Randal (roy6) at inspiration and he was really nice!

Mikecch, for a definitive answer, I'd contact mr randal at Denimbro but I think a number of Sufu members weren't too happy with the juvenile, flippant and sometimes slightly nasty (more relevant to Supertrash) direction that it could be perceived Sufu was heading in.

Thanks MF. I didn't recall SuFu being all that bad back then, and honestly SuperTrash is completely optional if we're just here for the denim.

It's good to see Mark being able to launch some pretty exciting things off of the DenimBro community though.

Why do you find denimbro insufferable? Because of the people or the style?

I can't help but laugh when I hear that denimbro was made because they thought superfuture was too nasty, I'm not part of many forums at all, but denimbro has been by far the nastiest to me. I also find it funny when you here snide remarks about superfuture, this place is super super nice and even in 2011 (when i think denimbro was formed?) i can't remember superdenim being anything but helpful.

I feel bad talking crap on denimbro though because i briefly met Mr. Randal (roy6) at inspiration and he was really nice!

My feeling is that DenimBro is a niche community inside a niche community, small and difficult to break in...most of the old timers seem a bit older too, compared to us folks mostly (? assuming here) in our twenties and thirties.

Agreed, Superdenim has always been helpful and quite open, as far as general denim interests go.

Denimbro is a great resource for sizing advice about brand experience/knowledge but can be a little. .. 'exclusive' and clique'y

I especially like the interview section...too bad no recent ones.

Edited by mikecch

i like denimbro but they always kick me out there specially when i talk about lofgren and that ishmael dude right there man i dont . i think hes the one who started tasuki denim or something heard hes like a gaijin in japan. and hes like a lofgren fanboy .. i dont know but yeah i think its him man.

Ed they kick you out because you're an instigator and you try and stir up trouble over and over again rather than just talk about it in a polite way... Also i'd bet my life ishmael didn't start tanuki. Like Kyle said it's probably momotaro or whatever.

and what do you mean "like a gaijin"? He's a white guy living in japan so yes hes a gaijin... haha