Reykjavic - ideas please

Harmony

Heading to Iceland in June. Can anyone give my any ideas what to see and do? I'd like to see bands (any idea if Slowblow are playing in June?), go to bars (not clubs) and eat well (not rotten shark). Any of those trips into the surrounding countryside worth doing? Also, where should I stay. I guess I wanna be near 101 area? I had a look at Borg on the net — looks old and stuffy. Thanks.

i went to reykjavic in 1990, so can't say anything about clubs or shops as everything has surely changed now... however, i did go on an icelandic pony trek into the countryside, and i would say it was definitely worthwhile. the landscape is quite beautiful and you don't really get to appreciate it when you are in the city. also, you are going when the days are getting longer - nice long twilights! make sure you bring layerable clothing as weather changes quickly.

hmmm... i think there's a bug in here somewhere. my posted reply has disappeared again!!!

if it reappears, please forgive the repetition...

i went to reykjavic in 1990 so no advice on clubs or shops as i can't remember (probably all different now anyway).

i did an icelandic pony trek into the countryside. you can go for an hour or a few days. i thought it was very worthwhile. the landscape is quite beautiful and you don't get to really appreciate it when you are in the city. if you're a rider, it is also interesting because the ponies have an extra gait that english and western horses don't.

the light quality also seemed different, perhaps because there wasn't as much pollution as i was accustomed to at home? i don't know about now, but back then, the heating was geothermal since iceland is a volcanic island, and the hot water that came out of the tap was naturally heated mineral water!

you'll be going when the days are getting longer, so nice long twilights.

bring layers to put on and peel off as necessary - weather changes quickly and unexpectedly.