ITT you can help me go to college (srs)

LeonardToby

I just turned 21 last week and I know my dad's beating himself up inside on how to send me to college without the money. 
Was hoping you could all do me some kindness if it was within your means. Questions accepted too, ask away :)

Donate to moi at - http://www.gofundme.com/9llkyw

kinda clicked in here cos I was curious

probably wouldn't have neg but wouldn't have donated but then I remember that someone once gave me sound advice he said

it doesn't hurt to ask.

hell, you might get the 25k ur looking for, may not

but I look at myself and how much I spend on misc stuff, figured I could go without a pastry or two plus the tip I usually give, and made a small donation

it's money I burn anyways

best of luck to you

I'm always for people wanting to better themselves with education or skills that can pay forward

you guys are the absolute best, id hug and kiss every single one of you if i could :'(

I honestly came in here asking without so much as expecting a single donation but im speechless at all the kindness you guys have shown me. Thank you so much I wish you guys all the best in everything

I cant express my gratitude enough! Thanks everyone for their donations, their well wishes, everything :)

remember that if you go to college or not your parents will be proud of you either way

Edited by uhhuh69

remember that if you go to college or not your parents will be proud of you either way

Appreciate that man! Yeah definitely true, I just want to be the first in my family to go to college and give em an easy life in the future haha maybe buy them that trip to europe theyve always wanted

depending on the field being self made is possible. but I commend you for reaching out to sufu in such a respectful way. don't have the means to contribute right now but if and when I do I definitely might.

Appreciate that man! Yeah definitely true, I just want to be the first in my family to go to college and give em an easy life in the future haha maybe buy them that trip to europe theyve always wanted

lola swag believes in your dreams, go forth!

we all believe in you, good luck and godspeed. if you're ever in LA/Chicago, you've got a friend.

Guys sorry for disappearing for a day I had some stuff to settle. 

Basically emailed a bunch of important guys, tried to come up with some potential business plans to grow a lil money too

Thanks lola and everyone else that graciously donated your money to an asian stranger you didnt know.

Thats kindness ill never forget and hopefully be able to repay in the future! :)

before neg repping me, understand that university fees in singapore DO NOT cost 25k a year. singapore is an infamously expensive place to live, but education costs here are heavily subsidised by the government. 25k would be enough to cover close to 3 years of tuition fees at most local institutions. 

if you know all this and are okay with donating to this dubious as fuck random dude with a half-assed sob story, by all means

before neg repping me, understand that university fees in singapore DO NOT cost 25k a year. singapore is an infamously expensive place to live, but education costs here are heavily subsidised by the government. 25k would be enough to cover close to 3 years of tuition fees at most local institutions.

if you know all this and are okay with donating to this dubious as fuck random dude with a half-assed sob story, by all means

Hi thanks for your post! I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion and you are rightfully due yours. But im afraid you did not consider the fact that I was a polytechnic student and not from a junior college whereby admission into a local uni would have been much easier. Additionally because my GPA was not "top tier", therefore I was not able to qualify into a single local university let alone "scholarships" for the degree that I wanted. Mind you i've had friends getting GPAs of 3.4 and yet still being unable to qualify for any local university and ended up in Kaplan instead.

For those unclear on how our system in singapore works, please take some time to read this

http://thehearttruths.com/2013/11/25/singaporeans-pay-the-most-expensive-university-tuition-fees-in-the-rich-countries/

A private university that offers my degree of interest such as SIM would be my current option,

http://www.unisim.edu.sg/admissions/Undergraduate-Admissions/Documents/Course%20Fee-Programme.pdf

as you can see without government subsidy thats going to set me back S$30,580.60 - S$32,335.40.

I hardly consider myself dubious, I think ive stated very transparently what my situation was and stated it would be nice if people could donate if they wanted to. I dont see what your problem is here.

Also, if any of you have the time, this discussion on the forum would also give you an idea of what many of us are facing

http://forums.sgclub.com/singapore/singapore_uni_hard_355597.html

Edited by LeonardToby

do you not qualify for government subsidy? seeing as you did national service i'm assuming you are a singapore citizen?

from the website above:

The annual tuition fee for a particular programme can be estimated by dividing the programme fee by the number of years that a student may take to complete the programme.
 For example, if a Singapore Citizen student takes 4 years out of the maximum 8-year candidature to complete the Accountancy programme, the estimated annual tuition fee is about $4,802.96

how did you arrive at a figure of $25k for your first year's tuition fees?

Hi! As for whether i qualify at the moment I am unable to say, because they state that applicants must have either 2 years of full-time work experience or are currently employed on a full-time basis

In my profile I stated I was "relieved" from NS and did not complete the 2 years as I was diagnosed with military related anxiety, mental disorders and insomnia of the severe sort. PES F status basically. Therefore, its still sketchy if they would even subsidise me.

The 25k is not a specific amount for my first year, nor did I say it was in any post or comment. It was an amount I threw out hoping to see how far it would possibly go. I just want to raise a small amount of money to get me started :) At any time should this fundraiser exceed my expectations and I have the opportunity to do my degree in a country other than singapore, I would definitely do so. I hope this clears up all of your queries!

as a singapore citizen you qualify for the government subsidy. you being relieved from NS for whatever reason has nothing to do with it. the fees that you are quoting above are exclusive of subsidy, you will be paying significantly less than that.

also, if you're applying to private schools you should be looking at SIM Global Education, not UniSIM. the latter is catered towards working adults who are studying part-time. you could have clarified this for yourself before reaching out to strangers for money.

as for the 25k being for your first year of uni, this is from your donation page:

please make my 21st birthday special by donating to my first year of college. I will continue to work a job while studying in college to pay for my subsequent tuition fees and other living expenses.

sure, like whitney said it doesn't hurt to ask. but you're asking for donations before you even know 1. where you're going to study 2. how much your tuition fees are going to cost. 

Wow thanks for taking the time to write that out hellogoodbye. You seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject of university admissions.

Im not sure if i can speak for everyone whom has donated for me but i believe they arent violently concerned about the specifics of what university im going, which course of study, which country it will be in etc etc. They are kind hearted people who understand that college is college and college fees are expensive and that many kids end up heavy in debt as a result. They know my family and I are stressed out over money problems of sending me through college thus, they have expressed their kind wishes and support by offering me some spare money they had lying around so that I can have an easier less taxing way to fund my way through college, be it books, rent, even a hamburger for a hungry me during a late night study session etc. 

As for the quote you have provided, that is exactly right, it appeals to people to donate to my first year of college, i am going to work to pay for any subsequent tuition fees and also living expenses should this university be an overseas one. At no point did I state "please donate so i may pay off my tuition fees of 25k per annum". I can assure you 25k is but an aspiring goal/target and does not specifically refer to a year of college fees.

I appreciate all the feedback youre giving and it seems like you are Singaporean and also in a position to give me advise. So instead of referring to me as a "dubious as fuck random dude with a half-assed sob storyWhy not send me some mail with advice or something productive to aid me in choosing/financing a local/overseas university instead? Id much prefer that as compared to spend time in this somewhat unnecessary debate because it doesnt seem to profit you, me or anyone else here.

As always, thank you everyone else whom have continued contributing to my college funds be it in the form of money or well wishes on this page! It seems although not many people are as supportive, there are many benevolent people out there and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. :)

i'm not any more knowledgeable about uni admissions than the next person, i'm just not a fucking moron. all the information i told you is EASILY available online.

Why not send me some mail with advice or something productive to aid me in choosing/financing a local/overseas university instead?

you had the time to set up your own little charity online but you didn't know how to google some basic information about how much your school fees are going to cost? as someone who claims to be cash-strapped, wouldn't that be your primary concern? jesus fucking christ. why do you think the only people who donated to your cause are people from sufu who don't know any better?

don't know why the mods are even allowing this thread to stay up. fucking pathetic

Edited by hellogoodbye

Dont understand the negativity youre throwing out here, I dont recall offending you anywhere.

But my little charity online doesnt seem to be cutting you short of anything, neither did I force anyone to donate to me.

Lets just put it as simply as I possibly can so are able to grasp it. Assuming you want to buy a house: you know a house is going to be expensive so you try to get sources of money (a job, donations, family savings) to pay for a house you are going to buy. If you manage to raise an amount beyond your expectations, you can use it to buy a house in a nicer neighbourhood. If you dont, it still goes a long way in helping you buy a house.

So if youre peeved because you think im a scam, please take it somewhere else. I understand opening a gofundme is unusual and unconventional. But if it helps me in any way, im glad i gave it a try. Afterall, thats what the website was made for anyways, for personal fundraising.

Edited by LeonardToby

Lets just put it as simply as I possibly can so are able to grasp it.

bro you are the one who fucked up at school and couldn't get into a proper uni, not me. don't worry about making things simple for me

So if youre peeved because you think im a scam, please take it somewhere else.

that's exactly what I think you are. why would i take it somewhere else? LOL

anyway i'm done here, i just feel really bad for the people who've donated money to you. does gofundme do chargebacks? 

I dont believe they do, nor do I think any of them want one.

Anyways thanks for stopping by, I wish i could say its been a pleasure but it really hasnt. :)