TCB: happy jeans contest

aho

^Wish I was there! Hope to be back in HK soon...we'll see!

I do fear that ed is turning to the "dark side" with all the bespoke fancy suits and shoes lately...Is the Rolex just the tip of the iceberg?  :D

oh bollocks only have to do it cause of the store..

No real update on my end, but I'm back in my hometown for the weekend and a sign of the changing seasons is that the Dairy King (not the Dairy Queen chain, this is a local joint) opened it's doors two weeks ago! Oreo Flurry with extra Oreos...only way to go!

16268133973_682cd69b08_z.jpg

The Italians certainly got it going on! 

This week went by fast, as mentioned I was in my home town visiting and went to the local Flea Market which I actually find a lot more fun than some of the shows out in Chicago. Lots of history in the Detroit area, and things aren't as picked over so you get a real local/yard sale feel. This guy in particular always shows it up with high quality WWII product. I also got to meet Rivet Head and his family very briefly there, but ended up driving to Chicago soon after:

16950202831_74cf9aeebd_z.jpg

16950202681_cc6a5d414f_z.jpg

If only this was my size!

16925205646_d6fcecb79e_z.jpg

16951158905_aa06283f56_z.jpg

Back in Chicago, I got to check out Ramen Takeya on opening day. As with much of the world, Ramen has swept the city the past few years, however I'd venture to say that NONE are true ramen, or have they satisfied my cravings. The list of "not really ramen" is strong in Chicago, with Furious Spoon being the latest disappointment (High Five Ramen, Ramen-San, etc. etc.); however, among my most preferred bowls, 'Wasabi' has always been a standard in acceptability for Chicago. This week, they've opened this new joint (Takeya), who focus on Paitan/Chicken broth ramen, which I've always been leery of as Tonkotsu is my middle name (not really, but I'd consider changing my name to it!  :D ). Anyways, I went to Takeya opening day and it didn't disappoint; The broth was light yet flavorful, great consistency without being too thick or thin, and I ended up drinking the broth all the way without that fatty guilt one feels after a bowl of Tonkotsu:

16763682990_ba57486ae3_z.jpg

Are there better beers than most Japanese beer? Of course! Yet somehow, Japanese beers are consistently the most drinkable to me

16763683010_61cd6fa159_z.jpg

Karaage was incredibly tiny:

16764937539_50322a5e23_z.jpg

Fried brussel sprouts:

16328773584_8b2c1a4ec3_z.jpg

...and the star of the show:

16743794437_cded3805f3_z.jpg

And that's about it lately!

Great updates everyone. As I said before, I don't really take pictures of my day to day. However, when I was at Smith Street Tattoo Parlour back in February, Monster Children was there shooting an artist spotlight on Bert Krak. The TCB's got a little shine in the video. You can watch it here, if you're interested.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-28%20at%2011.37.

Wish I had more fun stuff to share but this is about it right now.

After a tip from Broark I found this crazy beer from Prairie Artisan Ales called Pirate Bomb at the Bastard system. For those unfamiliar with Swedes and our alcohol habits we nearly drank ourselves to death so the government owns the only company allowed to sell alcohol over 3.5 %, hence the nickname my british friend gave it while visiting a few years ago. You might also notice the odd stickers on top of the label. The Bastard system doesn't sell beer that for instance have weapons (in this case) or too vulgar labels. Though it doesn't stop the big Swedish brands which leaves a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended).

Any way, Pirate Bomb was a pretty crazy beer, pulling off a mix of coffee, rum, vanilla and chili flavours.

16783750587_b34f15d388_z.jpg

And two fit pics to show a little denim:

16965161496_bd61cb8bbf_z.jpg

16804914939_75afbf0893_z.jpg

Glad you liked Pirate Bomb!, it's probably my favorite Bomb variant that I've had so far. Just picked up a few of the normal Bombs in the last few weeks. If you can find the Apple Brandy Noir from Prairie as well don't skip out on it!

Awesome video. Was just tattooed by Dan Santoro when I was there this past October. Would love to go back.

Good stuff, Dan's a great tattooer and a cool guy. That whole shop is heavyweights. I know I'm straying off topic a little, but who do you get tattooed by in LA?

great fit Bobbo, as said on IG the fabric starts to drape nicely. all good!

love the beer talk guys. I enjoy an artisanal beer every once in a while, although I still am a big fan of good ole cheap beers as well. when it's summer and it's hot and I am thirsty I want to drink an ice cold beer that tastes of beer, rather than orange zest, chocolate or vanilla! I'd describe myself as a cheap beer connoisseur ahah!

Thanks guys! I'll keep a look out for more beers of theirs.

Bradl, it's split in half and super crispy, haha. I'll post a pic when I get off work.

Coldstorage, I don't blame ya. I'm also stretching my waistband. Don't let it stop you from posting beer pics though. ;)

I'm at the opposite side of things.. when I received my pair I was 93 kilos, now I am 86, I am floating on these jeans but it won't stop me ahah! at the moment I can take off the jeans without unbuttoning...

oh yes! let me think, for instance it's useful if I get back all my weight? that's totally possible, I've done it back and forth a number of times.

funny thing is that it's barely noticeable, seen the loose fit nature of the cut. I just tie in my belt a hole tighter, and voilà!

Good stuff, Dan's a great tattooer and a cool guy. That whole shop is heavyweights. I know I'm straying off topic a little, but who do you get tattooed by in LA?

I've been tattooed by Adam Warmerdam at Darkhorse. It's Bryan Burk's shop and they both worked at Bob Roberts shop for years so they do excellent work.

Let's bump this thread before it goes on page 2!

As of late I've been fiddling around with the cuffs of my pair, I thought to give a try at a mild high water (or should we call it mid water?!?) inseam lenght. Japanese guys seem to rock this style so well on wide fits.

Anyway here's a comparo, before (short folded cuff)

8BA533D8-7771-4E0E-9B5F-2DBE68C4B668_zps

After:

5684CDEB-2B28-4E72-AD5A-2ECDEBDF7B76_zps

Any thoughts? I've ironed the cuffs highwater mode yesterday, I think I'll give it a go for a couple days now.

Here's the fade report at 6months 1 week

55879214-6454-4C85-864C-A2293B309BB6_zps

Bonus, today I've cooked rigatoni with lamb's liver ragu! Not for the faint of heart! Hannibal Lecter would be proud of me!

3C0727F2-C969-4AA3-A9FB-732A132D25C7_zps

At Easter time in Italy everybody eats lamb, it's a big tradition, but nobody wants to buy the liver. It's incredibly good and butchers throw it away for close to nothing! I cook it for hours with onion celery carrots pine nuts olives tomatoes rosemary thyme and lots of white wine. A fine, robust dish that needs to be paired with at least half a bottle of vino!

And then a double espresso ristretto:

0BC79D6F-C0B6-4C38-A02F-3D936C55FBFF_zps

That's the minimum crema thickness allowed in casa Volvo!

Edited by volvo240thebest