TCB: happy jeans contest

aho

Ranon - I was waiting for your HKG update! Great hanging out with you. I only realised afterwards that we had not posed for any fit pics (''Er, would you mind taking a picture of me and my friend? We're wearing the same jeans, you see.'') but like you say: next time. You've got me craving a bowl of Mak's won ton noodles now.

Jason - I need to revisit Ho Lee Fook... went there during their soft opening and the service was just too over-attentive and pushy, so my wife and I didn't stick around for long. Food was good though. See you and Ed soon!

Ranon - I was waiting for your HKG update! Great hanging out with you. I only realised afterwards that we had not posed for any fit pics (''Er, would you mind taking a picture of me and my friend? We're wearing the same jeans, you see.'') but like you say: next time. You've got me craving a bowl of Mak's won ton noodles now.

Jason - I need to revisit Ho Lee Fook... went there during their soft opening and the service was just too over-attentive and pushy, so my wife and I didn't stick around for long. Food was good though. See you and Ed soon!

Simon - probably too eager to please back then. I think it's much better now. Sorry we couldn't meet up this time around! Next time for sure :)

I agree this denim is stubborn...relatively no signs of wear after a month but for the most pronounced roping I've ever had this early in the life of a pair of jeans. What really surprises me is the amount of contraction/expansion that occurs, particularly the inseam. I recall earlier in the thread someone stated TCBs shrank/stretched more than any other pair of jeans they owned, but I had no real appreciation for what that meant until I started washing mine. I don't have any numbers to provide better perspective (I'm not meticulously measuring every pre- and post-wash), but I've washed my pair twice since I got them back from BiG. When dry, the fit is exactly what I want in the waist and inseam, but after a few days of regular wear I'm relying on a belt and cuffs. Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the overall experience with these jeans. I've just never had a pair's fit change so noticeably in such a short period of time.

Haha, I like the phrase ''cartoon jeans''... I'm a fan of The Flat Head denim actually but just not the no-wash, high-contrast style that used to be popular on this board. With more frequent washing, their jeans look brilliant.

Projectp - I know what you mean about the stretch on these jeans. Mine were really quite tight in the waist right after their machine soak but nearly a month and a half later, I'm having to hitch them up because the waist is quite loose. At least I know that I can warm wash them and not have them become unwearable.

Not complaining though - I love wearing my TCB!

I've been in these jeans every day since receiving them except when washing. The fit is fantastic and the fabric is just starting to show some life. For information on shrinkage, I hot washed and tumbled to start in a small machine, hot washed and tumbled again in the same machine when they were dirty to the same fit results. Then, after moving this last weekend and no longer having access to the small machine, I put them in a hot wash and tumble in a full-on laundromat machine.

The final wash shrank the inseam another .75" and probably .5" further in the waist than before. After a couple days' wear, they feel just like before. No need to worry if you've machine washed them warm already, you can shrink them a ton and stretch them right back out.

Lin Heung Kui è“®é¦™å±… 

•  

2-3/F, 46-50 Des Voeux Road West, Sheung Wan 

上環德輔é“西46-50號2-3樓

2156 9328

a few notes.

1. no paper for you to mark, the trolley comes out, you need to go to the trolley and see what they have. If you're slow, all the good stuff might be taken. There's no signs on the trolley to tell you what's in it, literally just go up and open the lids of each stack to see what is in it.
2. better to go for morning dim sum, less people
3. dim sum goes to the 2nd floor first and then to 3rd, better to get seating @ 2nd floor
4. You can have your own tea or share a pot (same price), the key to pouring tea is to be fast so you don't spill shit everywhere
5. all the dim sum are good, but they also have some old style dim sum that you can't find in many places nowadays
6. all their dim sum is made fresh in HK, not those frozen crap delivered from China as you would find in most chains
Edited by ah_long

Im probably to the best to ask as I am not super into dim sum but theres a spot in Alameda called East Ocean Seafood that I have been to a few times and its legit.  I will say I have some Chinese friends that swear the best places are not even in SF/Oakland, but in some random suburb outside of SF or Oakland. 

Edited by garden gnomes in space