Flannels: Not Just for Grunge

Vulcan

I was recently shopping for a new flannel shirt and had the damndest time looking through all the Brand topic pages to see what each brand had to offer. So I thought a dedicated flannel topic could be a good idea. A place to share your fuzzy friends whether they be vintage thrift store gems or high-end Japanese workwear. Bring on your buffalo check, plaid and herringbones! 

Quick shot of my Flat Head western flannels.

aqHFLkf.jpg

The top one is a size 42 I've had the longest, for two years.  The others are all size 40, the second one I bought almost a year ago.  The bottom three are all fall/winter 2013 shirts.  Needless to say, these will all be with me for many years to come. 

Lots of sites still have the blue one (the second from the bottom?) like Rivet And Hide.  The houndstooth shirt was extremely popular, seems like it sold out at most places.

The great thing about these flannels is that they change over time like jeans as you break them in - the green shirt has gotten so soft and awesome-feeling from wearing it for two years, it has a really nice texture and weight to it that's a lot different from a new shirt.  Right now my favorite's the middle one, the dark red/ivory pattern just looks great and goes really nicely with the cream hexagon buttons.  I'm really looking forward to how this shirt feels once it's really broken in.

I have such a hard time finding flannels that don't fit like a sack of potatoes on me, and at the same time still have enough room in the shoulder region. Then there's the problem that so far almost all shirts I've tried on were way too long (hello skirt :unsure:). I guess I'll have to try some FH or IH flannels, from the pictures I've seen the cuts look much better. And the fabrics of course...

Quick shot of my Flat Head western flannels.

aqHFLkf.jpg

The top one is a size 42 I've had the longest, for two years.  The others are all size 40, the second one I bought almost a year ago.  The bottom three are all fall/winter 2013 shirts.  Needless to say, these will all be with me for many years to come. 

The love houndstooth one, one of my favourite shirts. Hope I can find one in my size..

Edit: never owned a FH flannel, so not sure what I would go for in this shirt. Shoulders 17.5 and width ~20.5

Edited by bradl

How do you guys feel about having vintage flannel and wool shirts altered to fit less like a sack of potatoes? Is that sacrilege in the world of vintage goods - disturbing the original design? I've been thinking about getting them shortened and slimmed down a bit. But sometimes it is nice to wear a thick sweater under them.

• 1 month later...

basicmode

13093150143_dcd14c4801_b.jpg

carhartt

vintage woolrich

ub221

minnetonka for kicking around the house

This is why I'm interested in shortening some of my old flannels and stuff, the sides are pretty short, but the front and rear are super long. I would modify how much it swoops if you get me haha to make it more gradual and not as long.

Yeah, the vintage style was to have a long tail so you could tuck it in better. I think that looks good on you man. But I know what you're saying, I like a shorter shirt so I can wear it under a jacket without it hanging out the bottom. I could see altering the length if it really bothered you but I wouldn't mess with the fit, the baggier fit is just that classic style!

Gonna try to post a few of my flannels. Here's a Japanese LVC heavy flannel. Love the cigarette pocket. Many thanks to royalcheese for hooking me up with it! Check out them thick ass threads.

Flannels+and+WAWT+001.JPG

Flannels+and+WAWT+005.JPG

Flannels+and+WAWT+006.JPG

• 6 months later...

bringin this back.. wool isn't really flannel but you get the idea.

My sweet lady bought/found this for me for my birthday. Vintage(?) Pendleton, not sure when it was manufactured, and there is no "Made in _____" anywhere on the tags. So not sure. The small collar and slim silhouette make me think it's either real old, or real new haha but not in between. 

15473172505_8319186c8d_b.jpg

Edited by rockon99