John Bull / Sewing Chop

jubei

Anybody got any info on these (fit, fabric quality, etc.)?

I know somebody ust picked up a pair of SC003's from BiG the other day... I was curious so I checked out some of the models on Earthmarket.

SC003: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/earthmarket/464624/680921/

SC004: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/earthmarket/464624/680922/

SC005: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/earthmarket/464624/680923/

Have to say, the fit looks really spot on and the price point is not too bad at all (I'm still having trouble breaking the 200 dollar barrier). I just wanna learn about the fabric and see how it compares to the other repro brands... Just wish that they had an arcruate or something...

you're missing the SC001 which is more regular straight leg and the SC002 which is a little slimmer...

quality is great. cut is great. price is fantastic.

i'm really impressed with them. they also have some nice slim pants, in black and ivory.

the denim is very good and is a little bit lighter weight than the other repros like samurai. the distressed jeans that i've seen look nice, so i'm sure that the denim ages well.

stitching is nice and unpronounced. great jean for those looking for a modern cut but with higher quality than APC and less expensive than Dior Homme.

Another appealing point is that they're made in the Kojima district of Kurashiki (倉敷)... effectively one of the spiritual homes of Japanese denim --- the main mill of Kurabo was originally located here, and there is a Kurabo museum you can visit. I guess in our American friends' terms it is something like the "Greensboro N.C." of Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

whatsup man, i was actually wondering about that too, so i asked gordon. he says that the sc003 and the sc005 are NOT selvage.

i was looking at them today and they are still very, very dope. at that price, you just can't beat it for the quality of the denim.. and if you don't cuff, well, it doesn't make a difference if it's selvage or not. it's still made by johnbull--one of the oldest jean manufacturers from japan, and the denim is from their factory in kojima district in okayama.

asterix, check out the site, they posted some measurements:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=134&category_id=&manufacturer_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

they are getting more sizes in soon, i think.

*EDIT*

i got a side by side comparison from gordon:

Comparison between Johnbull SC003 one wash (size 28) and PBJ XX-005 one wash (size 28)

SC003 w 29.5 XX-005 w 29

SC003 frt rise 10 XX-005 frt rise 9.5

SC003 bk rise 14 XX-005 bk rise 13

SC003 low hip 23 XX-005 low hip 22

SC003 knee 15 XX-005 14.5

SC003 leg opening 15 XX-005 leg openig 14.5

so, pretty close. remember, these numbers might have a little bit of error. so, i would say that they are pretty similar.

ALSO, the PBJ xx-005's that BiG sells are RAW, not one wash. these measurements are from someone who had a pair of size 28 one wash xx-005's.

I have the 003s and they are one-wash NON-selvage. I typically don't like one-wash jeans...don't really see the point, but I like these a lot. I'm sure there will wear in very well. If I scratch my fingernails on the jeans hard enough I'll still get indigo on them.

SC002 pics from BIG. I saw these last week and I really liked them. Pretty sure these were the ones I was looking at, they sort of look like they could be comprible to New Standards only, nicer, and Japanese, not French.

johnbullselvage4_back.jpg

65de5f6b526953f37a16b78611c8b6d1.jpg

johnbullselvage4_back_det.jpg

johnbullselvage4_front_det.jpg

so this is gonna be the new standard, to replace the new standard. looks really nice.

miz, the BIG site says the 002's are selvage, and that the 003's are not. Are these the same cut just one with and one without?

seems like there are other differences as well... the 003 are one wash versus raw on the 002, also the detailing is slightly different (white patch, assymetric belt loop on the 003's...)

I just saw the SC-008...I want those! Do they sell those ag BiG? As soon as they get the SC-003 in a 27/26 I will get those...damn the are cheap! (Unless they put up some other slimmer/skinny jeans in my size). Man...for $150!

you're in luck, Asterix.

update from gordon:

SC007 and SC008 coming in at the end of the month.

The SC002's are definitely selvage. The selvage is beautiful too. The fit is pretty similar to a new standard, only with a slightly higher rise. The denim is amazing and I can't wait to see how these break in. Pretty sure these are a tad slimmer than the 003. I soaked mine in hot water for an hour and a half and the waist did not shrink as much as I was scared it would (maybe because I wore them wet), but the thighs and legs shrunk up a bit. I'm very pleased with how they fit.