___ METAL SAVED MY LIFE!

hamburglar

Am I the only dude that prefers south of heaven to reign in blood?? It's a real close call, but south of heaven just kills it, everytime. I can only listen to reign in blood so many times!

Wolves in the throne room is really good live. I saw them play in the woods, during a full moon...fuck yes. I climbed a tree to watch their set above the crowd.

how about NSBM? i can probably just name one band, Hate Forest. Does anyone here actually take the music to a certain degree that you believe in paganism, the burning of churches and whatnot, or is it just for the pure reason of listening to it.

I'm in love with Drudkh, who apparently expressed NSBM leanings in early artwork but sort of deny everything now. Irregardless, my policy is always to seperate the music from the message.

edit: someone rep me, I bashed necrophagist/talentless grind on a radio show today!

nsbm isnt bout paganism or church burning or roaming the forest carrying swords and axes. thats just the typical bm scene...movement started by varg vikernes

??

nsbm is mainly all bout that 1488 sieg heil hilter shit...

godless north, frozen shadows, war88 and plenty others i can think of off the topof my head are general examples.

Im not into black metal and death metal (other than opeth) and I can't stand blast beats. I like Thrash, speed and classic metal like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Exodus, Slayer, The Metallica's, Motorhead (LEMMY:) ), Megadeth and others.

This is a cool band

http://www.myspace.com/cauldronmetal

some of you may of heard of the singer/bassist' previous band Goat Horn

Up for a week

Don't need no sleep

Cause I'm a speedfreak

It isn't like there is a surplus of Black Metal shows anywhere so I'd not feel left out you can't see them in New York.

You have to remember there are alot of purely studio//bedroom projects these days that never play and the rest rarely tour. The Uk is lucky to get 1 off shows from the Euro bands.

As for Thrash, I'm a little out of that loop but I do enjoy Lair of the Minotaur's take on Slayer, and a few of my friends really rate Evile and SSS but they are kinda more that Municipal Waste/toxic holocaust crossover scene

hamburglar: do you intend to be putting trash instead of thrash or is it just a reoccuring typo?

hamburglar: do you intend to be putting trash instead of thrash or is it just a reoccuring typo?

actually wrest from lurker of chalice and leviathan once told me that he exclusively listens to trash and he defined trash as black and death metal.

satan blessed sf with some great bm bands. i love all the bands that wrest has been in. theres alot of the bedroom studio stuff but i think that they grasp the idea of blackmetal lifestyle alot more then cradle or behemoth. i like the "blackdeath" bands but i wouldnt put them in the same group as true black metal bands

actually wrest from lurker of chalice and leviathan once told me that he exclusively listens to trash and he defined trash as black and death metal.

that's explained that then.

as for the (w)rest of it, i'm really not up for discussing what is true black metal or not, especially on this board. its done to death and very much fruitless, but i don't agree with the idle grouping of Behemoth and Cradle of filth. the early Behemoth records(Grom and Sventith) were very much ahead of their time and laid foundation for pretty much the entire eastern european black metal scene to build on.

Nile is amazing amazing amazing. I heard the drummer was a PhD in Egyptian studies...!? I don't know how they would get all the album material without some of them being brilliant.

They were my first real concert ten years ago and they still deliver. They were just starting to use crazy sampling and a laptop with an aditional guitarist then, live, and it was WAYYY ahead of the time.

Panzerchrist is great as well, much more Euro.

I've gotten a little out of death metal. I used to be really into technical stuff like Atheist, Death, Necrophagist, but lately it's been black metal that's been catching my ear. Especially french stuff. Those people can create some of the most bizarre, intense, and beautiful black metal. Really loving anything remotely connected with Neige like Alcest, Amesoeurs, Peste Noire.

...Especially french stuff. Those people can create some of the most bizarre, intense, and beautiful black metal. Really loving anything remotely connected with Neige like Alcest, Amesoeurs, Peste Noire.

quoted and rep'd(edit - can't rep sorry) for truth.

Check out Celestia and Mortifera too for more Neige magic.

PEEP THIS:

http://www.amazon.com/Dying-Ground/dp/B000006B82/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202416486&sr=8-2

(a couple snipets--seriously get your hands on this, keep in mind this came out in 1998)

THEN THIS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyvind_Kang

and if this interests you, you may also like another avant-hardcore punk/thrash metal group headed by sax-legend John Zorn with vocals from Yamatsuka Eye (Boredoms)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_City_%28band%29

One frightening (to me) occurence in avant metal as of late is the power Mike Patton (Faith No More) wields over it. I find his additions to the genre are always uninnovative and lame, but he's collaborated with: John Zorn, The Melvins, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Sepultura, Merzbow, Eyvind Kang.

Sorry about the tirade, gentlemen. I hope this is at least (slightly) interesting.

Seriously, Faith No More?

I'm touring with Nile this March. Way stoked. For the greatest metal album of all time, check out "Irradiant" by Scarve. Their new cd, "The Undercurrent", is really fucking good too. I dig the cleaner production on Irradiant though. Gorgeous, tasteful, harmonically complex (and I don't mean dissonant) French death metal, two vocalists (one screams and one sings), technical some of the time and subtle at other times...

I can't get enough of this band.

Also, anyone into Sikth from the UK? Great fucking arrangements and playing even if the vocals aren't really your cup of tea.