___ METAL SAVED MY LIFE!

hamburglar

going to see Behemoth on Sunday and Wolves in the Throne Room the following week.

I'm less interested in the newer records by Behemoth but its been years since I was saw them, think it was supporting Nile on the Black Seeds... tour

Very excited to see Wolves though. They are a good example why US black metal shouldn't have to take the crap it does from the rest of the world.

For me, the best Black Metal is coming out of France and they seem to have most of the bases covered stylistically - you've got Deathspell Omega, Hell Militia, Alcest, Peste Noire and so on plus the raw classics of Vlad tepes and Mutiilation, with eastern Europes output coming a close second.

what happened to the other metal threads.. like black metal saved my life.. or heavy metal saved my life..

Black metal thread is kicking around in the trash somewhere, probably to do with the fact that it ended up completely off topic after 2 pages.

Haven't been any releases or gigs to prompt me to resurrect the tech hardcore thread.

Very excited to see Wolves though. They are a good example why US black metal shouldn't have to take the crap it does from the rest of the world.

You're going to LOVE it. I saw them open for Sunn, they were possibly the best live act I've ever seen.

i missed this, bands like this are why american black metal is a joke to so many people.

bands like ludicra is why american black is a joke. to me abigail williams is a death metal band with keys.

does behemoth still call themselve black metal??

bands like ludicra is why american black is a joke.

Seriously?

Ludicra aren't really my 'thing', but I've got a ton of respect from them, and I'm pretty sure European BM'ers don't think of American black metal any less because of Ludicra, but whatever.

I've always thought they were kinda cheesy but that just me. Don't get me wrong theyr are some great american bm bands but I just don't think ludicra is on that list.

Haha, fair enough.

Was checking out your blog, thanks for posting those youtube links, I've been a Peter Beste fan for a while, hadn't know about those videos. +1

does behemoth still call themselve black metal??

I don't think Behemoth call themselves Black Metal anymore, probably the black death tag so many of us find so convienent.

where as with Abigail Williams, they consider themselves a Black Metal band and seem to have pitched themselves at the "deathcore" crowd, in the uk atleast.

first wave being shit like vemon hella o.g. shit second wave is like immortal darkthrone mayhem shit like that.

the "third wave" would be shit like dimmu borgir and cradle of filth but neither of them are black metal in anyway. some argue that its the derection that bm will naturally go but dimmu has a fucking orc and clean vox in all their songs now. very not black metal.

no correlation to hamburglars question

no i think many of the earlier shit of dimmu, cof and whatever else like emperor&satyricon started off pretty decent but they've all become mainstream and washed out....especially seeing dimmu playing live for norwegian music video awards a few years back. everyone jumping on the BM bandwagon typically get off on that shit

edit: i meant norway's mtv MVAs

darkside, are you going to see wolves in washington?

No, I live in the Uk and they are doing a 1 off London date

edit: nachtmystium were supposed to tour with suicide silence

they are touring here with Genghis tron which is even wierder, I think. Now Nachtmystium are on Century Media, I think they'll play alot of odd bills as they don't really fit in there.

is it just me or does it seem like all the 2nd wave bm bands are "blackdeath" now.

aren't we on like the fourth wave of black metal now? you are right to a degree but it really depends who you are listening to because I'd not say a band like Drudkh, or Negura Bunget or even someone like Xasthur or Leviathan really has any death metal elements but there are bands that do have that typically old school death metal sound in there.

I think alot more death metal bands are including blacker elements for example Arsis or Epoch of Unlight who include alot of riffs you'd expect more on an Immortal record than a regular melo-death release.

don't listen to much BM these days, and most of the bands i know have already been mentioned, but i thought id throw these guys out there..

Lengsel, norwegian christian prog blackmetal (oxymoron? haha). i dig it, they're actually pretty good

http://www.myspace.com/lengsel (check the song revival, the rest are from their new album which is kinda lame)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=drZ9tY6hbGw (also from their first album, jazzy BM with some clean vox?)