laptop bag/case

cmdq

anyone know of a nicely designed laptop case i can look into purchasing?? ive been trying to look for a head porter one,but i dont have access to much of that stuff..somebody holler @ me..My "persephone"(15"powerbook-thats her name) needs a nice cozy place to sleep in,and shes a picky lady ,she is..

say peace

As you might have discovered, most laptop cases are functional but ugly.

When I get a new notebook I get a custom sleeve made from velvet or suede-style cloth. It has a lid/flap that seals with velcro for a nice snug fit. A custom sleeve is inexpensive to have made (DIY if you can run a sewing machine without chomping your fingers). Use the velvet inside out so the soft surface pampers persephone. I place my soft notebook sleeve into whatever case I'm carrying - messenger bag, aircraft carry on, briefcase or whatever.

You could buy a dedicated bag to carry the sleeve in if you want - the bag has the style and the sleeve does the protecting.

If you need somewhere to place your powerpack, cables and other gizmos I use a couple of stylish oversized zip up stationery bags like schoolkids use (from Muji or somewhere). They keep the cable spaghetti out of my face.

As geeky as the above sounds, it lets you have the case of your choice while also pampering your notebook. It sure beats carrying one of those those overstuffed black Targus bags and when people see your velvet sleeve they'll go "oooh where did you get that?!"

As you might have discovered, most laptop cases are functional but ugly.

When I get a new notebook I get a custom sleeve made from velvet or suede-style cloth. It has a lid/flap that seals with velcro for a nice snug fit. A custom sleeve is inexpensive to have made (DIY if you can run a sewing machine without chomping your fingers). Use the velvet inside out so the soft surface pampers persephone. I place my soft notebook sleeve into whatever case I'm carrying - messenger bag, aircraft carry on, briefcase or whatever.

You could buy a dedicated bag to carry the sleeve in if you want - the bag has the style and the sleeve does the protecting.

If you need somewhere to place your powerpack, cables and other gizmos I use a couple of stylish oversized zip up stationery bags like schoolkids use (from Muji or somewhere). They keep the cable spaghetti out of my face.

As geeky as the above sounds, it lets you have the case of your choice while also pampering your notebook. It sure beats carrying one of those those overstuffed black Targus bags and when people see your velvet sleeve they'll go "oooh where did you get that?!"

thanks alot for the great suggestions,i might incorporate the velvet or one of the acme covers and mix up for best protection..thanks yall.somebody should design a super fresh laptop bag though..whos with me?? my pick would be w-taps tags ,porter materials and texture,design by massimo osti.. can i get an Amen??

say peace

just thought i'd drop my centavos bit of say on this as i usually scour the places i visit for groovy laptop bags and backpacks (sometimes have too much equipment to drag around!) - two would be pretty stylish: CRUMPLER and STARCK FOR SAMSONITE, both may be a bit pricey, but they're worth it.

baby, we're all beautiful!

--isla maia

• 2 weeks later...

intelbag.jpg

"The worlds of high fashion and technology meet with the launch of three laptop bag designs by Julien Macdonald for Intel. "The Julien Macdonald laptop bag for Intel was at least partly inspired by seeing fashion industry friends typing furiously into their laptops but hiding their laptop bags in shame under their chairs at fashion events. The bags are designed for the modern woman that relies on technology but would prefer a look that is a little more chic than geek." said Julien Macdonald.

"The designs are created in soft Nappa leather with zips, buttons and details finished in gold. The bags come in three colour-ways designed to suit every season and outfit: modern white, glamorous fuchsia and classic black. The bags are sleek and sexy and double up as a handbag with enough space to carry both your laptop and all your essential items. The bag encapsulates everything that has made the handbag an essential accessory and object of desire for women across the world. Like all classic handbags the bag perfectly combines the aesthetic and the practical."

Bags07.jpg

http://feed.proteinos.com/001700.html

Edited by chad on Feb 14, 2004 at 09:22 PM

• 4 weeks later...

I had a powerbook 15" before it went dead on me and I had to replace it w. a 17" due to shortage of 15". It fit right in my Mandarina Duck work-line shoulder bag; black w. cushioned with a flourescent red rainproof cover hidden inside.

I am actually considering to trade down to a new 15" just so I can start using my bag again.

• 4 weeks later...

how about a good-looking waterproof (or at least, highly water-resistant) bag that can also be converted into a knapsack if need be?

i saw a new porter bag @ tokyu hands which is a knapsack/briefcase which can accomodate a 15" powerbook (though not designed as a laptop bag, i.e. no built-in padding)... but must admit that the rainy season in japan makes me nervous as the rain seems to find its way into zippers.

on a hangtag for another "goincase" product, i saw a photo of a sling bag laptop case which looked decent... unfortunately the shop doesn't stock the item and the "goincase" laptop portion is under construction. apparently the sling bag also comes with a little ipod case too. has anyone seen these anywhere?

in the meantime, where can i get a 15" zero shock sleeve in tokyo? i see the A4 and smaller sizes everywhere, but they're too small for my laptop.

how about a good-looking waterproof (or at least, highly water-resistant) bag that can also be converted into a knapsack if need be?

i saw a new porter bag @ tokyu hands which is a knapsack/briefcase which can accomodate a 15" powerbook (though not designed as a laptop bag, i.e. no built-in padding)... but must admit that the rainy season in japan makes me nervous as the rain seems to find its way into zippers.

on a hangtag for another "goincase" product, i saw a photo of a sling bag laptop case which looked decent... unfortunately the shop doesn't stock the item and the "goincase" laptop portion is under construction. apparently the sling bag also comes with a little ipod case too. has anyone seen these anywhere?

in the meantime, where can i get a 15" zero shock sleeve in tokyo? i see the A4 and smaller sizes everywhere, but they're too small for my laptop.

I know I mentioned this before and this could hardly be news to any self respecting supertalker -- but if you're looking for a rainproof solution for a laptop, why don't you look into the Work line from Mandarina Duck? It's made of water resistant nylon AND has a rain cover in seemless parachute nylon in bright red that comes out from one of the pockets + padded extra wide compartment especially for apple powerbook users... besides it looks great

www.mandarinaduck.com

i prepared some images to be attached but somehow this forum won't let me attach images in my posts.

thanks for the suggestion... checked out two mandarina duck shops in tokyo. they didn't have the appropriate one in stock and don't take orders either!

have to admit though, the bag that really makes my mouth water every time i see it is the grey leather one with the yellow handle... saw it at the airport in seoul last month and they have it in the roppongi hills shop now but it's entirely the wrong format for what i need. drat!

btw, if anyone else is looking for a zeroshock sleeve in A4-L size, they carry them at "mj soft" in jiyugaoka.

Edited by c on Apr 14, 2004 at 09:14 PM

• 1 year later...

i got a brilliant laptop/ruck from Gravis. It's black leather and has worn really well. I got it back in March or april sometime from Sugar Headquarters in New York. There's a cradle in the laptop area where it hugs your laptop even if you drop your bag. I have a 15" and it fits perfectly. The rucksac is large enough to carry almost a weekends worth of clothes (summertime that is) - but i promise you it's not large or bulky - great for traveling and using as my only carry on. Give them a ring and check it out. I think they said this leather version of the rucksack was for Japan only, but i know they had a few. I'm sure you can find it online. I think it's called Black Box from Gravis. good luck on your hunt!

can't remember who makes them, but i saw a picure of a japanese brand doing a woody notebook bag. it's got a (simulated?) woodgrain hardshell. definitely makes a statement!

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

I can't recommend Brenthaven bags highly enough. Clever, simple, good looking design and super durable ballistic nylon construction. I've been using the Titanium 2 backpack one to carry Powerbooks around for about three years. They offer great protection and nobody will guess you have a laptop in there unless they recognize the bag.

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Jun 19, 2005 at 09:43 PM

here it is - i love it:

USD 298

monaccabag.jpg

monaccabag_side.jpg

monacca2.jpg

http://www.arenot.com/english/arenot_00808.html

Quote: Monacca bag is made of Japanese cedar. The designer selected the best material as far as the grain of wood and complete the products beautiful.Because of natural wood that have variety of thickness and hardness in every part, artists cannot use the sewing machine, so they sew carefully each bag by their hands. The designer put canvas on the edge, and leather for the handle. One of the points in design is that you can put POWERBOOK G4 17INCH, the popular laptop among the designers, fitted perfectly in it.This is environment friendly, the skill of Japanese artists and design make it possible to provide great cost performance and work.This is very unique with comfortable aroma of a Japanese cedar. Also, it can be the only one bag in the world based on the individual texture of each wood.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Edited by Music for the Masses on Jun 20, 2005 at 06:41 AM

i find DJ bags with an ample amount of padding and security will do the job for transportating your notebook. the maharishi dj bag and last season's burton dj bag are my choices... the burton one especially because you can't go wrong with the price.

"i know you and you know me... it's the sob story, the sob story"