This is everything wrong with American Fashion Today

homi29

Preach. I felt the same way. Kickstarter is a joke much akin to how gilt was when it launched. People will buy shit just for the sake of buying it. Think of kick starter as flash sales. Oh no! If I miss out on this shitty hoodie I won't be able to buy it for the reasonable price it is right now. 90?Well, every stitch tells a story sooo.....

It's a hoodie... An $89 hoodie. Not exactly out of the norm on sufu. Just glancing at the product it's...

• Made in the USA (if that matters to you).
  • Construction actually seems pretty solid if the pictures are to be believed.
  • 10 years of free repairs... Although this would be kinda moot if they charged shipping since mending a hole wouldn't be worth the shipping cost.
  • How much are shitty AA hoodies that people buy year after year?

Not really seeing what is so bad and looks like a basic well-made hoodie at a price that is far from obscene.

tl;dr it's a hoodie for $89.

There's a sucker born every minute

In the video on the kickstarter page, he mentions buying a 50 dollar tee shirt that disintegrates after a few months. Where the fuck is he buying his tees? This dude makes me legit mad. I want to wrap my pristine 14 year old bape tee around his neck tighter and tighter until he promises not to release this garbage hoodie (which totally looks like a snuggie turned into a sweatshirt).

this guy actually has the epic hustle going.

+ - $115 average "donation" (highly doubtful everyone donated the amt to get a "free" hoodie", but lets assume so)

each hoodie costs $25 to make = $90 profit (at about 7,000 people in)...which leaves around a $650,000 profit. Claim that shit as a "marketing expense" and dip out.

BOOM.

Isn't that pretty much every single clothing brand out there though? Everything is being sold well above the actual production cost unless I'm missing something. Sounds pretty much like what Everlane is saying/doing by "cutting out the middle man".

nah, what I'm saying is he's championing that he's "cutting out the middle man and delivering better value" because you can buy DIRECT from this simp, but he's really just absorbing the wholesale profit margin AND the retail profit margin by calling out a completely absurd comparative price. I'm telling you 100% for sure, with no reservations that exactly what he is producing can be made for $25 MAX without cutting any corners, paying fair wages, all the bullshit bells and whistles he claims, etc. It's just a hustle, and people too stupid to understand margin or the value added proposition will fall for it because you're getting sold on some illusion of "value" and that you're doing a service by supporting this revolution...one lame ass blue hoodie at a time.

I think the real problem is that people are going to give you the weirdest look when you proudly proclaim that you've had this hoodie for the past decade. I'd be like, "dude, I stopped wearing hoodies after middle school — you're 30 years old."

That said, it could be useful if you're planning a career in IT. Just throw on some flip flops, and cargo shorts, and you're set.

Edited by Champion champs

I think the difference between the Outlier Merino Hoodie and this hoodie would be immediately noticeable. Living in the Pacific Northwest I learned at a young age that cotton is awful for staying warm in wet climates. If you live in North Cali upwards I find that merino wool is going to be a better choice for daily comfort than cotton.

I think what fucks people up is the elitism

people disregard what they like most, what makes them feel most comfortable to appeal to the 'universal standard' of good style

we need more democratization, less advertisement, etc.

plus, the fashion industry is extremely unsustainable; the fact we have new styles of clothes coming out every second using up natural resources can't be good for the environment-- you certainly can't be making the BEST quality goods at a mass scale. And to be honest, I think the only reason the system persists is because we're used to it, not because we want it. I think everyone wants quality clothing that makes them look good

looks like we got a mad outlier fan in the house. also, i like where this thread is going

mqk6fdd.png?1

Not really, but I think that Outlier is little bit more innovative than these geniuses with one cotton hoodie .

The only way this show would be watchable is if they took all the actors/fahionistas/bloggers/whatever and groomed and trained them, then armed them and put them on an island to slaughter eachother until only one remained.

Would watch.