WW2 repro / detailed jeans

Flash

I tried on a pair of LVC 1944 501 this weekend, amongst some other pairs. Simply one of the best cuts I have ever put on. Perfect straight legs, high waisted with decent rise and yet still a well shaped seat.

Why didn't I buy them? For one, the size - 33/36. I wasn't confident in the inseam shrinkage, and actually the waist fitted more or less how I would like it to after soak - perhaps this year (unknown) were size true to tag. For two - denim weight. From what I gather, 12oz, and I must say how noticeably thinner that felt.

Still, really, really good jeans though. I wonder how close a repro the LVC '44 is to the original from the period.

Did you happen to look at the button code? that would give us a clue as to when they were made. I have some old 643 '44s tagged 38 (1" over size), and some new 337s tagged 36 (3" over size). They're the exact same pattern. The latter are a 36 inseam, and they've been in water twice so most of the shrinkage is out. Will measure them this evening to let you know where they are at inseam and waist wise. I have a pair of new size 38 '47s, and they are very close to the 36 '44s. Little more tapered in the lower leg, slightly narrower in the waist, and a little less rise.

Really sorry , no stupidly I didn't. TTought of it later on afterward, no chance of going back to double check either as they were in a shop some 250 miles away from where I live. Foolish of me.

What I can tell you, although without the code from the button; I tried Full Count models 0105 and 1101 at the same time also in a size 33. Held up against each other by either edge of the waistband, the FC's were an inch wider. The FC, which from size 33 have the longer inseam, were an inch longer too. As I say, not much use without being able to benchmark the '44s, sorry. :(

If it's any help, here's some measurements on a pair of size 34x36 S501s....

http://denimhunters.com/az/lvcwt/intromikkelhp#more-12927

From what I gather, 12oz, and I must say how noticeably thinner that felt.

I thought 44s were 10oz? I'm not sure where to find the button code (I'm assuming on the button), but if it's on the button then I don't have one? Is that normal? I got mines in Japan in 08. Pics if y'all want it. I posted some in the Levi's 501 thread a little while back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

in my lvc 44s the front pocket lining pops out of the pockets if you know what I mean

I think it's a typical ww2 model detail isn't it?

I believe this a detail LVC might have encountered on a couple pairs of WWII 501s and decided to incorporate it into their reproduction. If you look at the WWII 501s currently on marvins-jp.com though, none of them display this detail, and I wish LVC didn't choose to make their pockets that way.