Superfuture Running Club

jackg

I'll run my first 30k trail with a 2000 meters elevation gain in a few weeks. Quite worried about all that gain since I am not used to it. I usually have about 500 d+ in my 20-25 km runs. I think I'll keep my pace slower than usual and try to have some fun.

I think I'll better carry a pair of hiking poles with me, does someone use them?

Depends on the course itself. All the running I typically do is at pretty steep grades simply out of necessity living out here and I've never used poles in my life. Seems like it would feel awkward trying to plant them while also keeping track of where you're planting your feet. My advice would be to slow down a little more than typical and if the course is going to be rocky just practice planting your feet on more unstable ground than you're used to. Also, implementing cordycep mushrooms into your diet may be beneficial if you're going to be running at altitude. Good for your lungs!

I used a pair of hiking poles this morning for my 20k run. They were really useful during the ascent but you don't really know what to do with them in the flat parts or downhill. that does feel awkward actually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what's the sunglass of choice? 

looked at nike. didn't like them. thinking about oakley radarlock with positive red iridium lens

come out. a lot of the oversea runnin crews are flying in. should be a good time.

anyone doing the bridgerunner 10th stuff this coming week?  might do the wednesday and or the harold hunter run on saturday..

• 1 month later...

Bump this up to the top!  I've been training pretty moderately - about 40-50 miles per week - since my March marathon, but have finally started to get serious again, just in time to build up for a fall marathon.  I ran 2:42:07 last time in really bad weather, so the goal for fall will be sub-2:35 (course is also a couple minutes faster).  Just for fun, I recently ran a high altitude (starting at ~8000') but quite downhill half marathon (~4% average grade).  Fortunately, there wasn't any real competition, so I didn't have to push all out and risk injury.  I ended up running a 1:10:40, which was pretty hilarious since I'm definitely not capable of that on a fair course and didn't have to run a full effort to hit it on this course.  Now I just need to get in shape to do that on a fair course, rather than the 1:15 I recently ran before that.  Hopefully everyone is getting in some good runs despite the summer heat.

Edited by cander49

fuck summer. wish i lived in england or somewhere else that barely gets hot weather. my last half marathon was really tough with a ton of climbing and i've struggled to get back into a rhythm after it. could barely run 3 miles before my achilles tendinosis started to flare up again, plus i've been playing football/soccer in a league with some friends and picking up little knocks and strains here and there which have really kept me from running and staying in shape. did 3 miles a couple days ago but the heat is so fucking stupid in california right now and my lungs feel half the size they used to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So it'd be great to see this thread alive again. 

I picked up with my running three months ago in preparation for the Adelaide City to Bay. Looking to finish in around 1:10, but I'm not too fussed about the result - It's just good to have some consistency with my running again. On to bigger and better things. 

Rob/Adelaide sufu, are you running it again this year?

• 2 weeks later...