Norman Porter

lil brown brother

• 4 weeks later...

i was also introduced to this brand by a friend. while i have yet to own anything by them, i am only waiting for the right time to jump in - their grey looks pretty on their site. I'm hoping they'll do some duck stuff in the future - that'd be very interesting!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread, but yes I do. Just picked up a pair of NP02. I've been wearing a pair of NP01 from Norman Porter since october, and wanted something with a wider hem to go with more formal shoes, so the NP02 fit the bill. What sort of feedback are you looking for? The cut is pretty classic. It's a highish rise and slightly roomier in the leg than most modern cuts, without being 'relaxed'. The NP01 fits the modern, lower rise, slight taper cut, so the NP02 is a slight variation from the norm. The quality is excellent. Stitching is neat, tidy, no stray threads, and where double stiching is necessary for strength, you have to look hard to pick it out, because the second stiching run, is perfectly in register with the first run (if that makes sense).

For me, Norman Porter jeans represent a significant investment, so the fact that I just bought a second pair surprised even me! Looking at the details, you wouldn't say that there is much to differentiate NP from pretty much any other small 'boutique' brand out there, but the thing that appealed to me about norman porter is their no BS approach. The cuts are nice, simple, classic. There are few gimmicks or features. They keep the selvedge where it belongs, (although you'll find selvedge elsewhere if you want to look for it but it's not on show). They are efficient, polite and pleasant to deal with. Most importantly to me though, when I placed my order, it was nice to know that the guy I was talking to was the guy that had made my jeans.

I like these, going about their business in a modest way, and with a pretty good website and 'praise be!' actual measurement charts with guide. Seems an almost neglected concept in the days of micro brands, marketing buzzwords and internet shopping. 

Norman Porter remind a little of Noble denim - though if I had one criticism it's that I wish they would use a five button fly (4+1) on their jeans as they do on their duck pants. I've also never liked double rear centre belt loops, 3sixteen do this and I can't stand it!

The NP02 has the extra fly button you're looking for. But also has the double rear belt loops you don't like... I like 'em though :-) They seem to spread the stress put on my belt at that point and stop the leather deforming as much the way it does on a single loop.

met up with these guys once at their workshop in philly. super down to earth dudes who are hustling multiple jobs and projects to keep norman porter going. they really should get more attention than they do. 

i am hoping someone picks up a pair of Norman Porters for the DWC.

What is the DWC? I have not worn the NP02 yet, and won't until March unless there's a reason to. Would the DWC be that reason? Edited by holio cornolio

What is the DWC? I have not worn the NP02 yet, and won't until March unless there's a reason to. Would the DWC be that reason?

DWC = denim world championship

http://denimworldchampionship.com/

if you wear them half-time throughout March and April, so this way you won't exceed the 30 amnesty wears before the start date in May, you can participate in the contest!  represent norman porter!

They're a 30" waist. Got to get them hemmed before I can wear them in anger though. I will represent for Norman Porter in the DWC, it seems only right and proper! I can wait until May to wear them. I have the NP01 to keep me company until then...

I will check measurements tonight.

They will hem them for nowt. They actually hemmed mine for me at 33", but I really need another inch taking out of the length, which was annoying, but entirely my fault. On the plus side, it now means that I haven't worn them, so I now know to save them for the DWC.

Sorry about this. Trying to work out how to post a pic. Any guidance? Meanwhile, the waist measurement I'm getting for my size 30" is actually 32. That said, they are nicely snug in the hips and thighs. Wanted to post some little detail pics. Also, to the OP, these are white oak, cone mills selvedge.

Hopefully, here you go.

16191006196_99aa706cb6_z.jpg

16215011271_37f5d968ee_z.jpg

15594485644_fe24e4edf0_z.jpg

very even, and very smooth looking denim - very classy (I know some people like more slub).  i like the subtle "N" at the end of the stitching at the hip.  very clean.  it's funny - even though they are technically from my hometown, i still haven't seen anyone sporting a pair.  I wonder if there are some guys in NoLibs who are going to do the DWC with some NoPo's (NorPor's?  Normans?  Porters?  Norman Porters?).  ha.

I got my first pair (np01) when I was travelling in the States last year. From old north in asheville. Really a wonderful store (or shop, given you're from Blighty like yours truly) and well worth a pilgrimage if you ever have the good fortune. The np02 I bought direct from NP. I was lucky with customs ;-)

You may be right about measuring, because my np01 are also an inch larger in the waist than the quoted measurement.

I am hoping to get mine hemmed at rivet and hide next week so I'm guessing that the hem will look a little different after that. Not sure if it's vice or virtue, but my attention to details is not as sharp as yours. I'd never have picked that up.

I will post some fit pics eventually. I'm 5'9 (175cm) and 10 stone 8 (148lb / 67kg)) with runners legs so you can have an idea of what the fit is like.

very even, and very smooth looking denim - very classy (I know some people like more slub).  i like the subtle "N" at the end of the stitching at the hip.  very clean.  it's funny - even though they are technically from my hometown, i still haven't seen anyone sporting a pair.  I wonder if there are some guys in NoLibs who are going to do the DWC with some NoPo's (NorPor's?  Normans?  Porters?  Norman Porters?).  ha.

Thanks. I have signed up to the DWC, so will be representing for NoPo :-D

• 2 weeks later...