Saint Laurent Denim

unouomedude

yeah, this almost happened to me exactly.

one of the points of confusion is that diors were labelled on the gray tag "19cm" or "17.5cm", but there's no such labelling on the SLP tags. so it's hard to figure out, until you try them, what model it is.

adding to the confusion, i believe all three cuts will be offered in raw and washed denim.

there's also a lot (lot) more available at the boutiques than online. i don't know why SLP doesn't just update their website (ever).

that said, i don't think the 17.5s have arrived yet. i've seen plenty of 16cm and 19cms of different kinds, but no 17.5s of any kind in any size anywhere.

when you add sales reps that aren't up to speed on all the above, you end up with a situation that i'd bet is confusing a lot of people.

I don't know if anyone from SLP's reading this thread, but they need to get their act together a little. it's getting a little annoying (at least for me) trying to navigate all the above. it's like a company that doesn't want their new designer to succeed.

Edited by neonrider

Hello:

I am new in this Forum. Sorry for my poor english.

I have just picked up a pair of SLP raw jeans in a SLP boutique.

From what I have seen, they are thinner than DH MIJ raw (when I bought them I was wearing my mij raw, and I could compare them; SLP are thinner and the colour is different).

I bought them in 19 cm; 17,5 cm could be interesting but maybe too baggy for me and 16 cm... too skinny.

I think the cut is not the same than DH (KVH era because I don´t have DH from Hedi era) but personally I prefer how SLP fits (the cut are more natural, if you want a slim, skinny fit you can go to your normal size and not to size one or two as I had to do when I bought jakes).

I bought them in the same size than MIJ raw (29) but as I have said the fit more skinny.

It is true; but when Hedi Slimane arrived to DH; Christian Dior wasn´t a denim company, and from the beginning DH was a cut edge in jeans.

So if you are going to sell jeans (a wide range of jeans and in a high price) you should take care about jeans.

The cut and the material are very poor (IMO).

Skinny version (16 cm) is like the typical CHEAP MONDAY jeans (too skinny, as if you wear your girlfriend jeans);17,5 cm is the typical jeans with a low rise and too tight at the lower leg (similar too cool guy jeans on dsquared) and the 19 cm version...wtf you do the other model so tight and this model so wide!!!!

I don´t understand anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

19cm = "straight". available in selvage at a hefty premium.

17.5 = "slim".

16cm = "skinny". these are really (really) skinny.

19cm, 17.5 cm = button fly.

16 cm = zip fly.

the inseam is shorter than diors, but not by a great deal. the ssense fit pics are misleading. stacking haters will not like slp denim.

the fit is generally like diors, but lower, narrower, and slimmer. the denim seems to be thinner but finer. the impression i get is that they're like a streamlined, more severe, cleaner version of what came before. die-hard slimane lovers will probably love them, those who have moved on into anatomical cuts probably won't.

the boutiques seem to be pretty clueless (if very nice) about all the above, the variety of denim seems to be confusing them.

i can post more thoughts later for those that are interested.

So based on what you wrote, Ssense is selling the Selvedge pair in 19cm given the price point and Luisa is selling the 17.5cm?

What do you think?

Wow I must have been away for awhile. DH is almost $500 at Luisavarioma? They really jacked up the price. I may as well get Jakes for a little more.

I'm going to Italy next month, I definitely want to check them out in person. I doubt they're as bad as that poster said.

I agree with Ialex; I get them on 19 cm and they fit horrible; after several weeks wearing them, the fit improve a little but nothing compare with DH.

Hedi Slimane is back but his latest collection in SLP is very very poor; extremely overpriced items and very poor quality.

What do you think about the new priceses on DH?

Polo bee DH two saesons ago 135 euros now 195 euros.

DH Amber nuit cologne 125 ml two years ago 95 euros now 175 euros.

DH raw jeans 3 years ago 250 euros, now 330 euros.

Stupid increase in priceses; luxurious brand are going crazy.

Sorry but I have to say goodbay to DH and SLP (a friend of mine who works in a DH boutique tell me that the cost of dh sneakers is 13 euros).

You guys have to try it to believe it... I still cannot believe I dropped almost 600 for it either. And for the ones that were wondering about the 17.5, the last I checked which was last month, they weren't released yet according to the sales rep manager. But he might be wrong since he seems pretty clueless about the types of fit I was asking about.

• 1 month later...

^ from what i can gather, the model name for 17.5s is D01 and the 16s is D02 [i don't know about the 19s]. i've had a pair of 17.5s for 2 weeks now. i bought the same size as my dior's and the fit is perfect. mine are raws, but the black coated version. 100% cotton, Made in Japan, button fly. the only complaint i have with them is that the black coating is fading to dark blue and i bought the jeans because i needed black.

i can post a fit pic soon if anyone's interested. for what it's worth, they're nowhere near as bad as everyone is saying. denim is definitely thinner than the dior's, but it's a skinnier jean so what do you expect. there's very few options out there when it comes to MIJ raw skinny jeans in 100% cotton, especially with minimal branding.

mine are these

http://www.ysl.com/en_US/shop-products/Men/Ready-To-Wear/Pants-Denim/original-low-waisted-slim-jean-in-black-coated-denim_805172489.html#!{"products":{"315391YUO78":{"size":"30","color":"1000"}}}

they're a raw denim but with what is supposed to be a black coating [but as mentioned they're fading to dark blue]

there's also the regular black raws [brut]

http://www.ysl.com/en_US/shop-products/Men/Ready-To-Wear/Pants-Denim/original-low-waisted-straight-leg-jean-in-black-raw-denim_805172492.html#!{"products":{"315397YUO68":{"size":"32","color":"1000"}}}

the above is the 19cm model, but it's just so you can see the difference between the regular raws and the coated.

unfortunately, it seems hard to know exactly what you're going to get when you buy them online though, as many of the descriptions don't lineup with the picture [it'll say button fly and show a photo of a zip fly for example].

apparently the 17.5 and 19 are all button flys and the 16s are zip. on luisaviaroma though, they say their 17.5 raw has a zip fly and is made in italy. if at all possible, buy in person so you know exactly what you're getting [unless you're not fussed about button/zip MIJ/MII].

• 2 months later...

Just bought a pair of indigo raws. I believe they are 19cm. They say DO3.

I gotta say I love them. I can post a fit pic if anyone's interested. Got the same size as my Dior raws and they fit great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dunno how to post pics through phone.

I have been wearing the SLP raw 19cm jeans for the past week.

I must say I am a bit disappointed. I'm a big Slimane fan and got into diior 2005 have many pairs of DHs through the years. When I heard he was back at formerly known as YSL, I bought a pair.

The cut is very good. It's between a Dior 19cm and APC new standards. I def like the cut.

However, the denim quality is a bit Simon Spurr Los Angeles. Thinner, lighter, and just doesn't have that rock n roll luxury feel that dior has. Disclaimer: I'm very well informed and experienced with the iron hearts and other quality Japanese brands, but I still think Dior's quality hold their own.

The SLP's also seem to fade super fast. Already have a cell phone lining starting on my pocket so if you're into fast fading this is a plus.

All that said for $472 US dollars..there are better options for much less.

Peace in the Middle East

ok, this is probably not the best fit pic since they're cuffed and mostly covered by a long sweat, but hopefully it's helpful for some of you. these are the D01 [17.5cm] Raws, but the black coated version [which is fading to dark blue]. They're 100% cotton, Made in Japan, with a button fly. I've had these for around 4 and a half months. Size 28 [same as I wear in Dior].

2013outfit_zpsfc111611.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just received my first slp denim 17.5 cm  and despite so many negative comments i've read here and there, i must admit that the quality is far better than most (if not all) of the dior jeans from kva era.In terms of fitting : the fit is super slim ,i'm a size 32 in dior  and size 32 in slp is super slim  .Is this the same with MII slp jeans?

I also have concerns that they will stretch out (?) and some advices would be appreciated.They're made in japan,the fabric is so soft  and exactly like a prps selvedge i got 4 years ago which stretched a lot .I know these brands are totally different ,but there are many similarities on the fabric ,except that the slp doesn't have the selvedge finishes.Forgive my stupid question, but can a  jean be selvedge without that  featured finishes on the seams?I'm really confused .

PS. Also the tags show do not wash :huh:

Edited by hurricane08

• 4 months later...

Hello guys. I'm looking to buy a pair of raws. The D01 M/SL-LW model. I'm not too sure about sizing. I wear 27 in Dior (19cm). Does this mean I'd be a 28? Or would I also be a 27? I've handled both SLP and Dior jeans but I haven't touched the raws before. Anybody know the quality vs Dior raws? Any input appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...