Saint Laurent Denim

unouomedude

Now that Hedi Slimane, the father of Dior Homme, is at the helm of Yves Saint Laurent, their new denim line is quite interesting. Heres some pics of their new denim line that can be purchased at YSL's online store.

Black Raw MIJ 17.5cm $695

315391_YUO69_1000_A-ysl-saint-laurent-paris-men-low-waisted-slim-jean-in-black-denim-450x564.jpg

315391_YUO69_1000_B-ysl-saint-laurent-paris-men-low-waisted-slim-jean-in-black-denim-450x564.jpg

Black Raw MIJ 19cm $450

315397_YUO68_1000_A-ysl-saint-laurent-paris-men-low-waisted-straight-leg-jean-in-black-raw-denim-450x564.jpg

315397_YUO68_1000_B-ysl-saint-laurent-paris-men-low-waisted-straight-leg-jean-in-black-raw-denim-450x564.jpg

Indigo Raw MIJ 17.5cm $450

315391_YUO68_4140_A-ysl-saint-laurent-paris-men-low-waisted-slim-jean-in-navy-blue-denim-450x564.jpg

315391_YUO68_4140_B-ysl-saint-laurent-paris-men-low-waisted-slim-jean-in-navy-blue-denim-450x564.jpg

Edited by unouomedude

^ well it would appear so, the site has a section called "Saint Laurent Selvage" and also "Saint Laurent Skinny" :rolleyes:

my guess is the slim 100% cotton will be selvage and the skinny with elastane will not

and btw those measurements in the first post are false, the slim are 17.5cm but the skinny are 16cm (!!!)

one last thing i was at YSL flagship yesterday hoping to cop a pair but they won't be out until January (online is pre-order only)

Edited by min2max

..funny i'm the exact opposite, i find the darts are so played out and tacky, this is a much cleaner design, if you also factor in the denim is selvage as opposed to DH that kind of explains the price increase (of course its overpriced but were talking ysl not apc)

darts are played out if you spend your life on fashion forums, but where else do you see back pocket darts in real life? i see those same plain pockets everyday.

i guess it's all relative to where you live...here in paris the dart pockets were a pretty common sight...in 2006..

with that price mark,

http://blueingreenso...uemart&Itemid=1

craft over label.

I hereby call out the morons that gave this negative rep. If the new SL denim is like Dior denim, the quality will be NOWHERE NEAR something like Oni. I've had 2 pairs of Dior raws. The first pair, two of the belt loops literally just unraveled and came off, and the second pair, I was blowing out a hole in the knee within a couple months in addition to having the outseam (non-selvedge) start to unravel. Paying out the ass for Hedi's raw denim is stupid. If you're into a specific wash, you could have a justification for buying it, because nobody has the exact same washes that he makes, but the raw is unjustifiable. The quality is not very good and sure, the fits are good, but they're not even close to unique anymore. That Oni pair is constructed with far more attention to detail (stuff like copper rivets and thick leather patches actually makes a difference), much higher durability, natural indigo, an extra slubby weave that gives the denim excellent character, etc. The Dior pair is constructed with moderate-at-best quality denim. You're paying for scars when you buy Dior raw. What are you paying for when you buy SL raws? And how about this: instead of, or in addition to neg-repping me, explain your position of negging someone who stated that quality is more important than the brand-name on the tag inside the jeans. Oh, and just FYI, I do wear Dior Homme clothes, just not their raw denim.

Edited by cander49

yea, dior raws were really meant to be more the going out, stylish fit raw denim that you'd wear once a week with a blazer or something, rather than the durable/workwear raw denim you'd wear everyday to get awesome fades (even tho they were known for getting some pretty sick fades). i only liked the black mij raw denim. the indigo denim with the yellow stitching never appealed to me.

Edited by darkknight

paris, texas? werd? well it's 2012 now anyways.

no the other paris lol.. (location is a joke reference to the 1984 movie)

as for the "debate" yes it's utterly silly to even begin to compare dior/hedi denim to japanese repro's & such, doesn't mean there isn't room for both. i'll wear my dior & balmain once or twice a month when i'm in hard swag pimp mode at the club/show/downtown gallery expo. 95% rest of the time i'll be creasing and spilling drinks at the dive bar in my LVC/Jap denim rotation..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time figuring out if these are the same jeans. Ssense does have a tendency of marking up items a lot...

http://www.ssense.com/men/product/saint_laurent/indigo_blue_raw_selvage_jeans/66937

http://www.luisaviaroma.com/index.aspx?#getData.aspx|CallType=Product&prodId=7Q621&des=25Z&cat=&gender=men&group=&vendorColor=NDA2Nw==&season=actual&seasProdID=57I

The difference on Luisa is that they state it's made in Italy vs MIJ....

So that leads me to believe there's raw in MIJ and MII?

Luisa's also say their's are 17.5 but i noticed the 17.5 raws are no longer on the YSL site [they only have 19 or 16]. pretty interested to see the fit on the 17.5, as i'd be very interested in picking up a pair of MIJ ones. i've been wearing dior raw 19cm's for years, but i'm really over the stacking. from what i've seen of the saint laurent ones, they have a shorter inseam.

also confused as to whether the 17.5 will actually be zip or button fly.

Edited by teardrop explodes

19cm = "straight". available in selvage at a hefty premium.

17.5 = "slim".

16cm = "skinny". these are really (really) skinny.

19cm, 17.5 cm = button fly.

16 cm = zip fly.

the inseam is shorter than diors, but not by a great deal. the ssense fit pics are misleading. stacking haters will not like slp denim.

the fit is generally like diors, but lower, narrower, and slimmer. the denim seems to be thinner but finer. the impression i get is that they're like a streamlined, more severe, cleaner version of what came before. die-hard slimane lovers will probably love them, those who have moved on into anatomical cuts probably won't.

the boutiques seem to be pretty clueless (if very nice) about all the above, the variety of denim seems to be confusing them.

i can post more thoughts later for those that are interested.

Edited by neonrider

^ Thanks a lot man. Would definitely be interested in finding out more.

From what you can gather, is the sizing the same as Dior's, ie. if I wear a 28 in Dior's would I still be a 28 in SLP? Unfortunately, I may not get the chance to try them on beforehand, as I don't know who in Australia will be stocking them. It also seems that the YSL website won't ship to Aus, and luisa doesn't seem to have the 17.5 MIJ black raws

19cm = "straight". available in selvage at a hefty premium.

17.5 = "slim".

16cm = "skinny". these are really (really) skinny.

19cm, 17.5 cm = button fly.

16 cm = zip fly.

the inseam is shorter than diors, but not by a great deal. the ssense fit pics are misleading. stacking haters will not like slp denim.

the fit is generally like diors, but lower, narrower, and slimmer. the denim seems to be thinner but finer. the impression i get is that they're like a streamlined, more severe, cleaner version of what came before. die-hard slimane lovers will probably love them, those who have moved on into anatomical cuts probably won't.

the boutiques seem to be pretty clueless (if very nice) about all the above, the variety of denim seems to be confusing them.

i can post more thoughts later for those that are interested.

thanks a lot man, these sales reps are absolutely clueless... i bought a pair of the selvedge thinking they were supposed to be slim(17.5) but these are straight fit. Anyhow I am still waiting on them to get more slims(17.5), apparently they are sold out just about everywhere and the moment any 17.5 seems to come in they all just fly off the shelves