Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Mich - you might want to share some pics before sending them off?! ;)

You bet Rafa, when i have a moment in daylight during these dark winter days i will shoot some pics.

Thanks for the tip on Luxa Schoenservice Crat.

SLAB, thanks for the info, it was to be expected the Shoehealer won't stock Vibram soles.

English and American shoemaking seems to be pretty different, guess it all comes down to heritage.

One isn't better than the other, just very different.

I have to push getting them resoled down the line anyway, tomorrow i thought i'd check what Cat's Paws heels i had lying around would fit best, but i discovered the sizing on the Canedian CP heels runs way small.

The biggest i have, size 10-11 are nowhere near big enough to fit my size 9.5 White's, in fact i checked some other boots of mine and they are just too small for all of them, except for the RW 2268 which have small heels.

My Iron Rangers...a little more than two years with these boots. They are the first pair of nice leather shoes I've bought, and still going strong. They now have more competition as far as getting worn goes, but they're very comfortable, and going to be with me for many more years....

AEE39639-22F6-44B6-AD23-8DD1EDA08668-6357-000007BF9F3046A3.jpg

When i moved into my workshop 12 years ago these Levis work boots were on this step, Already looking worse for wear I left them here to decay.

There is no great age (or quality) to them i would say 90,s This is what 20 years of neglect looks like.

8478844781_55abb24408_b.jpg

Throw some Obenaufs and polish them shits up real good. You could give this thread some good competition.

to me it seems those soles can still take a beating for another while. Love the heel shape btw

Looking at the pics i would agree with you, but they are pretty thin at the sides and i don't want to ruin the leather sole, and when i walk i can hear the nails on the heels scratching the sidewalk with every step.

They've also become slippery, i slipped this winter on some icy snow, leaving the nice 'scar' on the right ankle, so far for the slogan Cat's Paws, Won't slip, guess that only goes if the text is still readable ;)

Edited by Mich

Looking at the pics i would agree with you, but they are pretty thin at the sides and i don't want to ruin the leather sole, and when i walk i can hear the nails on the heels scratching the sidewalk with every step.

They've also become slippery, i slipped this winter on some icy snow, leaving the nice 'scar' on the right ankle, so far for the slogan Cat's Paws, Won't slip, guess that only goes if the text is still readable ;)

get some proper Vibrams on those bad boys. I take it these are the ones you are considering resoling, pending customs charges?

My Iron Rangers...a little more than two years with these boots. They are the first pair of nice leather shoes I've bought, and still going strong. They now have more competition as far as getting worn goes, but they're very comfortable, and going to be with me for many more years....

AEE39639-22F6-44B6-AD23-8DD1EDA08668-6357-000007BF9F3046A3.jpg

these look amazing mate, how do you find the soles? do you have a picture of them so we can see the wear on them?

cheers

get some proper Vibrams on those bad boys. I take it these are the ones you are considering resoling, pending customs charges?

Yeah these are the the ones, thinking of going with Vibram 705 half soles and CP heels.

My Engineers

dscf3819o.jpg

dscf3812z.jpg

L- R

Chippewas 27899 - resoled by Rifare Osaka

Mister Freedom Road Champs - resoled by Brass Tokyo

Wesco Boss - recent purchase

My trusty Redwing 2974 that has been with me for 4 years protecting my feet during wet and Muddy conditions

these look amazing mate, how do you find the soles? do you have a picture of them so we can see the wear on them?

cheers

I've found the back of them not to wear as quickly as the block heels on my Alden 403. I have worn the RWs way more, but they are much less worn down in that area. I'll snap some pics in the next day or so to show the difference.

My Engineers

Chippewas 27899 - resoled by Rifare Osaka

Mister Freedom Road Champs - resoled by Brass Tokyo

Wesco Boss - recent purchase

My trusty Redwing 2974 that has been with me for 4 years protecting my feet during wet and Muddy conditions

I know i will not be alone in thinking that all these boots deserve an individual post, Especially the Road Champs and Chippewas they look beautiful. Love to see some good quality images Atom.

Nice, I love my 8114s. Had em for about 8 months now, lots of wear. Recently hit a turning point in wearing them in, they're noticeably softer as well as more comfortable than ever. I thought they were pretty much there until the start of last semester, they kicked the shit out of my feet for a couple weeks. Ever since then they're been really comfortable and just continue to get even more comfortable with wear.

It seems they're just so solid to start with that by comparison they seem more broken in than they are as all the materials are extremely rugged and take longer to wear in, which turns out to be a lot longer than you'd expect. That's how it was for me at least.

cheers

The cork soles are so dense it's unreal. These 6 inch boots weigh probably near double that of my 8 inch 953s with supersoles.

Makes it feel like your about to put your foot into a fortress when you grab them to put them on. Mine have become quite malleable and show very little wear for wearing them 4+ times a week walking a few miles everyday. Some complain about the grip but they've always shown great traction to me. Cork soles were the standard for quite a while.

I'll post some pictures of my soles sometime soon, it's pretty unbelievable how little wear is shown for 8 months heavy wear, really shows the life you can expect from these.

Anyone ever heard of Mansway Boots, apparently based in Japan? They have some really nice looking boots, on their Facebook page and their own webpage. Some are White's, but others seem to be their own Mansway brand; but all are said to be made in the USA. Some nice looking make ups...

http://www.facebook.com/manswayboot

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...