Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I want to create a beat up look coz I'm not a 'dressy' kind of guy, but I still want to keep the leather in good condition... what's a good way to go about that?

please don't try to 'create' the look as it'll look as false as jeans where the creases have been 'pinched' in to create fades!

the only way to beat up denim and leather naturally is to move around whilst wearing it - the more you move, the more it'll wear.

i'll concede that polish is optional, but i doubt that many of the boot-wearers of yesteryear would have agreed as their boots were quite likely the most expensive item of clothing that they'd have bought, and would have been looked after accordingly...

treat them nice and accept that, just like denim, they will only really start to look good (and nicely 'beat up') after a significant amount of wear.

On the topic of White's, here are some Bounty Hunters I ordered:

r0011387.jpg

the distressed smooth leather was a little darker than i expected it to be, but i'm not bothered by it. it does feel like it could use some conditioning as it's rather dry out of the box.

i'm miffed about the eyelet/speedhook configuration. for some reason, mine were made with 5 eyelets and 2 speedhooks instead of the more common 4 eyelets and 3 speedhooks (on a 6" bounty hunter). The fifth eyelet is far less convenient than a speedhook since the laces need to be further undone to take off the boot.

the more i think about it, the more disappointed i am with them...

Edited by PeterParker

please don't try to 'create' the look as it'll look as false as jeans where the creases have been 'pinched' in to create fades!

the only way to beat up denim and leather naturally is to move around whilst wearing it - the more you move, the more it'll wear.

i'll concede that polish is optional, but i doubt that many of the boot-wearers of yesteryear would have agreed as their boots were quite likely the most expensive item of clothing that they'd have bought, and would have been looked after accordingly...

treat them nice and accept that, just like denim, they will only really start to look good (and nicely 'beat up') after a significant amount of wear.

Yeah, maybe 'allow' would be a better word that create... I hear ya!

Thing is though, that like all noobs (and you see this all the time in all the jeans threads), when you don't know how to do something, you want to get knowledge so you at least feel like you can control it.

Other thing is, the particular model I bought, the gentleman travellers, have, as I understand it (and I understand very little) a particular type of leather that has an ability to keep it's shine, which is what I don't want. They are also the only pairs that red wing recommends a different applicant for, so that makes it a little confusing when you don't understand leather.

So, I'm not trying to create something artifical in any way, I just want to wear em hard and treat them in a way that allows them to develop an aged look, not the shiny dressy look that is the result you get if you care for these boots as they were intended. I guess a metaphor would be buying denim noted for it's contrast fading and trying to get a vintage fade from it.

Anyway, thanks for all the input guys!

hi guys

i just want to share my custom boots made by Flutterbyshoes

flutterbyshoesfront.jpg

back-1.jpg?t=1339603204

doublerowstitchdown.jpg

gussetedtounge.jpg

sol.jpg

naturaledgetrimmidsole.jpg

lining.jpg

name-1.jpg

gussetedtounge.jpg

red wine pull up leather(influence: captain america boots :P )

black gusseted tounge + lining (influence:viberg)

lambskin lining

silver eyelet+hook,black toprolled

double row stitchdown(influence:viberg,wesco,whites,lonewolf logger)

vibram 1253 halfsole + custom 1/2 rubber heel(influence:redwing 9011)

natural edge trim midsole

toe guards

i picked up these for $120(include vibram sole)

so,what do you guys think about this boots?are these worth it or not?

Edited by axwell

$120!!!! I wonder how many children work in that sweatshop?

plus the vibram half sole is not stitched on to the boot. meaning they dont have the machinery to properly attached the sole....so its glued more then likely ....................

Edited by TheBlackGoat

plus the vibram half sole is not stitched on to the boot. meaning they dont have the machinery to properly attached the sole....so its glued more then likely ....................

It doesn't really seem like a shortcoming, more like a top-off. When the step wears down he can just grind the sole a bit and slap another halfsole on rather than redoing the welt.

It doesn't really seem like a shortcoming, more like a top-off. When the step wears down he can just grind the sole a bit and slap another halfsole on rather than redoing the welt.However I'm not so much a fan anymore of that distinct workboot shape that Red Wing has capitalized on, the details are neat though. Good buy.Apparently can't edit.

Thank you guys for ur comments about my custom boots :)

Yes,it's true that they still doesn't have a machine stitch for stitching around the vibram sole,they just a brand new(founded in 2010)

but they give me a guarantee for 2 years for this boots construction(doublerow/gyw),and free resole w/their rubber sole for once if the vibram sole can't be used anymore

My wishlist boots are redwing 9011,lonewolf sugarcane logger,viberg service boots,wolverine 1k

So,I request to Flutterbyshoes to build it all in one(just for the detail and construction,not to the material because the price is totally different)with my favorite color,which is redwine,for the upper

Edited by axwell

Got a good mystery for you RW aficionados out there!

What colour is this Gentleman Traveler? Black Cherry or Cigar?

7374102126_6e5100f5c4.jpg

The reason I ask is because I bought the 9016, which is the cigar colour. I also got them cheap (for China). I am suspecting that they are seconds or something because I'm pretty damn sure that the above is not 9016 CIGAR.

Here is a pic from the redwing store, black cherry on the left, cigar on the right. There is no way mine are like the ones on the right, right?

7188868769_1fee3918aa.jpg

Mine do have 9016 on the tongue though... Strange!

Other than that, I am loving these boots! Got a 41.5 where I wear a 43 in sneakers. The fit is spot on. Got a packet of bandages on my feet, but the break in is going pretty well!

Thanks! :)

Edited by gregornz

Stop caring too much about them? Umm... what?

Don't you think that it is odd that they are clearly genuine, labelled 9016 and, as you say, are black cherry?

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...