Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

You're right, my explanation was a generalization where it should have been specific.

On the Vibergs. If I look at two pairs, say their horsehide 2030, and one pair is Stitchdown and the other GYW, the Stitchdown looks handcrafted. I prefer that feeling I get.

I think the GYW of other makers looks great with their products.

I wonder how many others would choose Stitchfown over GYW on Vibergs if that was the only difference.

EDIT - Horsehide 1035, not 2030. I wear the .com HH1035Stitchdown.

Edited by ShootThePier

I wonder how many others would choose Stitchfown over GYW on Vibergs if that was the only difference.

I actual prefer the look of GYW to SD (the SD on my re-built White's is really bulbous). But then again, I also prefer the look of a storm welt to GYW. And, I prefer a 360 Norwegian welt to all of them. One of the reason I like Trickers and some of the other English makers so much. Handwelting definitely has some strong advantages (like no gemming and filler), but there are also some drawbacks that are not immediately apparent (since there is no filler, the cut in the mid-sole that the welt is sewn to pushes through to the insole, which can be felt, and can be very uncomfortable) . 

Boot noob question... just looking for confirmation that these are too small.

DqNGIfo.jpg

c6MSxGE.jpg

They're hard to put on, and even just standing my foot feels very claustrophobic. It also just seems like they straight up look small on my feet. I was surprised since I only sized down one from my US brannock size and it's supposed to be a loose last (2045). Will I have too much room in the toe if I get a half size up?

They are made of cxl correct? CXL will stretch out width wise a bit which may alleviate some of the claustrophobia your toes are experiencing with wear. 

The length to me seems about right, a half size up won't really add too much length but may give you more toe space. How well do you think the boot lines up with your flex point? 

I've sold my vibergs in size 11 since they are a hair too short/too narrow. I have an 11.5 at the post office I'm grabbing tomorrow to hopefully remedy that issue. 

I have two pairs of Viberg in CXL and my experience was that they did not have so much stretch that it made a discernible difference to relative comfort. Viberg use really thick leather that doesn't give like Alden CXL, for example.

I reckon that a half size up would give the extra width and slight wiggle room that you need in the forefoot. Karanimal's point about where the flex point lines up is important too.

http://halfsoles.com/how-boots-should-fit/

There is a a good picture of the flex point of a pair of vibergs in this article. 

If you take the boot in your hand and try to flex it, it should flex at the natural flex point of the boot, its where the steel shank inside the boot ends. It should feel like your foot isn't fighting the boot to take a step and that the boot naturally bends with where your foot wants to 

"You want the flex point to be in the right spot, and you want enough toe room so that your toes don't constantly bang against the boot. There's really no such thing as too much toe room in a boot, if it fits at the flex point and isn't too wide laterally" - Wdahab (styleforum) 

Its hard to say, the length looks like it could be ok.  I hate when my big toe touches right where the boot starts to curve so I prefer a  touch more room for that reason alone.  But the width does look kinda tight, especially since the laces are not snug.  I would not rely on leather stretching for comfort like you can on a pair of jeans.  A boot should feel comfortable from the box, or its sized wrong.  

They look a tad narrow.  Personally I always buy my boots just a bit too big.  I find expecting the leather to stretch usually leaves me just wishing I bought a half size bigger in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Another great pair of boots shown here by Aho! 

Unlike my boy Broak, I'm a sucker for wingtips ;)

Woo-hoo, they're here and they fit really well! Ordered on 5/25 and received on 6/1. Took a little longer due to the holiday.

I ended up going with an 11.5 in the 2045 boondockers and right off the bat I feel confident that I sized right. Went half a size down from brannock (same size as my Alden trubalance/barrie last sizing) and they feel really nice. A little bit of room in the toes but not anything excessive, my feet don't feel as if they are slipping around or anything. The first thing I noticed upon opening the box was the smell, really nice new leather smell.  :D

These definitely feel much more like a real work boot (even though I know they aren't technically) compared to the two pairs of Alden boots that I have. The raw cord sole is pretty stiff to begin with, I can tell they will really take some wear to fully break in. I'll try and take more pictures of them soon but so far I'm very impressed and I'm sure that this probably won't be my last pair of boots from Viberg.

Now I just have to decide on which laces I like better.  :P

Really clean packaging and box:

4GNPBPc.jpg

jdsxnvO.jpg

E66iW1e.jpg

PU9PNlR.jpgu0XYqT7.jpgvYdhkV3.jpgxIemT6Z.jpglbIHsZy.jpg

Edited by Broark

Welcome to the club Broark! I too love that leather smell that wafts out of a new Viberg box, haha. Give the boots hell - I'm looking forward to seeing how you break them in.

I think when autumn rolls around I'll send my own Boondockers back to VB for a resole on the raw cord. Love the look and the OG leather sole gets a bit too slappy sometimes.

Thanks for pushing me over the edge Simon! I can see this developing into a habit, especially since I've slowed down my denim buying habit. But I'll never be one of those 30+ pair guys, can't afford it!  :P

I think you would like the raw cord sole, so far I really like the look of it and after wearing the boots this evening I can already feel it starting to become ever so slightly more flexible.

I'm heading over to LA for a week near the end of june and I normally travel in my Alden shell boots but they needed a new Topy and my cobbler put a heel that, IMO, was too short and ruined the balance of the boot 

So...I ordered some heels and raw corded half sole from Dr. Sole and dropped my boots off along with the supplies to a new cobbler near my office who had some pretty damn good reviews and came highly recommended on Styleforum. 

I'll just have them cemented on the sole, with some brass tacks for added strength. Pics incoming when i pick them up! I have a feeling these will be epic! 

The inspiration for my customization is this....truly amazing 

nVGwU2s.png

Edited by karanimal

http://www.styleforum.net/t/515663/alden-natural-chromexcel-wingtip-boot-with-brass-hardware-10d/0_100

This is a solid deal for a pair of natural cxl alden wing tips, barrie last, size 10D. Seconds, but look great! $300 from mdubs (pretty much owns more aldens than anyone else and is a reputable seller on styleforum) 

Similar to the pair that Aho got but for a great entry level price! 

::cough::

27241800926_504a08ef17_c.jpg

Nice. My wife has been drooling over the leather on my Aldens, so I'm getting her a pair of these on Aberdeen last in Yenni's next order in a few weems. Fortunately, Alden's smalles size of 6 in Aberdeen, the only last she likes for herself, fits her (women's 7.5-8) perfectly. Half size smaller and she'd be out of luck. Haha.

Tankers on the aberdeen last.

True beauts...I'm on Yenni's list for Tanker on Plaza; I just need another pair in Black cordo and I think I'm set lol

That said, I'm also on a list for Grant #8 Wingtips, and would throw down for a Plaza Indy or a calf straight tip/cap toe on Grant at a moment's notice.......

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...