Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Anybody feel like holding the hand of a noob?

I'm about to make my first foray into the world of leather boots. Exciting! Thinking about Red Wing 9016's.

I read everywhere that you should size down on Red Wings, but does that hold true if you measure them based on the cm's of your feet? My feet are 27.5 cm's, so that should be a 42.5 - should I go 42? 41.5? I always wear thin socks and don't plan on adding an insole.

Also, I'm confused about treatment application. Mink oil seems to be a favourite, but should it be used when the boots are brand new, or once they are wearing in? I'm sure both options are used - what are the pro's and cons?

Thanks in advance! :)

i am a us 9,5 / 27,5 cm in all my rw's and just for you i tried to measure my feet. they are about 26,5 so i suggest the 27,5 cm are the inside lenght of the boot, which gives you one cm room in the toebox. so you might be a us 10,5.

don't use mink oil with the featherstone / beckman leather, it will make it greasy and dull ( unless you want that finish ). rw neutral shoecream or any other good quality careproduct for fine shoeleathers will do it.

looking to trade my new pair of Julian made RRL black engineer boots (size 8) for pair of Alden cigar or Ravello cordovan boots size 8 or 8.5 depending on the last

ctb, do you have any veldtschoen boots in size 7.5UK available?

cheers

i am a us 9,5 / 27,5 cm in all my rw's and just for you i tried to measure my feet. they are about 26,5 so i suggest the 27,5 cm are the inside lenght of the boot, which gives you one cm room in the toebox. so you might be a us 10,5.

don't use mink oil with the featherstone / beckman leather, it will make it greasy and dull ( unless you want that finish ). rw neutral shoecream or any other good quality careproduct for fine shoeleathers will do it.

Thanks for the reply almostnice!

I was lucky enough to try some pairs on today after I found a store that carries them. The 42 was too big and they didn't have a 41.5. I got my foot into the 41 by totally unlacing, and the length was great - no toe squeezing. But the width was a little tight in the area where my toes join my feet.

For those with Red Wing experience, is it better to get a small as you can manage, or is a reasonably loose fit when new desirable?

Thanks!

for the lenght - your big toe must have a little room and shouldn't touch the front, that indicates that the size is too small. its ok if the width feels a little tight, it will stretch and mould to your foot. if they are comfortable when new you might end up with a pair that is too roomy after breaking them in.

@Smittybat; Do you think that the width should be comfortable from day one and won't stretch at all?

i got one of those too!

i am edmond really.

in the process of adding a crashtestbrummie to my list of favourite sellers. oh do let me know if you happen to chance upon any of your stash in a UK7-ish or any tricker's in a UK7 fitting 5. i am currently in the market for something dressier without burning a hole in my pockets.

Edited by ranonranonarat

in the process of adding a crashtestbrummie to my list of favourite sellers. oh do let me know if you happen to chance upon any of your stash in a UK7-ish or any tricker's in a UK7 fitting 5. i am currently in the market for something dressier without burning a hole in my pockets.

it'd be my pleasure...and speak to me on here if you see anything that you like :)

After (all Saphir products):

Renomat to clean the dirt (no real polish to remove).

Renovateur cream to add some condition.

Dubbin on the creases and a VERY light smear on the vamps and dry areas. Smear on the welt.

2 days to dry - would normally wait 3/4

3 coats of marron fonce (dark brown) cream

1 coat neutral cream

1 smear black cream to finish the sole edges

Clear polish x 2 coats on the heel and toe cap (gentle dust over the rest)

Hey presto - another welcome addition to the fold. With Dainite soles, these will do for when it's wet (my espresso Burfords are double leather)

b13c3045_Picture001.jpeg

a8d31c81_Picture002.jpeg

c66f6e66_Picture003.jpeg

Did you have a cobbler fix the heel of the right boot? I have a pair of Bostonian Brogues from 1988 that a girlfriend stepped on the toe and crushed it. My cobbler was able to bring the toe back to a nice shape. Same could be done with your right heel.

Love the Polish routine!!!

No fixing...

Just some shoe trees for now and use of a shoe horn should coax it back to normal? If not, I'll save it until a resole unless it gets bad. As they are "new" to me they have yet to be worn in anger. If it is a problem I'll have a look, but I reckon the trees will sort it.

As for UK size 7 Trickers, my Stow chestnut are 7.5 / 5 if that is too big? Too tight on my instep as they aren't the 4444 I thought they were when I downsized to buy them!

Edited by Steve7

Thanks for your advice about sizing guys. I pulled the trigger on a piar of 41.5 9016 red wings. I haven't tried them on but the 41's are to small and the 42's are too loose, so go figure.

I want to create a beat up look coz I'm not a 'dressy' kind of guy, but I still want to keep the leather in good condition... what's a good way to go about that?

Is it usually a good idea to apply shoecream right out of the box? How often should it be applied?

Cheers!

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...