Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

^He was recommended to me, but I'll try Lipper Schusterbub this time. I also contacted Ger Wijsman before, but he didn't reply and the last blog updates are a few months old. I'll let you know how it went.

I'll also have the Whites resoled sooner or later and my Red Wings need some care too. Strange when you have to spend the price of a new pair of Red Wings to get three pairs back on track.

Update : Viberg Loden Green Service Boots :: On the 2005 last :: @round 2.5yrs

Fresh new heels__ its 1st ... back on rotation, w/ the Maltons+Grasmere = @Commando soles, for the NYC daily [winter] grindðŸ‘ðŸ¼

16D7BB1A-DE9F-434A-BDA3-C562BE3EB0FA.jpg

471FE88A-B01D-498C-8357-7659937CE358.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

I've had these brown chukkas for three years. From some brand called Wholesome London that I think existed for about five minutes, but the shoes are ridiculously comfortable and good-lookin'. The wedge sole was wearing down and peeling off, so I took them to Willie's Shoe Service in LA. Raúl informed me that though the shoes looked to be welted, it was actually just for show -- the welting stitching was just a decoration around an upper that was glued to the sole. I was miffed. He assured me he could rectify this in the re-sole. I just got the shoes back and they are fucking incredible. Vibram Gloxy Cut soles with new leather midsole, fully religned with hidden eyelets. Fuck yes.

New

15_DjritvfCOF2xJND_medium.jpg?1409591625

Before

LwLECZ9.jpg

After

NS2RT4Q.jpg

Before

eEglvv4.jpg

After

ZLvgzg4.jpg

Another after shot, from Raúl

bjRl1v2.jpg

And, the best part -- now I won't get confused anymore!

Lqf4cHG.jpg

Guys with Astorflex boots: how's the support?

I wore Clarks a few years back and I remember them being a bit uncomfortable by the end of the day.

Been looking at Astorflex because they look pretty nice and not very expensive either.

Thank you! The construction and the oil tan leather are just great. I've never had boots that required so little maintenance. I just hope the cobbler does a good job - it's hard to get a decent one herein germany and I don't want to send them to Brian (customs...)

not quite true. i have had quite good experiences with cobblers in germany, i can post links if needed. see also my shoe posts.

Here's my Broken Homme Michael Oxfords

I had earlier wanted the Whites Hathorn Oxford in black leather, but didn't really want to deal with the wait or rakuten at the moment and wanted leather that holds up to wear and tear. This sufficed and held up well, going a little over 1 year right now. Made in USA with nubuck black leather. Sole is stitched welted on, not glued on. It was pointed out on reddit that Broken Homme models are Weinbrenners(Thorogood)and popular with the motorcycle crowd

image_zpsayi0i2zh.jpg

image_zpsh237mvis.jpg

Unfortunatelty, these oxfords have a vibram 20/40 sole, which does not last long as you can see in the pics

image_zpsf1cg2tcq.jpg

image_zpsdk8hb83i.jpg

Replacing the sole later since these are recraftable

Edited by mlwdp

lofgren.jpg

I wasn't really shooting for high contrast fades on my Lofgrens, but the rather aggressive slam dancers that were in attendance at the show i went to last night are making me re-evaluate my washing regimen! :P

I dunno if I am gonna throw them in the machine, but i might; it probably makes more sense to just soak/scrub them with a brush though. The comment I made in the last post was a tongue-in-cheek in reference to the way people talk about their jeans ;)

Finally received them back - I couldn't be happier. Perfect work, the boots have been oiled and they look like new - for a killer price. Almost feels like stealing...and I got a credit card holder that looks like made of bullhide on top. I'll definitely send my other pairs there too.
DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

I took advantage of End Clothing's free EU shipping offer and pulled the trigger on my first 1970s Chucks. White leather upper, too. They cost roughly 2 1/2 times of what I normally would be willing to pay for Chucks, so let's see if they make up for it in longevity ^^

JJAW7gYl.jpg

So I want to update my opinion (that everyone cares about so deeply, I know) on shell cordovan.  After wearing my shell boots for maybe 8 months I don't think I can go back to regular leather.  The beauty is in the simplicity of care.  I just wipe them off with a horsehair brush every few wears and they look almost brand new.  I have some scuffing here and there which probably requires some reno but they're extremely low maintenance boots.  I get a great shine from the boots without doing *anything* fancy to them even after wearing them daily for months.  The leather is amazing.  I'm sold.  Its going to be hard to impossible to go back to non-shell boots.

I took advantage of End Clothing's free EU shipping offer and pulled the trigger on my first 1970s Chucks. White leather upper, too. They cost roughly 2 1/2 times of what I normally would be willing to pay for Chucks, so let's see if they make up for it in longevity ^^

Looks good Cucoo. 

Can someone elaborate on the difference between 1970's and regular Chuck's? I'm not a sneaker head and I never understood the differences. Is it design details, or are there differences in how they are made/constructed? 

I wish Chuck's were wider. They're so damn narrow I'd have to go up several sizes so they don't squish my feet sideways. I think they are the best looking sneaker. They may be retro, yada yada yada, but some designs just nail it and there's not much point trying to improve upon. Saying that, I do think the Japanese brands that have done knock-offs are improvements, because that's what they do so well. 

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...