Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Insole issue has seemed to fix itself somehow. Working in the rain all day seemed to correct that problem somehow. But starting a new job towards end of month, and going to get a new pair of boots for it. Found out its $425 to get steel toes added to boots, so just going to replace them. Looking at nicks ridgeline style boot, or a packer from viberg or whites. But heavily leaning towards nicks at the moment.

what's the difference in turnaround time with nicks compared to white's? since that seems to be pretty much the only difference between their boots, besides the slightly different way the heel counter overlaps the upper.

speaking about insoles though, my red wings have just a leather insole and the way it's shaped to my foot over time is the reason i can walk around in them 8 hours a day and feel good afterwards, and i've never used a supplemental insole. the way the insole and shank form to your foot is how you get all that support. you just have to give it some time. seems like using an insert would affect the way the insole molds to your foot and even make the process take longer.

love the way the insoles look now

redwing31401.jpg

Edited by Rob060

speaking about insoles though, my red wings have just a leather insole and the way it's shaped to my foot over time is the reason i can walk around in them 8 hours a day and feel good afterwards, and i've never used a supplemental insole.

Looks beautiful indeed. The possibility to form is limited though and it will never form in a shape with decent arch support. Just comparing my Postman and Beckman models: I can't imagine wearing the latter without an insole or padded socks, the insole is just too flat even after a year.

My whites come stock with nothing, just the foot bed, so walking around with nothing isn't an option. I should invest in a leather one like the tacco one.

But turn around for whites is a month right now, and nicks has boots that they have stocked. Sho just waiting to hear back from them I'd they have what I want in stock.

I've somewhat eased back from the days of Nick's vs. White's and came to the conclusion that White's are both more aesthetically pleasing to me (not as chunky), and are durable enough/have enough quality control for how I use them (city pavement stomping). I don't doubt that Nick's make a more durable boot with better QC, but for me, White's serve my intended purpose. 

I've somewhat eased back from the days of Nick's vs. White's and came to the conclusion that White's are both more aesthetically pleasing to me (not as chunky), and are durable enough/have enough quality control for how I use them (city pavement stomping). I don't doubt that Nick's make a more durable boot with better QC, but for me, White's serve my intended purpose.

Unless it's a major flaw I couldn't see it affecting the boot. I have a few wonky stitches on my boot and absolutely nothing has come from it. They're work boots, not fashion boots like vibergs.

But I am going to stay with whites as Nicks turnaround time after mailing in measurements will just take way to long. So I am thinking of going with the packer as it looks to fit similar to my lone wolf farmer. I also feel like there is a lot of room around my toes in my SJ.

Unless it's a major flaw I couldn't see it affecting the boot. I have a few wonky stitches on my boot and absolutely nothing has come from it. They're work boots, not fashion boots like vibergs.

my thoughts exactly. the priorities with work boots are durability, not flawless looks, because they're functional clothing / shoes.

which is ironic in a certain way, because a number of hipsters go crazy over minute details with contemporary releases or "reinterpretations" that are workboots only by looks from a distance, yet these fashion items are supposed to provide authenticity to the wearer ... when in fact all these small flaws would do just that.

then again, many wear this type of boots without ever having had to do physical labor. :D

Edited by cameosis

.... speaking about insoles though, my red wings have just a leather insole and the way it's shaped to my foot over time is the reason i can walk around in them 8 hours a day and feel good afterwards, and i've never used a supplemental insole. the way the insole and shank form to your foot is how you get all that support. you just have to give it some time. seems like using an insert would affect the way the insole molds to your foot and even make the process take longer.

love the way the insoles look now

redwing31401.jpg

True__ to some extent.

But, based on personal experience, sometimes there are issues, either w/ the construction of the shoes/boots or the foot itself [=( not compatible], that necessitate insole usage ... Sometimes, just temporarily, like "training wheels".

Example 1: I have E-EE width w/ prolly between C-D @heel. Viberg has generous heel cup on 110 & even 2005, so I get the dreaded heel slippage. I use "Superfeet" half-insoles to keep heels in place through the break in process. Once the ball of foot makes permanent impression on the footbed__ literally, to get a foothold, the "training" insole goes away.

Example 2: On my Dayton Driver & WL, the footbeds are austere & rigid, that I can Braille-trace the insole surface [hidden sole stitches, nails, & all] when walking :( ... So, I line them w/something leather & flat, like "Tacco" leather insoles or whatever ...

Edited by BrownMetallic

snatched these on ebay today, french army boots from the 1940s. after a resoling, these will be nice.

€ 46 total, including shipping to germany from france.

23308648vm.jpg

23308649oi.jpg

These are really cool.  Does anyone know why the boots have speed hooks up until the final eyelet where it is a normal one?

These are really cool.  Does anyone know why the boots have speed hooks up until the final eyelet where it is a normal one?

If the knot accidentally comes undone, the laces will loosen all the way down and come off the speed hooks. With an eyelet, you can ensure the boots stay (relatively) tight even if the knot comes undone. One way to do it is 'captain's bars,' I've heard them called. Did a quick demo... I don't have speed hooks, but you get the point. From there, you can tie your normal knot. 

IMG_20151009_155505_zpsbgxveovd.jpg

I've started slipping off the soles of my Quoddy's in the past few months.. it wasn't bad at first but has started to become rather painful. Not really sure how it happened. Here's what I'm talking about.

PA110147.jpg

And my Red Wings for comparison:

PA110151.jpg

Will a resole fix this? Is there some way I can line the heel to prevent it from folding in and pushing the sole off to the side? Sorry if this isn't the right place for this sort of question.

The quoddys seem to be a softer shoe. Shoes like your Red Wings have a stronger heel cup (fortification round the heel area to keep the foot in place). Those who pronate need shoes with more support to prevent the foot rolling inwards. As the quoddys don't offer sufficient support that is what is happening now. I doubt a re-sole will fix it. 

pronation.jpg

I was curious about the composition of the 430; thanks for clearing that up. I've bot it on a pair of white's and WWII Impressions rough out boots and I've blown through them. I like the grip the 430 provides but I don't think its an equal trade off for how short lived they are. 

Both are slip resistant__ 700 is more durable cuz it's composite, while 430 is rubber.

Too bad White's don't offer Goodyear Commandos w/c are also composite__ from personal experience, they are even longer-lasting than the 700s cuz the sole grips elevate the bottom sole stitching. My oldest commandos are over 5y/o & not a single broken stitch @bottom. Here's to compare wear:

GoodYear Commando: Composite :: Trickers @5yrs+, Viberg @2yrs+, Viberg NEW
9AAA387B-4C71-406D-9BB5-2AE2D56E3EEF.jpg

Vibram 705: Composite Half-soles :: White's SD__ less than 2yrs effective wear

Cat's Paw on LoneWolf: Rubber__ like on the 430 :: less than a year of effective wear.

Edited by erk

Alden x Jcrew #8 PCT boots

Purchased from ebay, going to be entering them in the DWC soon! 

Had my local cobbler add half soles and toe taps, last night i spent the night refinishing the edges to an antiqued state (tonnes of sanding, burnishing, polishing, and then conditioning) and i think they turned out amazingly 

pP15JDn.jpg

^^

Yeah, unfortunately, the 430 is the weakest link.

IMO, it's counterintuitive__ boot build this tough, one shouldn't be looking for a resole for, at least, 3yrs of normal wear, right!? ... I do understand that there are instances that slip resistant rubber soles are a necessity.

Edited by BrownMetallic

Yeah. When White's does a resole its kind of a big deal. It's expensive and you lose the second row of stitching; which I really like.

^^

Yeah, unfortunately, the 430 is the weakest link.

IMO, it's counterintuitive__ boot build this tough, one shouldn't be looking for a resole for, at least, 3yrs of normal wear, right!? ... I do understand that there are instances that slip resistant rubber soles are a necessity.

• 2 weeks later...

sent my fit sheet in to baker's. they said 4-6 weeks wait. expected longer.

going with this:

White's Bounty Hunter
Leather 1: Natural Chromexcel
Toe Vamp Leather: Natural Chromexcel
Toe Cap Leather: None
Celastic Toe Box: Single
Safety Toe: No Thanks
Heel Counter Leather: Natural Chromexcel
Height: 6"
Upper (Shaft) Leather : Natural Chromexcel
Leather Liner: None
Sole Trim: Standard Trim
Top: Cut
Back Stay Leather: Natural Chromexcel
Pull Loop: Yes
Eyelet Color: Antique
Eyelet Configuration : Eyelet + Hooks
Top Garment: Eyelet
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Lace: Leather
False Tongue: None
Sole: Vib 700
Half Slip: No
Heel Shape: Curve
Heel Height: Standard
Last: Bounty Hunter (Semi Dress Last)
Midsole: Standard
Midsole/Edge Color: Natural

Edited by Rob060

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...