Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Nizzel,

How do you manage to keep the sole edges of your RW chukkas so clean and white? I clean the edges of my moc toe soles with an old toothbrush every now and then but it doesn't really seem to make much difference.

My advice: baby wipes! :biggrin:

Magic eraser works wonders for lots of surfaces. I'm thinking it may work for white sole edges.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071SCSO0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001339ZMW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RRCRRSZECC03WAAH0Y8

Hoggy, pretty sure I have the Bakers made by Whites.  The construction is sound but kind of sloppy.  They are clearly made by the B team. This is particularly evident in the heel stitching and the interior achilles area.   That said, they will survive an apocalypse.  Mine dont have that heel stamp.  I would size them however you size on a brannock personally.  Im a size 10, so I bought size 10.    

Sorry for the late reply HG, just read your post after being prompted by GN's post. I had the Hathorn oxfords but sold them as the wedge sole wore down really fast. Mine had the heel stamp, they were made from CXL and as GN said the upper would have withstood the apocalypse, sticking on mine was on par with any other Whites that I have owned, which is to say that they were built to last but not as clean as Wesco or Viberg, but when you consider the price difference they are great.

Echoing some of Hogg and Garden Gnomes' advice. Definitely get a horsehair brush. When they get dirty just wipe them off with a clean damp rag and then brush them with the horsehair brush after they dry. Let them rest occasionally to dry. Those two steps will make them last quite a long time. 

If you want to do a bit more, treat them with a leather conditioner occasionally (not more than once every six months) unless they get very wet very often, then you should treat them when the leather seems very dry, almost as if it has lost the natural oils found in the leather. Do not over treat them. Too much treatment will only hurt the leather and can help make them rot.

Shoe trees don't hurt, as they will help them maintain shape and dry a bit quicker, but they are not absolutely necessary.

If you want to keep them a bit dressy looking, get some brown shoe polish too. You can clean them and brush them followed by a polish every couple weeks if you like that look.

all oak street are fake welted?

The Star brushes are a good shout actually, I quite fancy trying one of them.

Are they fairly stiff? My brushes are getting on now and have a pretty soft bristle.

- Ray's on the money regarding not over treating them. You don't want to saturate leather. Whatever you choose, apply just enough oil/creme/dubbin whatever your preference to absorb in and NOT leave any greasy surface residue.

Bit like moisturising really. You wouldn't leave the house with a sticky face would you.

- looks like you can also get the brushes from Rancourt

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/shoe-care.html

and Oak St (sorry to bring them up Gnomes!)

http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/accessories

i have a larger sized one and its fairly dense.  Had it for years actually and has not flattened out like toothbrushes do.  The ones I get are made in Brazil.  Pretty sure the Oakstreet brushes are re-branded Star brushes.  

Edit** looks like they dont even rebrand them.  Check out your local cobbler.  Guaranteed they have some

Edited by garden gnomes in space

My alden indy on first-day wear  :blush:

alden.png

since this is my one and only boots, do any of you guys have tips on how to treat and take care alden 405 like spesific boot cream, leather conditioner, etc?

thanks

Definitely invest in Venetian shoe cream and a large horse hair brush.  You can get it all on Amazon for around $30.  The cream is a neutral color so it won't darken the white stitching and will also not darken the leather.  

I found this youtube tutorial helpful:  

I've tried a few leather conditioners, including Venetian Shoe Cream, Bick 4, Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP and Lexol.  My favorite all purpose conditioner is Bick 4 (Obenauf's can be sued as a final step, but only if harsh weather protection is needed).  Venetian Shoe Cream is fine too -- I just prefer the smell of the others and the easy application of Bick 4.

Perhaps of interest to anyone who wants to join a boot contest, and buy a pair of Wesco at a heavily discounted price.

Pre order is now open for BWC x Wesco Foot Patrol boot for a limited time only...

My alden indy on first-day wear  :blush:

alden.png

since this is my one and only boots, do any of you guys have tips on how to treat and take care alden 405 like spesific boot cream, leather conditioner, etc?

thanks

These will need very little treatment of any kind.  It's a pretty tough leather (unlike the 403s).  I would not treat them with anything for quite a long time -- unless of course you are fighting wildfires or logging in them.

When you do treat them (say a year from now), I have found that Pecards darkens leather significantly, Venetian Shoe Creme very little.

more vintage goodness / recent purchases:

french army boots from 1952, new old stock (unissued) -- € 75 including shipping.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...