Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I am aware of McCoys. The construction and materials are probably much better, but I'm not a fan of the toe profile, and considering I'm bitching about $300 Boondockers, I don't think the solution is $1000 Boondockers. You'd make a good automobile salesperson though.[/rquote

Busted.. I'm a salesman once before ..cant throw away that habit :)

I can't comment on how the Viberg Boondockers compare to Whites or Wesco but I sized the same as my Alden Indy (trubalance last) and Trickers Keswick (4444 last) if that helps at all. The 2045 last is quite wide in the toe box and tapers to a relatively narrow midfoot and heel. Very comfortable shape, although the boot took a while to break in for me.

I am aware of McCoys. The construction and materials are probably much better, but I'm not a fan of the toe profile, and considering I'm bitching about $300 Boondockers, I don't think the solution is $1000 Boondockers. You'd make a good automobile salesperson though.

if you prefer the real deal over repros, try the french m-1941 combat boot (modèle 41 brodequins) -- also roughout leather, and great look. most of them date back to the 1940s to 1960s, some have hobnail soles, some rubber commando soles. often, you will find new old stock.

the price range is € 20 - € 70: a steal, in my opinion. search for "brodequins modèle 1941" on google image search and have a look.

this is the pair i bought -- € 50 including shipping from france to germany (they were made in 1955, size is 28 cm / north american 09 / 10, european 42 / 43):

00001_PAIRE-DE-CHAUSSURE-BRODEQUIN-GODIL

00002_PAIRE-DE-CHAUSSURE-BRODEQUIN-GODIL

00003_PAIRE-DE-CHAUSSURE-BRODEQUIN-GODIL

00004_PAIRE-DE-CHAUSSURE-BRODEQUIN-GODIL

Edited by cameosis

These are the army roughouts, I'm pretty happy with them. They're about as nice as I expected for $150 or whatever they were early last year.

I can't see the new boondockers having $200 worth of improvements over these, at least based off the site pictures.

oX0XFT1.jpg

These are the army roughouts, I'm pretty happy with them. They're about as nice as I expected for $150 or whatever they were early last year.

I can't see the new boondockers having $200 worth of improvements over these, at least based off the site pictures.

oX0XFT1.jpg

Nice! My kind of footwear: simple, slick, functional.  Some details please: I'm more into comfort so I'd like to ask about weight, interior cushioning details etc.

Aho - love those Wesco packers. I currently thinking Wesco > Whites. Overall fit and finish looks far superior to the rebuild Whites did on my SJ's. 

Thanks mpukas! It's really just a matter of personal preference and YMMV depending on the individual...For me, I must admit the finish and overall look of Wesco's is more aesthetically pleasing for me but I still cant top the fit of my White's straight out of the box. It took some fiddling with inserts etc to get my Wesco's just right but it's like the White's were made for my flat feet! I think the only brand that could trump either for me would be Nick's but alas I don't own a pair and won't for quite some time...

^fre-co, if I'm being honest, I'd have to say I'd prefer them if they were standard height/not one lift lower. It's said that Wesco balances out the fit and takes this into consideration whenever they lower the heel, but there is a definite weight shift towards my heels backward on the new pair vs. the old. Aesthetically they look better lowered however!

Forgive my lack of computer savvy, but can anyone give me tips for posting a pic here..?  For some reason I always fail.  Other sites I just upload the file, but here of course it asks for the url of the pic, which is fine.  But everytime I give it, either from Snapfish or from Shutterfly, I get a message saying the file extension is not used in this community...  Just not sure what my problem is...

Thanks!

Styleforum x Tricker's Allan MTO in Teak Cordo: around 5mos of light wear

Really like captoe here -- just the right proportions, stitching, etc.  Of course, the rest of the boot looks nice too...

^ what he says! my favourite boot on this whole thread, if I ever had to pick one.

Last year there was a very similar setup for sale as a factory second on the tricker's ebay store, unfortunately not my size.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...