Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Careful of what you sell as I did the same and now regret some of my choices. I only wear boots now in poor weather or when temperatures drop, wearing them in summer is just overkill with most of the pairs I own. I've now gotta decent split of boots, trainers and shoes with some top notch models in all formats!

Just around 50 pairs in total now...although trainers make up 60% of the collection.

Yes I will, I still love stuf like footscapes, chukka wovens, a couple of converse and visvim as summer shoes. I'll probably sell the other stuff and buy some nice boots from the profit.

I found a brand new pair of yuketen maine guide boots in an outlet store for €140, anything I need to know about the treatment of these?

They closed down :( was a temporary outlet near tenue de nimes. The price tag in it said €250 but while I was thinking about the price the shop keeper told me they where €140

I was so happy I bought them straight away and didn't think about the other shoes. When I came back a few weeks later to check out the other shoes they where closed.

The leather doesn't have to be treated after some wear?

CXL is an oily leather which does not need much treatment, you should be good to for a fair while. If you notice them drying at all after a few months give them a light treatment with a good boot grease, I use Huberds.

Thanks for this images GNIS- the boots are looking good! ...The CXL isn't nearly as beaten up as I thought. Coincidentally I think my favorite parts about are the lowered heel, natural edge, and half sole. As for the celastic, I know what you mean, but I wouldn't go out of your way to fuss with the boots unless they need an overhaul anyway. I've seen a lot of examples of the toebox flattening out nicely with wear, and yours seem like they've got some of that going on. What about the Oxfords, though? They are much more bulbous that the Bounty Hunters, right? I don't know what last they use for those, and if you can request a different one. You should post some images of those too, when the child allows it.

pardon the shit quality

14789637467_71830e0f8e_z.jpg[/url]

bought these about a year ago, but they've seen maybe six months of wear all up, so pretty pissed the outer sole has already worn through.

Also, concerning the RW sole:

I'm surprised that the Heritage Chukka sole is like a thin sole on a thick sole- it totally invalidates having a thick sole in the first place, unless you're supposed to wear through it entirely and into the thicker part. Or maybe they're planning for a flood of lucrative resoles at $100 a pop.

I have the 595 Chukka (non-heritage), and while the sole is different from a Christy, it's one solid piece. As I mentioned, RW does a resole for $100, which I think includes cleaning and all-around sprucing-up, and I think you can request a different sole while you're at it, but they shouldn't need any of that after a year. You should show them to a RW dealer or wherever you bought them and cause a (considerate) fuss. If that doesn't work, maybe post that picture on twitter and tag RW Heritage and see what they say.

I have those Red Wing chukkas and you have still got a decent amount of wear in them. It took me a few years (though not wearing them that much) to wear through that first layer of sole and I've kept wearing them. I'll post pics later, but I will agree I was def surprised there were 2 layers of sole.

Gotta love White's new turn around time...

Ordered boots on 8/5; just got FedEx Tracking with estimated delivery 8/26.

What?!? I placed an order for a pair of White's through Baker nearly a week earlier and haven't heard a thing.

I really wish a mod would sticky the original "Shoes that look better with age" thread.  That was one of the best threads on Superdenim for years, and contains some of the best information on shoes/boots out there.  This thread has evolved to a different kind of dialogue, which has a much higher bar of assumed knowledge/awareness which is cool on a lot of levels, but definitely misses out on some of the fundamentals that are useful to someone that is taking this all in at once.

what did you get project?

I ordered the Classic Dress in black cxl w/ toe cap, antique hardware, and the Vibram composition half sole.

Baker confirmed they actually went out this afternoon, which is excellent turn around considering they received them earlier today.

tmadd ahhh the good old days! :)

To anyone looking to up their knowledge, FWIW I think Ironheart Forum and Styleforum have great White's/Wesco threads, lots of activity...

ed, same pair I mentioned a bit ago...Basically standard 8 Inch Smokejumper's except with 700 vibram sole...Helps explain the turn around time since the sole is the only tweak, paid $409 shipped through Bakers!

Edited by aho

Thanks mate.

I recommend going with your Viberg 2030 size; but because RM doesn't sell these in half sizes (I'm 10.5 on the 2030), I went for a 10 rather than 11.

Trying on both sizes, you could really go either way I think, but coming from many years of playing football I like a tight feel to my boots. 

The boot is definitely tighter on my larger left foot (11 fit perfect for left/10 perfect for right), but just big enough so it's not uncomfortable. The leather is so, so soft, I think it's stretched a bit too.

But if I had to advise, go with your Viberg 2030, if in-between sizes, go up or down whether you like a tight fit, or a bit of room.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...