Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Seller pics, but these '60s Red Wings are a rich, dark wine colour in person.  I'll have to take some proper pictures.

After walking around all day in them, I'll be a codger and say "they don't make 'em like they used to!" — these have a snug felted wool lining and fit much better than my 875s (10D), in which my feet feel like they're rattling around.  These are a 10.5B...  I don't know if sizing has changed over the past 45-odd years, or if Red Wing even make a B width anymore.  Meets shoes-that-look-better-with-age criteria for me...

redwing01_zps8215f90c.jpg

redwing02_zpsf3179145.jpg

The title of this thread is spot on as there are certainly shoes that I look at now that would have horrified me 20 years ago. Next stop will be coveting some beige elasticated slip-ons for shuffling around the old folks' home!

a pair of vintage black german boots that i found in the basement a few years back—they are approximately 60 years old, judging from the lining which reads »wasserdicht« (waterproof).

size is: european 43 / asian 27 cm / north american 10

i live in frankfurt am main and found a croat cobbler in stuttgart thanks to threads in a german shoe forum (http://www.newsaboutshoes.eu/forum/)—davor krivak is his name http://www.krivak.de/

he did a wonderful job and is now my cobbler of choice for future resoling jobs, although i will check out a few others as well. a few pictures he and his japanese apprentice took during the process:

19059549ab.jpg19059550pt.jpg19059551wk.jpg19059552wz.jpg19059553qx.jpg19059554qh.jpg19059555qa.jpg19059556eo.jpg19059557hx.jpg

any thought on these 1000miles compare to the normal ones? I fondled the normal chromexel ones and was not too impressed. This leather looks much more substantial finishing looks better.

They seem pretty much the same to be as the regular 1000 Mile Boot as far as construction. The Bison leather is pretty thin so they are leather lined. Other than that, pretty much the same thing...

whites just got bought ny danners :(

shit, well i'm glad my new bounty hunters just shipped.

10501861_10152184716131701_6949741664258

I don't think I could pull these off myself, but they're pretty damn cool.  I think it's safe to say that you're not going to run into anyone else with the same shoes anytime soon.

another vintage / old school pair -- these are cc41 utility clothing boots from ww2, some 70 years old ... wonderful tan color and creasing.

my third pair, an ebay purchase from last year, and responsible for my foray into collecting decades-old boots that are worth reviving, heh ... :ph34r2::laugh2:

19096422dk.jpg

19096423ok.jpg

19096424mb.jpg

resoling will cost around € 250, am weighing some interesting options. size is: european 43 / asian 27 cm / north american 10

and finally, my current favorites, also a 2013 purchase: german work or service boots in a deep, rich cherry color, between 70 to 60 years old, not unlike the black pair posted above with lining that reads "imprägniert" ("water proof").

size is: european 42 / asian 26,5 cm / north american 09

this pair is technically really shot, and will need a lot of work and dedication to shine again (literally and figuratively), cobbler's assessment was in the € 300-350 range for a restoration ... but boy, do i love their look. snatched them for € 25 on fleabay.

i've made myself some leather insoles for these old shoes, and they're absolutely comfy, no breaking in required.

19096474ee.jpg

19096475jx.jpg

19096476du.jpg

the old resoling took place sometime in the former german democratic republic -- veb inselsberg was one of the huge state-owned enterprises from the footwear industry.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...