NYC vs. SF

fredfred

NYC has a higher cost of living but not that much more....SF is great and a nice place to visit for a few weeks but I get bored out there if I stay there too long...it definitely operates on a slower pace than NYC...I'd say the only thing SF has on NYC, is the weather and the scenery.

“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?†- Aesop Rock

SF cost of living is comparable to NYC... one bdrm apt runs $1500 and up in a so-so neighborhood. SF as of late has been more and more gentrified. lots of yuppie fallout from the dot.com bust. overall I like SF better. but if were to live on the east coast, I'd represent BK to the fullest.

thought you was the next man

Living in New York and at one point wanting to move to San Fran I can actually say that the only thing SF has on NY is more sun. I did although go to San Fran last summer and it was brick ass cold in July ???!!! Ny in July is hot as fuck so I was not prepared. SF has some mellow people but I was bored within a day of being there. I have beeen living in NY for a long time and I find something new every day. Prices are almost the same with SF being a bit more expensive. You can get a decent one bedroom out in BK or Queens for like a $1,000.00. NY has everything going when shit is played out here everyone else in the country is just getting up on it.

I dont know if SF has weather over NY. The sun can be fickle and when it rains it fucking pours. I Love both citys. New York Is the economic capital of the world and just massive, But best public transportation system in the world so its not a problem. I love how each borough has its own distinct flavor. the crowds and the rush are a bit insane though. after a month you just want to scream and throw your elbows th the side. I guess it can be too much at times. SF is smaller and much more relaxed. Youre close to many cool other citys and the most beautiful beaches on the mainland. Jersy shore vs. Santa Cruz and pacifica? C'mon. SF is also a really diverse city with lots of different neighborhoods. Every one there seems to really enjoy living there. But In the end, I would have to say that both citys are equaly nice.

Edited by tripleightnigga on Feb 17, 2005 at 12:01 AM

actually...the weather in SF can be nice if you're just a tourist or living there for a short while. But if u fucking live there, I can tell you that I can't fucking stand it. It's fucking boring! There's no distinct 4 seasons here in SF and the wind(because it's near the sea) can piss you off sometimes...the wind does blow away the pollution from vehicles but it also transports dust and lint all over the city! I live in an apartment downtown and I keep both my windows open just a wee bit(I need to breathe and have fresh air!) and the dust in my room is insane! Any part of the room which you do not touch or go to often has a layer of shit on it within a short few days! As for the rain, well the problem is when it rains it doesn't stop and it goes on for at least a week or nearly a week! When I say it doesn't stop I'm not accounting for those short one or few hours that it does stop before it rains again. But at least the rain here are like sprinkles as compared to where I'm from...and there are rarely any thunderstorms. It'd be ok if it only rains once in a while for a shortwhile to add a little humidity that the friggin strong wind dries up. But it's not like that! It goes on and on and on......

Going back to the 4 seasons thing. The only real difference you can tell from the 4 different seasons is the amount of daylight you get and that during the spring and summer the sun is more vibrant and comes on more days. During fall and winter it's really gloomy and depressing. Worse if it rains! As for July being cold...SF has a pretty strange curve...the summer can be warm during the day but freezing at night and sometimes it's not even warm during the day. Bear in mind that because it's a bay city you're gonna get cool seabreeze whether it's summer or not. Mark twain once said that:" the coldest winter I've ever experienced is a summer in San Francisco. " The sarcasm is meant to reflect the fact that because of the strange curve, some years it can be colder during the summer than it is during the winter! And in those years autumn is the warmest. And as I said earlier, the weather here is monotonous and it's just boring to me.

Jeez...I sound like a weather freak. But anyway for me the main problem with the west coast(Cali) is that it's too laidback...life almost ceases to exist at night! I can't accept that in a metropolitan and cosmopolitan city. Stores don't open long enough IMO and there are so many restaurants here but hardly any of them opens till late or operates 24 hours. The only 24 hour joints are usually traditional diners or some crappy 24 hour pizza delivery. I love the energy of NYC and the fact that it just never sleeps...everything is 24/7. I need energy and I love the energy of a vibrant city(excluding the obnoxious assholes and inconsiderate loud mouths with bad behaviours)...

actually...the weather in SF can be nice if you're just a tourist or living there for a short while. But if u fucking live there, I can tell you that I can't fucking stand it. It's fucking boring! There's no distinct 4 seasons here in SF and the wind(because it's near the sea) can piss you off sometimes...the wind does blow away the pollution from vehicles but it also transports dust and lint all over the city! I live in an apartment downtown and I keep both my windows open just a wee bit(I need to breathe and have fresh air!) and the dust in my room is insane! Any part of the room which you do not touch or go to often has a layer of shit on it within a short few days! As for the rain, well the problem is when it rains it doesn't stop and it goes on for at least a week or nearly a week! When I say it doesn't stop I'm not accounting for those short one or few hours that it does stop before it rains again. But at least the rain here are like sprinkles as compared to where I'm from...and there are rarely any thunderstorms. It'd be ok if it only rains once in a while for a shortwhile to add a little humidity that the friggin strong wind dries up. But it's not like that! It goes on and on and on......

Going back to the 4 seasons thing. The only real difference you can tell from the 4 different seasons is the amount of daylight you get and that during the spring and summer the sun is more vibrant and comes on more days. During fall and winter it's really gloomy and depressing. Worse if it rains! As for July being cold...SF has a pretty strange curve...the summer can be warm during the day but freezing at night and sometimes it's not even warm during the day. Bear in mind that because it's a bay city you're gonna get cool seabreeze whether it's summer or not. Mark twain once said that:" the coldest winter I've ever experienced is a summer in San Francisco. " The sarcasm is meant to reflect the fact that because of the strange curve, some years it can be colder during the summer than it is during the winter! And in those years autumn is the warmest. And as I said earlier, the weather here is monotonous and it's just boring to me.

Jeez...I sound like a weather freak. But anyway for me the main problem with the west coast(Cali) is that it's too laidback...life almost ceases to exist at night! I can't accept that in a metropolitan and cosmopolitan city. Stores don't open long enough IMO and there are so many restaurants here but hardly any of them opens till late or operates 24 hours. The only 24 hour joints are usually traditional diners or some crappy 24 hour pizza delivery. I love the energy of NYC and the fact that it just never sleeps...everything is 24/7. I need energy and I love the energy of a vibrant city(excluding the obnoxious assholes and inconsiderate loud mouths with bad behaviours)...

I'm here to tell you that if you move to SF, you better like parking. Not in the fun 50s sense of hooking up with a person of your choosing in a car on a hilltop. In the NOT FUN driving your ass around and around and around again trying to find a rathole to squeeze your car into.

And please don't try to tell me that you don't need a car in SF. You don't need a car in SF like you don't need a drink in your hand at precisely 5:00 pm every Friday. Public transportation doesn't go anywhere that you need it to -- like your friends' houses or any interesting restaurants. And walking, while fun in theory, will make you cry after the third 15% grade you walk up (or down).

On the upside, there is some TERRIFIC food to be eaten, but it's not like NY is lacking.

Well, I'm a SF native living in NYC now...

SF pros:

weather (usually warm during spring and autumn)

outside activities drive away (windsurf, snowboard, surf, waterski, boarding, etc.)

homey feel (small tight neighborhoods)

many ethnic eats

diverse life

drive a car everywhere

nice public transportation system

SF cons:

unpredictable weather in summer/winter

few nightlife activities

minimal citylife

tourists everywhere

limited time public transportation system

drive a car everywhere

nyc pros:

4 season

cultural events daily

meet more people

boro flavors (each has its own flavor like vast-sized neighborhood)

fast paced vibe

extensive public transportation (and some are 24 hrs)

nyc cons:

winters suck the joy out of you

high $$$ of living

no outside activities (thus many gyms everywhere)

no car

cluttered apt

so conclusions: if u dig physical outie activities stick with SF and if you dig city life all the way without access to anywhere, stick with nyc.

• 3 weeks later...