Superfuture Movie Club

jackg

anyone?! 

i really enjoyed it, visually fantastic. the shots of adam's apartment coupled with the dilapidated ruins of detroit, was great. 

but then the chemistry of adam and eve was cool, as well. jj spoke below about how the film was more so a character study then a conventional vampire flick, just considering how long the two had been together - eve being 3000 years old, while adam 500.

loved the last scene as the movie faded out.

what about you guys? 

I guess for me it all came down to my expectations: the film was alright, visually interesting as you said, stylish music, costumes and set design, but just so underwhelming when you consider it's coming from Jarmusch. 

I'm thinking about the endless repetition of jokes, which were not that funny to begin with. And the annoying name dropping with that wall of historical personalities. The way the film tries to reference the genre feels lazy and uninspired, much like in Limits of Control. 

And for me Tilda Swinton's thing she does is really stale, especially if you compare it to her hilarious performance in Snowpiercer. 

I would say it feels like Jarmusch, as many older directors, is trying to transition to a different kind of style. But this can't be it. 

Edited by digitalmountain

could be wrong but I'm pretty sure by the time you can see files in dropbox, they've already synced to your comp ie damage is already done RE bandwidth issues.

afaik the program just updates your hardrive in realtime with stuff stored in a cloud. similarly, if you change anything, it changes in the cloud and therefore on everyone else's HDDs as well (hence why we had issues with people taking files out of the dropbox w/o realising)

I'm thinking about the endless repetition of jokes, which were not that funny to begin with. And the annoying name dropping with that wall of historical personalities.

This would've been my one complaint as well. The whole Christopher Marlowe backstory was a bit of an eye roll for me.  

I thought it was good as a character study. you really have to know that though to enjoy the film, as arguably there isn't too much of a plot. loved the ending + beginning namely 4 the cinematography in the beginning / how they opened it. thought Mia Wasikowska was really good in it too

• 5 weeks later...

dunno why i just discovered this thread... i've been dying to watch and discuss movies. I pretty much watch trailers and read reviews all day. can i get access to the dropbox? thx!

pm me with your email address. 

sorry i have once again dropped the ball....resurfacing on this now

Your avatar reminded me of Jodorowsky's Dune. Has that been added to the Dropbox? And have you seen it yourself? I can definitely recommend it. It's rather inspiring.

it all appears to be in order at my end...? is anyone still struggling to get access?

try closing the dropbox program and re-opening. 

Jodorowsky's Dune has not been viewed - and it was a film i was very interested to see when the trailers first emerged but never got around to. 

lets give snowpiercer a couple more days - then upload JD. do you have a copy or would you like me to source one? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd be down to start it again, but only if we get say 5 ppl. who're truly interested in watching one every 10 days or so. 

Then we could rotate, picking a film between each one of us. Takes the pressure of Jack, who I know is far busier these days. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...