Hiut Denim

Crat

How is the red rivet holding up? I put mine thru an initial wash and soon thereafter it popped off. The good news is David and co. have been kind enough to say they will cover postage once I send it back for repair.

Still firmly in place. They have not yet been washed. Good to hear about their customer service.

How have the organics broken in?

• 2 weeks later...

Danny & Groove....How are you Hiuts coming along?

Hiut are now offering a service providing Limited Ed runs on Jeans 1/10 etc.

I was curious so have emailed them about the possibility of a heavyweight - 16oz or so denim.

Not sure if the features can be tweaked - Selvage fly, hidden rivets etc? Be nice if they could.

Both Jon and Naomi have been in touch and seem interested. I'm waiting for any further developments now.

I think these might make a for really nice Jeans, if an interesting (meaning, slubbly,Hairy,irregular) denim could be used.

Will let you know what i find out.

Edited by UkeNo

I got word from Naomi last week that my jeans are being shipped back to me, and then I'll put em in the rotation. I'm really happy for them, love their enthusiasm, and dig the idea behind the jeans, but the customer experience has just been so-so thus far.

Somehow a copy of my home address ended up posted on their support site, and the red rivet... I wonder if it's a design flaw. I'm hoping they didn't forget to reimburse me for the shipping cost (they offered, but no mention in the last email) but I haven't received the package yet, so who knows. However, everyone has been very kind and responsive, so that's a plus.

Keep us posted on those jeans, uke-- sounds like a cool idea.

Danny & Groove....How are you Hiuts coming along?

Hiut are now offering a service providing Limited Ed runs on Jeans 1/10 etc.

I was curious so have emailed them about the possibility of a heavyweight - 16oz or so denim.

Not sure if the features can be tweaked - Selvage fly, hidden rivets etc? Be nice if they could.

Both Jon and Naomi have been in touch and seem interested. I'm waiting for any further developments now.

I think these might make a for really nice Jeans, if an interesting (meaning, slubbly,Hairy,irregular) denim could be used.

Will let you know what i find out.

Hi Ukeno,

My Hiuts have just hit the 6 month mark and look great. The rivet is still firmly in place so i did not have Gtoove's misfortune.

I'm a big fan of this 14 oz. Kuroki selvedge. I've loved it at every stage from crispy new to now when some real contrast is coming through.

• 1 month later...

With much embarrassment for how late this post is I can finally post this here! Sadly I haven’t had any image editing software to get these images sorted but now they are here!

I got in touch with Danny at Rivet and Hide and made an appointment to see him, however before actually purchasing anything we went to a great pub literally across the road and had a wonderful discussion and chat about denim and the future of Rivet and Hide over a drink, what more do you want?!

Then we entered Danny’s amazing place, it’s literally like a denim mecca with so many pairs and brands and other products I had a first hands on experience with some Steel Feathers and a pair of Flat Head 3001s which are definitely going to be my next purchase. Midway through trying things on Danny also made me quite frankly a bloody brilliant espresso; putting his barista skills into action, talk about hospitality once again!

I also finally got to understand why people rant and rave about the Flat Head hoodies and jumpers, the fabric on them really is incredible. Another purchase that is also going to be made is that of one of the Rivet and Hide bridle leather belts, the colour on them is gorgeous and the quality of the leather is wonderful.

But to the business at hand, on the day I purchase a size 31 pair of Hiut Slim Selvedges after talking about what kind of fit I wanted and liked with Danny and all I can say is that his advice and understanding of what I wanted was spot on and they’re made here in the UK so I’m helping out the economy aha!

8610976770_5f08f3ddc3_b.jpg

8610974902_6cccc1978a_b.jpg

As you can see they definitely needed a hem which Danny said would be done that very evening on their Union Special 43200g and the jeans would be back with me again in less than 36 hours. It was awesome to get to see one of these machines in the flesh considering how legendary they are.

8609868509_b239228cf0_b.jpg

Here you can see the fit again and me as one very happy customer! I really love the Kuroki denim these are made of and the build quality on them is incredible especially with all the little details:

8609867339_5973de4e2f_b.jpg

8610970052_d37029dc0e_b.jpg

8609866547_2b6fa3a4a8_b.jpg

Here’s their first real outing and fit, they travelled with me to Edinburgh to see the city and be a tourist in general as a break from their standard uni life:

8609864589_5a8cb760e0_b.jpg

Love the really sharp honeycombs they have.

And here they are just under 2 months of wear down the line, finally breaking in with electric blue hints on the whiskers and honeycombs and of course the wallet fade:

Colour isn’t true on the front ones, but the view of the back is true to colour

8609882341_db1e41f227_b.jpg

8609880543_14be22b3d2_b.jpg

8610985616_4b8eb2b4fe_b.jpg

Absolutely love this pair and they are by far my go to, going to be wearing them for as long as possible before their first wash where they’ll probably lose another inch or inch and a half in the inseam so will then see whether or not they need to be hemmed or anything at all, this is mainly so I can have an excuse to go see Danny again!

Edited by xEnvy

• 2 months later...

That's an idea....

Quote from Hiut;

"This is an experiment.

Some experiments succeed. Some fail.

It’s good to keep that in mind from the start.

So, here’s the idea.

You are going to break our selvedge jeans in for our customers.

You will have to agree to not wash them for 6 months.

You will have to agree to update what you get up in them on HistoryTag.

And before you get them sent to you have pay a small deposit, which we will refund on their safe return.

When we get them back, we will expertly wash them.

And then we will sell these beautiful jeans.

You will have 20% of the sale.

So in effect you will be paid to wear jeans.

This may sound dumb, but we are here to find new ways of doing business.

So we have to try new things in order to get our town making jeans again. "

Be really good for people that cant justify the expense of the jeans themselves and its unusual to actually get something for your efforts financially from denim. So it's an interesting proposal.

Anyone think they'll do this?

Edited by UkeNo

Isn't that how fake vintage Levis get such desirable fades? Getting manual workers to wear 'em then wash and sell on. 

Whilst I think the ethos of Hiut is admirable (and there's an article on Howies and the genesis of Hiut in the latest Privateer, an MTB magazine), I shudder every time I read the no-wash for six month mantra repeated. Its ubiquitous these days. 

I joined the denim breaker club the other day and am on the list for september! They can only allow so many people to join each month so you have to be quick. Just drop them an email or give them a call about it and you pay 85 pounds as a deposit. Can't wait!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...