Levi's Vintage Clothing

ironheartfan123 could you at least enlighten me on why you gave a negative rep, because to me it means that the post has offended or contains offensive content...and I don't think it has that.  No problem for me actually but it will help me learn how to give more accurate reps for others too.  Thanks

ironheartfan123 could you at least enlighten me on why you gave a negative rep, because to me it means that the post has offended or contains offensive content...and I don't think it has that.  No problem for me actually but it will help me learn how to give more accurate reps for others too.  Thanks

you dumped a long quote, apparently responsive to my previous post, without really specifying how it/which part related to the discussion; instead of asking a clear and concise question, you shifted the work to me/others to read through that dump (and your other posts) and to try to figure what you are getting at

In what way does unsanforized denim that has been washed age differently to sanforized denim other than the fact they are simply 2 different denims?

The Japanese tend to really prefer unsanforized denim, in much the same way that they don't like broken twill; they have a fixed idea of what's classic.

There is a difference in the look; you get more of a micro-contrast in unsanforized, little dots of fade, because the fabric has moved and produced tiny bumps when it first shrinks (sanforized denim, in contrast, is very flat). This means, generally, that sanforized denim gives a smoother fade. Personally i disagree with Kiya that it looks worse, it simply looks different.

My Sanforized lees have given me some of the most reliable fades of all my old jeans.

My question about whether the Rough Rinse version of the 1947 will shrink or not upon soaking has been answered.  Then I stumbled upon the issue of whether I should soak it before the breaking-in period or I can leave it as is and just beat the hell out of them.  Thoughts please.  Thanks!

there's no good reason to soak them in again.

Edited by Paul T

you dumped a long quote, apparently responsive to my previous post, without really specifying how it/which part related to the discussion; instead of asking a clear and concise question, you shifted the work to me/others to read through that dump (and your other posts) and to try to figure what you are getting at

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

That wasn't actually for you, if it was I should've mentioned your name, it's for others to get additional info of what I was trying to arrive at (we're in a forum remember?), but I think you took it personally as offensive to you for some reason only you can understand.  Anyway, it's not my problem, it's yours. :D

Edited by mf051404

That wasn't actually for you, it's for others to get additional info of what I was trying to arrive at, but I think you took it personally as offensive to you.  Anyway. it's not my problem, it's yours. :D

i don't have a problem and i wasn't offended, i just clicked the red rep button; in terms of what you are "trying to arrive at" i gave you the same answer you just thanked paul_t for a few posts back (and i think you didn't accept it because you were still confused about the differences between sanforized, unsanforized, soaked, rinsed, etc. and thought i was maybe missing something mentioned in that long quote)

after re-reading the forum rules, i think your inital post to me about why i negged would've been better off in PM and hoggresser's abusive and insulting post should be deleted

Edited by ironheartfan123

I know the differences between those terms @ironheartfan123 if I could explain it well I wouldn't have quoted that post (besides it's what the "Quote" and "Multiquote  are there for), but to get back to objectivity and for your benefit I'll try to explain.  "Rinsed" is a term used by Levi's to say it has been "processed", but I think it's different from your normal DIY soak/rinse of water in pail/tub, it probably involves factory chemicals (besides, someone mentioned about a resin treatment).  The keyword mentioned in that post I quoted is "open the fibers", which could be a result of DIY soaking, and not the factory processing? That's why I'm asking if I need to DIY soak it (it's not for the shrinkage but for the "opening of the fibers" thing which could lead to "better" fading, if that is in fact true).  I hope I explained it well this time.

Edited by mf051404

I know the differences between those terms @ironheartfan123 if I could explain it well I wouldn't have quoted that post (besides it's what the "Quote" and "Multiquote  are there for), but to get back to objectivity and for your benefit I'll try to explain.  "Rinsed" is a term used by Levi's to say it has been "processed", but I think it's different from your normal DIY soak/rinse of water in pail/tub, it probably involves factory chemicals (besides, someone mentioned about a resin treatment).  The keyword mentioned in that post I quoted is "open the fibers", which could be a result of DIY soaking, and not the factory processing? That's why I'm asking if I need to DIY soak it (it's not for the shrinkage but for the "opening of the fibers" thing which could lead to "better" fading, if that is in fact true).  I hope I explained it well this time.

i sincerely thank you for reminding me why i don't purchase anything made by Levi's/LVC

Thank You.

*vanishes from LVC thread*

So with Vente-Privee's LVC sale going on, a pair of the 1878 pantaloons caught my eye. Any thoughts on them? Is the lack of a left butt pocket frustrating? For 65 bucks though....

Personally I think that would be a great choice, for a couple reasons. 

First, it is nice as a "collector's item" although having them "to have them" shouldn't alone be a reason of course. All LVC's are historic in some sense, but these are interesting as they are from before Levi's switched to its 501 numbering system. And those arcs are one of the coolest in the brand's history.

The lack of back left pocket could be an annoyance at first depending upon your habits. Most people tend to go phone in front, wallet in back, and keys either in front or clipped. If you do use both, like moleskin/field notes in one, wallet in the other, you may have to switch up your routine. This might not be so bad, because (depending on how you size them) if you look at the fit closely, that top block is a little fuller so the front pockets could be more functional than those found on the slimmer denims much of us are used to (of course not everyone though). 

If you do use your "fifth pocket" as it later would be known, that single back right on the pantaloons is going to get more usage, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you look at that pocket it is nicely sized, riveted, and seems to sit low enough as to not be sat on quite as directly as a higher, more modern position. 

Another cool thing about those is that the rise is high enough that you won't be blowing out a crotch every few months (again, relative to how you size). If you do decide to size them down a bit, I think you might be surprised at how wearable they will be. Check Hickoree's old listing of them and you'll see what I mean. http://www.hickorees.com/brand/levis-vintage-clothing/product/1878-pantaloons-jeans-raw-denim 

Obviously, if you wear them true or bigger they still will be awesome, just a different silhouette. Take a good look at the measurements, although I haven't measured them personally, retailers have a size 32 leg opening anywhere from 7.75 to 8.5. I'm guessing that its closer to the latter. 

The one pair I've seen in the flesh were sized BIG and he used the cinch, but they were really cool. The denim became incredibly soft and thin, with a very vibrant bright blue. (This guy was old school and washed them a bunch) Although they were repaired along the cufflines, I don't think the light weight was a factor. 

Finally, man it would be nice in the summer to be able to rock denim that light, at 9 oz (or 11 after shrink, depending on who you talk to). 

Thanks for the detailed response dude! Yeah I think I'm going to get them especially at that price. I thought I'd hold out for some 501zs but I'm down for trying something new (or really old I guess lol). I'm just gonna work out how I want to size them. Gotta get that tape out again....

• 2 weeks later...

For sale: LVC Indigo stripe 1950s t-shirt, size M, worn twice, washed once, bought around 2011 I think. too big for me, fits more like a L in comparison to the 1960s striped tees I have. Some very slight deliberate distressing (barely noticeable) on edges of hem and sleeves.

£20 shipped in the EU. Elsewhere I'll check postage costs.

Chest (P2P): 21.5"

Length (bottom of collar to hem): 27"

Shoulders: 17"

Waist: 22"

Sleeve length (from shoulder): "

Sleeve width: 7.5"

image-20.jpg

image-21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guru,

Currently I eyeing on a pair of LVC 1947 501 Jeans from UnionMade.

Notice that there are three type of 1947 and was told by mf051404 with the following information.

Rigid = raw

New Rinse = pre-shrunk

Rough Rinse = wrinkled and pre-shrunk and has been resin treatment aimed at faster fading

Probably, I will go for 1947 Rigid but sadly to say that I believe I couldn't find a store in Singapore that sell LVC 1947 Rigid and leave with no choice to order from online site.

Could you guys enlighten me which online would be better in term of price and service.   

Thank in advance... :)

I usually find things on Ebay, but if you would like other options, I think a lot of people buy things from Mr.Porter,  here's an example: http://www.mrporter.com/intl/en-ph/mens/levis_vintage_clothing/501-shrink-to-fit-selvedge-denim-jeans/399148?channel=INTL&country=SG

I think that is raw.

There's also a thread about sales/deals maybe you could extract something from there: http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/113973-superdenim-saledeals-thread/page-40?hl=deal#entry3085487

You could also hunt here: http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/forum/21-supermarket/

Goodluck!

Hi Guru,

Currently I eyeing on a pair of LVC 1947 501 Jeans from UnionMade.

Notice that there are three type of 1947 and was told by mf051404 with the following information.

Rigid = raw

New Rinse = pre-shrunk

Rough Rinse = wrinkled and pre-shrunk and has been resin treatment aimed at faster fading

Probably, I will go for 1947 Rigid but sadly to say that I believe I couldn't find a store in Singapore that sell LVC 1947 Rigid and leave with no choice to order from online site.

Could you guys enlighten me which online would be better in term of price and service.   

Thank in advance... :)

I usually find things on Ebay, but if you would like other options, I think a lot of people buy things from Mr.Porter,  here's an example: http://www.mrporter.com/intl/en-ph/mens/levis_vintage_clothing/501-shrink-to-fit-selvedge-denim-jeans/399148?channel=INTL&country=SG

I think that is raw.

Raw or not, €345 is a fucking crazy price to charge for them.

Raw or not, €345 is a fucking crazy price to charge for them.

Yeah that would be ridiculous :D

But when I open the Mr. Porter link it says Â£179.17, or you meant something else? (I won't even pay for that price, I will always hunt for deals)